Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/31/2011 3:03:12 PM EDT
I really want a Gen3 tube but dont have the $3600 now, so what would you suggest in the $1,000 range? Can a good Gen 2 be had? I'll eventually get a Gen3, but I'd rather not get a Gen 1 for now. The only experience I have is with the goggles we used in the Army 15 years ago.  I think they were Russian and all I recall is they had a loud hum They were old and often had to be sent in for repair.  Were those Gen2 or 3 you think? I'm thinking the best value would be a monocular as I'd use it for watching the night life in the woods and maybe a little coyote plinking. Can a good Gen 2 be gotten on a $1,000?
Link Posted: 1/31/2011 4:20:40 PM EDT
[#1]
For a thousand you could get a used d300 probably. Or, maybe a set of pvs5 goggles. I don't know of any new quality (read not a waste of money) units at that price.  

Having just made the jump from gen2 to gen3, I say save your pennies. Gen2 is decent, but usually needs supplimental light to perfom really well.  Of course there is always DIY, buy a tube and buy/build a housing..

I waited and waited for the right deal to come along, and will have a complete pvs14 type gen3 mono unit for around 1400 but that's because of the sweet deal I got on the tube.

Brent
Link Posted: 1/31/2011 4:56:21 PM EDT
[#2]
b, roger, thanks.  I'd rather not have a used unit as you never really know the history.  If the budget limit were raised to $1500 is a good new Gen2 scope possible or is a monocular a better bang for the buck? Who to buy from and what model?
Link Posted: 1/31/2011 8:06:38 PM EDT
[#3]

TNVC has a standard NIB D-300 at that price point:

http://www.tnvc.com/shop/d-300-gen2-standard-night-vision-monocular/

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top