Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/12/2015 7:40:41 PM EDT
Budget is 5k$ Most likely gonna order tomorrow if TNVC is open.

Below is what a friend who knows about NV and I came up with.

I already have a USGI RINO mount, I'm not opposed to buying a better mount, but figured I'd get used to everything so I can decide what my likes and dislikes are first.

What is the preferred color for a infrared beacon?

Already bought this

UPDATE 1/14

Ok below is what I ended up ordering today. Thanks for y'all's suggestions. I plan on picking up a TW helmet in the future most likely before this stuff comes in the mail. Should have everything late March.

Link Posted: 1/12/2015 7:56:45 PM EDT
[#1]
I asked the same question a while back and was steered away from the nightcap by everyone. They say it's a handy thing to have but you need a helmet for your initial setup. Much more sturdy and comfortable.
Link Posted: 1/12/2015 8:08:58 PM EDT
[#2]
The Protec is good for the $$$. The half I think for EarPro. Good luck on the NV. I wish I could afford a IR laser like the one you are getting. Nice job
Link Posted: 1/12/2015 8:29:56 PM EDT
[#3]
Disclaimer - far from an "expert"!

Not sure I understand the "color" for IR beacon... seems like it will show up as bright green regardless.

Agree with the helmet vs nightcap thing (even though I don't have a nightcap - used the same stability reasoning myself).  I have two - a Opscore FAST bump (bulit-in shroud), and a Team Wendy Exfil Ballistic.  TW is slightly more comfortable, certainly more durable, but 4+ times the cost.

RINO mount - perfectly serviceable, and not $400+.

Excellent choice on the NVD - you'll be very happy with it.
Link Posted: 1/12/2015 9:06:28 PM EDT
[#4]
I prefer my nightcap over my helmet most times. With the gi rhino mount I find it lets you get the nod closer to your head with less cantilever effect. You can always get a helmet down the road as well.

The super tac is a bad ass light. Works damn well out to 600yd or so. Quite concentrated and minimal spill. I do run a butler cap with small hole drilled in it for a diffuser inside of 100yd.
Link Posted: 1/12/2015 9:10:00 PM EDT
[#5]
go for the team wendy LTP over the nightcap

overall i think you would be happier with it, you can always pick the nightcap up later if you want something super compact

other than that looks like a great way to get your feet wet
Link Posted: 1/12/2015 9:13:15 PM EDT
[#6]
I love my nightcap. Nice being able to stuff it in a pocket when not being used. But, if you're going to be doing a bunch of Rambo shit you might want a helmet.
Link Posted: 1/12/2015 9:21:27 PM EDT
[#7]
Thanks for the suggestions. Keep them coming.
Link Posted: 1/12/2015 9:36:23 PM EDT
[#8]
Same disclaimer as above...I am not an expert, and I did not stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night.    I have however been using a PVS-14 for about eight+ years, and have tested most every helmet and mount combination commonly available, including the Nightcap.

The Nightcap and helmets both have their place; different tools for different tasks.  I'd be inclined to recommend starting with a bump helmet, particularly since you plan to use a USGI Rhino mount.  FTO is suboptimal on the Nightcap.

Since it appears to be within your budget, I would recommend the TW LTP.  It is arguably the most adjustable/comfortable of the helmet types generally available, and the moulded in aluminum insert is a bonus.  Comfort is absolutely key when selecting headgear!  The only exception is if you plan to run OTH ear pro/comms headset, in which case the OC is a better option.  I am assuming that you don't need the expense and weight of ballistic, since you are considering the Nightcap.

Hope this helps, and you will definitely like your new rig.
Link Posted: 1/12/2015 9:54:42 PM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Same disclaimer as above...I am not an expert, and I did not stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night.    I have however been using a PVS-14 for about eight+ years, and have tested most every helmet and mount combination commonly available, including the Nightcap.

The Nightcap and helmets both have their place; different tools for different tasks.  I'd be inclined to recommend starting with a bump helmet, particularly since you plan to use a USGI Rhino mount.  FTO is suboptimal on the Nightcap.

