Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/20/2008 3:19:41 PM EDT
I have read the tacked helmet rig thread above which gave me the idea to use a bike helmet.  Please LMK if this needs to be moved to that thread but I was concerned that my post to it might go unnoticed as compared to a new thread.

==============================================

I have the following items including Bell Faction Mirra helmet:

I am having trouble fitting both the front helmet mount and rear strap clip to the helmet.  

The rear clip seems straight forward enough - I assume I can just remove some of the foam until the clip bottoms out on the rear edge of the helmet.  Correct?

As for the helmet mount at the front - what do I do?  The angle/contour of the two mount fingers prevents any kind of secure mounting around the front lip of the helmet.

Is it common practice to shape/bend the two front fingers so that they wrap around the helmet lip while also allowing the mount itself to lie relatively flat on the forward surface of the helmet? If so, is there anything special I need to know/do for this to be effective?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Link Posted: 11/20/2008 3:56:20 PM EDT
[#1]
With the that mount made for a helmet with a lip (PASAG)  you should look into getting one for an ACH. They are really cheap, and will fit much better.  Then you just drill a hole in the helmet (you can remove the foam if you work at it, there is one spot at the top that WILL come off, just be careful.  Then you bold the mount on, and put the foam back in.  you can then ditch the strap setup.
Link Posted: 11/20/2008 4:29:07 PM EDT
[#2]
I bent mine with no problem whatsoever. Fits great.
Looks to me like youve got all you need there except a can of flat dark colored spray paint.
Link Posted: 11/20/2008 7:12:38 PM EDT
[#3]
I Just got mine set up using the same hardware you have.  Used a soldering iron to melt two spots so the hooks on the front mount will fit between the foam and the plastic shell.  Securing to the shell not the foam.  On the rear hook melted the foam so the hook lays flush with the foam.  Otherwise that hook is going to be squeezed against the back of your head.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top