Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/11/2010 2:39:08 PM EDT
Saw this on Texas Boars and I am seriously thinking about giving this a shot for hunting hogs.  What do you guys think about this for under $300?

Texas Boars Cheap Night Vision
Link Posted: 9/11/2010 4:39:18 PM EDT
[#1]
The guy who is doing this mod was talking about this in another night vision forum I frequent. He has some good ideas. The issue is he is using some pretty cheap night vision. I would never spend over 100 bucks for any Gen 1 scope that is not using a cascade tube. Gen 1 just does not have enough gain to be real useful IMHO. I would go no less then a Gen 2 scope for  hog hunting and the conditions you will encounter.

If you are real curious about gen 1 go to eBay and buy a used one. Don't spend over 100 dollars on one. You can play with a while and see what it can do. Then you can sell it and get most if not all your money back. Gen 1 is just not real useful and this way you will get a feel for it without being out 300 to 400 bucks. Gen 1 scopes for the most part perform about the same,
Link Posted: 9/11/2010 4:42:47 PM EDT
[#2]
not too bad
Link Posted: 9/11/2010 4:46:01 PM EDT
[#3]
Yeah it will get the job done but it is far from a great solution.. If you have more time then money you can make your own mounting brackets as he did, but there are products commercially available that will do a better job. There is no need to mount the NV device so high on the 10/22 if it is not going over a day scope. With a commercial mount it could be mounted much lower to the bore.  I would also add a real IR illuminator such as the Da Torch or a sure fire product, heck if you already have a surefire whitelight or maglight you can add an IR filter for better results. The NV device could even be mounted over your eye and be used with the red laser.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top