Since it appears to be within your budget, I would recommend the TW LTP.  It is arguably the most adjustable/comfortable of the helmet types generally available, and the moulded in aluminum insert is a bonus.  Comfort is absolutely key when selecting headgear!  The only exception is if you plan to run OTH ear pro/comms headset, in which case the OC is a better option.  I am assuming that you don't need the expense and weight of ballistic, since you are considering the Nightcap.

Hope this helps, and you will definitely like your new rig.
View Quote

Considering adding the TW LTP to the bundle. I use Howard leight ear muffs will this not interface?

ETA a hoe do I determin the size of my melon? I'm sure I'm XL, but just wanting to make sure.
Link Posted: 1/12/2015 10:15:57 PM EDT
[#10]
I am not particularly familiar with the Howard Leights as I have been using Sordin/MSA and TCI for many years.  Are you planning to run them with an OTH [over-the-head] headband, or using some form of swing-up rail mounted adapter?

My experience with a borrowed TW is that OTH headsets do not work well because the helmet suspension and headband interfere.  With my OCs, I run the headband BETWEEN the suspension and the helmet shell.  With the MICH, I use a split crown pad to provide clearance for the headband.  With a Nightcap, the headset obviously fits over the top, but may not provide the best of seal over your ears depending on how low the cap rides on your head.

As far as melon size, do you have a seamstress tape measure?  If not, you can use a piece of string or whatever and a regular tape measure, yardstick, etc.  Measure around your head at the widest point above the ears.  If you know you hat size, take that number and multiply by PI [3.14159].

ETA - I just noticed that you are HFD.
Link Posted: 1/13/2015 10:13:00 AM EDT
[#11]
Whats your intended use for your NV gear?

If hog hunting then something light weight and breathable like the night cap makes sense. But if you are intending for this gear to be used for... dare i say the word "tactical" situations that you will want a helmet. Not only does i provide bump and possibly ballistic protection but it will be a more stable platform as well.

For IR laser you might want to consider the civilian PEQ-15, about the same price and possibly better features. I use a surefire x400v irc on my rifle, has everything i need at a fraction of the cost and weight of the PEQ-15.
Link Posted: 1/13/2015 10:16:07 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Whats your intended use for your NV gear?

If hog hunting then something light weight and breathable like the night cap makes sense. But if you are intending for this gear to be used for... dare i say the word "tactical" situations that you will want a helmet. Not only does i provide bump and possibly ballistic protection but it will be a more stable platform as well.

For IR laser you might want to consider the civilian PEQ-15, about the same price and possibly better features. I use a surefire x400v irc on my rifle, has everything i need at a fraction of the cost and weight of the PEQ-15.
View Quote

Mostly hunting.

After reading this and this it appears the a3 will be the best bang for my buck.
Link Posted: 1/13/2015 11:25:32 AM EDT
[#13]
I've got the TW and the Night Cap.  When hunting, I use the Night Cap 95% of the time.  Only thing I'd add is a Streamlight Sidewinder II Compact with IR light to attach to the TW of the Night Cap.  If attaching to the Night Cap, you can add a small piece of Magpul polymer rail to the side and it works great.
Link Posted: 1/13/2015 12:01:22 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 1/13/2015 1:26:21 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
FYI the blue option means the beacon will flash a visible blue. Can be seen without NODs.

Looks like a decent setup. Only thing I would ask you to think about is the Phoenix Jr beacon. Why the 9volt model and not the 123 version? There are advantages to both, but let me just elaborate on my experiences with them. The 9V model, means that the beacon itself is stuck to the top of the battery, when done, it stays on constant. There is no on/off switch. Which means the only way to get your beacon to stop flashing is to separate the two pieces. Which means you have two separate pieces to keep track of in your pocket, bag or whatever else. IME, a hassle. Phoenix JR 123 takes the CR123. When the battery is installed, the beacon stays on constant, there is no on/off HOWEVER, when you don't want your beacon on anymore, stow the battery upside down.

Just something to think about.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Budget is 5k$ Most likely gonna order tomorrow if TNVC is open.

Below is what a friend who knows about NV and I came up with.

I already have a USGI RINO mount, I'm not opposed to buying a better mount, but figured I'd get used to everything so I can decide what my likes and dislikes are first.

