Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/31/2006 12:23:28 PM EDT
Sorry for repost but didn't get an answer in the FAQ thread... might get one here?  Anyway I had the opportunity to 'fondle' a ANPVS7 gen 3 today and was amazed! The question I have is what is the difference stereo-optic (if that's a word) wise between a mono tube verses a dual tube/binoc NV device? Is there better depth perception with the binos vs the monos? I'm searching for a head/goggle mount NV device... I'm lusting for the Night phantom dual tube Gen 3 binocs/goggles on infrared1.com, but would absolutely hate to see the price check. How about a pair of PVS14's in a goggle platform? You seem to be the lead man around here Victor, what do you suggest? FWIW, can a PVS7 1gen be converted in to a gen3 with a tube 'upgrade'... seems the bodies look the same, but what about internally? Thanks in advance!

Link Posted: 3/31/2006 4:00:12 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 4/1/2006 3:36:04 AM EDT
[#2]
That helps, Thanks Vic!  wOw... $8000 for a goggle set up with the MUMs... Drool... Need to sell some plasma or something... for the next 30 years!  I'll ask my Armourer buddy about the VPS7 bodies... would be neat to know.
Link Posted: 4/1/2006 5:03:35 PM EDT
[#3]
To the best of my knowledge, the PVS-7 series (A, B, C, or D) was never produced with a Gen 1 tube - they were Gen 2 or Gen 3.

Are you thinking of the difference between the 7A and the 7B? The 7A and 7C variants were built by Litton, and the 7B and 7D by ITT. The bodies are very different and with the exception of the I2 tube very few if any parts are interchangeable - The Litton 7A and 7C require proprietary head and helmet mounts, even. Further, the main difference betwen the Litton 7A and 7C is that the C is waterproof to 66 feet, and the main difference between the ITT 7B and 7D is that the D has a higher performance rating / requirement on the tube (higher resolution, better signal to noise, fewer allowable blems, etc).

If you have an earlier Litton A, you should be able to drop-in a Gen 3 tube even if labeled for a later ITT 7B (or D if your wallet allows it) without too much headache. IM me for a contact who can provide complete and further clarification if you like.

Hope this helps,
Clint
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 6:11:37 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
To the best of my knowledge, the PVS-7 series (A, B, C, or D) was never produced with a Gen 1 tube - they were Gen 2 or Gen 3.

Are you thinking of the difference between the 7A and the 7B? The 7A and 7C variants were built by Litton, and the 7B and 7D by ITT. The bodies are very different and with the exception of the I2 tube very few if any parts are interchangeable - The Litton 7A and 7C require proprietary head and helmet mounts, even. Further, the main difference betwen the Litton 7A and 7C is that the C is waterproof to 66 feet, and the main difference between the ITT 7B and 7D is that the D has a higher performance rating / requirement on the tube (higher resolution, better signal to noise, fewer allowable blems, etc).

If you have an earlier Litton A, you should be able to drop-in a Gen 3 tube even if labeled for a later ITT 7B (or D if your wallet allows it) without too much headache. IM me for a contact who can provide complete and further clarification if you like.

Hope this helps,
Clint

So if I understand this correctly, my 7A's (with checkering, black spots, gray areas, etc) can be "upgraded" to Gen III quality by replacing the tube with the 7D tube?  If so, that would be great.
I think I'll check with the local NVG guru, and see if this is something he can handle.
Link Posted: 4/6/2006 7:50:56 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
With PVS-7's there is always a depth perception issue due to the one tube system and both your eyes are looking through the same tube.

Vic

The PVS7's aren't as bad as you'd think though, you DO have stereoscopic vision with depth perception, but it's not as good as the naked eye. The reason this is possible is that your eyes are seeing through the tube (remember, it's a tube and not a tv screen) at different angles.

Dave
Link Posted: 4/6/2006 9:49:35 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 4/6/2006 12:40:00 PM EDT
[#7]
Heh, "Youth and Skill" vs. "Old Age and Treachery"....

One of the first things I did when I got my PVS7's was went for a ride on my mountain bike in the local park. Depth perception wasn't an issue, but paying attention to branches hanging down was! Getting smacked in the face a few times fixed that...

Got lost that night. I didn't know it at the time, but I exited the park on the wrong side-a few miles from where I thought I was. Without a daylight sun for orientation and tree canopy for orientation it's easy to get turned around when your world is only one color. Always use the clip on compass and take a GPS with me when I am in unfamilar terrain. It's pretty easy to get in trouble if you aren't careful.

Dave
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top