Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/18/2013 7:18:25 AM EDT
I've noticed on some of my past ATN Gen 1 scopes that were listed at 4x and 5x that the actual magnification appears to be 85-90% of the listed.  This weekend I got to spend a decent amount of time with my PVS14 helmet mounted.  It seemed to me that the PVS14's "1x" was pretty similar to a standard passenger side mirror- objects are closer than they appear.  When I turned it off and used a spotlight to look at the 100 yard target backboard, it sure seemed bigger than it did while looking at it in NV with IR.

Is this normal among 14s, or NV in general?  Just a matter of time spent behind the 14 to learn and get accustomed to?
Link Posted: 3/18/2013 11:19:35 AM EDT
[#1]
They are listed as 1x but I don't think the lens is exact. All of mine seem to have very slight magnification. They never seem to be perfect 1:1 lenses but are usually very close. Hopefully someone here can tell you more. Optics science is not my strong point, I am just giving you my observations.
Link Posted: 3/18/2013 1:58:11 PM EDT
[#2]
Also, with a spotlight you are using your "binocular" vision.  With a 14 it's "mono" so, no depth preception to precieve distance correctly.
Link Posted: 3/18/2013 3:27:45 PM EDT
[#3]

The PVS-14 should be almost exactly 1:1 - It's extremely close in any event. I've noticed that a lot of thermals aren't 1:1 - they are about 0.8:1 or 1.2:1 or thereabouts.

But a PVS-14 needs to be almost exactly 1:1 because it's designed that way as a monocular.

To test this, look at something on a brighter moonlit night with both eyes. It should be possible to see it with both natural and intensified vision. That would not be possible if it was not 1:1

However, you might have trouble since a PVS-14 is not collimated and can have considerable collimation error.

Regards

David
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top