What is the preferred color for a infrared beacon?

http://i575.photobucket.com/albums/ss195/wpeschel/d5d4704d4082be2d250573f3dca4b8ca.jpg

Already bought this

http://i575.photobucket.com/albums/ss195/wpeschel/f3e8941d48c7e81fd206b90d589297ba.jpg
FYI the blue option means the beacon will flash a visible blue. Can be seen without NODs.

Looks like a decent setup. Only thing I would ask you to think about is the Phoenix Jr beacon. Why the 9volt model and not the 123 version? There are advantages to both, but let me just elaborate on my experiences with them. The 9V model, means that the beacon itself is stuck to the top of the battery, when done, it stays on constant. There is no on/off switch. Which means the only way to get your beacon to stop flashing is to separate the two pieces. Which means you have two separate pieces to keep track of in your pocket, bag or whatever else. IME, a hassle. Phoenix JR 123 takes the CR123. When the battery is installed, the beacon stays on constant, there is no on/off HOWEVER, when you don't want your beacon on anymore, stow the battery upside down.

Just something to think about.

Honestly I didn't see that model, but I'd rather have that one because I keep numerous cr123 batteries on hand.
Link Posted: 1/13/2015 4:17:16 PM EDT
[#16]
I was recommended THIS by Teddy at tnvc. What do yall think? Or should I just spring for the Norotos INVG.
Link Posted: 1/13/2015 4:41:38 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I was recommended THIS by Teddy at tnvc. What do yall think? Or should I just spring for the Norotos INVG.
View Quote

thats the one vic recommended to me. I purchased it last week with my PVS14 so I don't have it yet.
Link Posted: 1/13/2015 5:24:15 PM EDT
[#18]
IMHO good choice going w/ the Nightcap, it's a wonderful item.  I use it much more than the helmets I have.  I would also add a EOG low profile short counterweight and a Princeton Tec switch light.  Those two items go with the Nightcap like peanut butter and jelly.  Also, you're going to want thermal at some point too...  it's the natural progression of things
Link Posted: 1/13/2015 5:40:45 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
IMHO good choice going w/ the Nightcap, it's a wonderful item.  I use it much more than the helmets I have.  I would also add a EOG low profile short counterweight and a Princeton Tec switch light.  Those two items go with the Nightcap like peanut butter and jelly.  Also, you're going to want thermal at some point too...  it's the natural progression of things
View Quote

How do you attach it to the cap?
Link Posted: 1/13/2015 6:06:34 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The counterweight goes right on the Velcro on the back of the cap and the light is attached where the top tension straps crisscross.  I've got a pic of mine below, I typically wear it w/ NODs at least a few hours each week.  

Link Posted: 1/13/2015 6:10:48 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

The counterweight goes right on the Velcro on the back of the cap and the light is attached where the top tension straps crisscross.  I've got a pic of mine below, I typically wear it w/ NODs at least a few hours each week.  

http://i90.photobucket.com/albums/k277/cake5150/20150113_170005_zps24b8b4d6.jpg

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://i90.photobucket.com/albums/k277/cake5150/20150113_170005_zps24b8b4d6.jpg

Looks good. Just making sure I didn't have to buy anything else.
Link Posted: 1/13/2015 6:13:23 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
View Quote

I almost forgot to add, a Wilcox lanyard is a wise idea as well.
Link Posted: 1/13/2015 6:26:52 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yes getting that with the Wilcox L4 shroud
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 9:44:15 PM EDT
[#24]
One more thing what eye should I wear my monocular on?

I shoot right handed.
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 9:52:42 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

I shoot right handed.
View Quote

I wear it over my left eye.  I used to wear it over my right eye but I kept seeing people on here with theirs set up over the non-dominant eye so I thought I'd give it a try.  I'm glad I did, it's better IMHO.
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 9:54:08 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

I wear it over my left eye.  I used to wear it over my right eye but I kept seeing people on here with theirs set up over the non-dominant eye so I thought I'd give it a try.  I'm glad I did, it's better IMHO.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I shoot right handed.

Thanks. That's what I've been noticing too.
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 10:55:43 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I shoot right handed.

big +1 for folks who are not cross-eye dominant
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top