Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/27/2014 9:46:13 PM EDT
Hey guys, I've come here to seek advice from all of you experts in the NV forum. I'm in the market for both an IR illuminator and IR laser. What are the best combinations both performance-wise and weight-wise when it comes to these? The two set ups I am currently considering are either a DBAL D2 or CQBL-1 in combination with either a TNVC Torch Pro or a SF m720v. My thought is that I can shed some weight during the day by taking the IR illuminator off if I take the second route, but ultimately I am having trouble pulling the trigger on either until I hear from people who have experience with one or the other. My current set up is a PVS-24 in front of a Trijicon Accupoint with helmet-mounted anvis 9 if that helps at all.
Link Posted: 4/27/2014 10:34:47 PM EDT
[#1]
I have the CQBL and it is nice and mounts low to the rail, but because of that you can't mount it behind anything.  The dot is also pretty bright and big and can be a little more difficult to pinpoint a target.  It would be nice if you could adjust the IR laser power or if someone would make a neutral density filter to fit it.  I'm also thinking of picking up a D2 for another gun.  Both are currently on sale at TNVC for a couple more days, better hurry and decide
Link Posted: 4/28/2014 6:10:46 AM EDT
[#2]
We have yet another first post on arfcom attracted by the NV forum; welcome to arfcom ShotgunWilly!

I have posted before that I am not a big fan of the D2 somewhat because of the size and weight and price, but most importantly the relatively low runtime of the illuminator and the fact that it shares the same battery as the aiming lasers.  I do not own one, and seriously doubt that I ever will, but I have demo'd them on multiple occasions.  Maybe they work great for some folks' applications; mine are just not one of them.

My preferred Class 1 aiming laser is the ITAL (or OTAL)..... compact, relatively lightweight, stupid simple controls, good QD mount, and cost effective.  I don't use VIS lasers, but if you do, the CQBL is a good option for a little more $$$, and has slaved lasers versus the I2, but no QD.

As far as illuminators, I have M1-IRs, Vampires, and a TorchPro.  They are different tools for different tasks, basically depending on range, and it would be an apples-to-oranges-to-limes comparison.

Just out of curiosity, what attracts you to the 720?  I have never used one, but it seems fairly heavy at 9.6 oz., the controls look fairly complicated for ops in the dark by muscle memory, and they are fairly pricey.  I also can't stand the SF QD mounts on any device...unnecessarily complicated.  

Speaking of weights, since you indicate that as one of your selection criteria:

My favorite M600V with clickie tailcap and LT-172 mount is 6.65 oz.
My ITAL is 6.27 oz. with pressure switch.
The TorchPro is advertised at 9.5 oz., and I can confirm that mine is 9.54 oz.
The D2 is advertised at 12.5 oz.
The CQBL is advertised at 6.0 oz., which surprises me a little, but isn't unreasonable considering that it doesn't have a QD mount like my ITAL.

Think about this....for the price of a D2, you could buy a CQBL AND a TorchPro AND an M600V (shopping the EE for parts), and still probably have enough $$$ left over to buy an M1-IR, which many folks consider a "must have" in the NV toolbox.  If you were to go the ITAL/OTAL route instead of the CQBL, you would most definitely have the $$$ for the M1-IR, as well as a nice dinner out with your significant other on top of that.  

Your option 2 seems a much better way to go.
Link Posted: 4/28/2014 7:24:21 AM EDT
[#3]
Murderman, thanks for the advice. You just confirmed for me what I was already leaning towards. If one device were to die, I would still be able to use the other, unlike on the DBAL D2. As for the illuminator, I will probably opt for either the m600v or the Torch Pro. Luckily, there isn't currently a sale on either one of those so I have some time to decide. I appreciate all of the help. I'll have to post up my night hunting set up in one of picture threads sometime soon.
Link Posted: 4/28/2014 11:23:33 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 4/28/2014 4:03:43 PM EDT
[#5]
Thank you guys for making this decision process much easier. I feel confident with my choice now. TNVC, I think that you will be seeing my business in the very near future, before your sale is over.
Link Posted: 4/28/2014 5:22:12 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
an M1-IR, which many folks consider a "must have" in the NV toolbox

View Quote

I remember reading a post where Vic, I think, mentioned having two M1's.  Never having used one I didn't understand why someone would have multiples of the same small IR illuminator, so I bought one just out of curiosity.

My next TNVC order will include a second M1.  

Those little guys are HANDY, and put out a beautiful IR beam (is it even possible for an IR beam to be beautiful?  Yes.  Move along, don't judge me.) that makes it my go-to illuminator when moving.  

Link Posted: 4/28/2014 6:22:29 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Laser Devices SPIR = 950 yards with the narrowest beam setting
DBAL-D2 = 700 yards with the narrowest beam setting
TNVC Torch Pro = 600 yards with the narrowest beam setting
Surefire Vampire = 180 yards
RAPTAR ES Lite = ~45 yards
View Quote

But in all seriousness, how would the above rank in most/widest useable flood at ~100 yards?  Same relative order?

Link Posted: 4/28/2014 6:25:00 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 4/28/2014 6:25:11 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 4/28/2014 6:29:37 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 4/28/2014 6:30:27 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That right there is funny (and true) as hell.
Link Posted: 4/28/2014 6:57:27 PM EDT
[#12]
Any idea how long an FDE CQBL-1 will take to get to my door if it may or may not have just been purchased? I hardly finished pressing the order button before I found myself sitting by the front door waiting
Link Posted: 4/28/2014 7:13:26 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Surefire Vampire the best (at the moment for 100) yards BUT with the visible signature with the IR LED....For now...
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

But in all seriousness, how would the above rank in most/widest useable flood at ~100 yards?  Same relative order?

Surefire Vampire the best (at the moment for 100) yards BUT with the visible signature with the IR LED....For now...

Link Posted: 4/28/2014 7:19:45 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yeah.  

After playing with it some more, I'm actually not as displeased with the illumination as I was initially.  It's definitely not ideal, but for dedicated hunting rig it's definitely sufficient.  I'd still like waaaaaaay more, but it does a mediocre to OK job for my purposes.

And as soon as I can get one of my lathes out of the storage unit and set up in the temporary shop, I'm going to fix the underpowered white light.  

Now if Wilcox can eliminate the delay.....

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top