Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/8/2006 12:39:32 PM EDT
I don't want this to turn into a "don't waste your money on Gen 1 crap" thread.  I realize that the best Gen 1 is crap compared to the worst Gen 2 or 3.  The fact is that I'll probably never pony up the money for the better stuff.  I just want to play around with night vision.  I was looking at the D-112 from OpticsHQ.  Can anyone tell me if this is a good Gen 1 night vision device?  If there is something else out there better, please enlighten me.  This is a bit more expensive that the Night Owl that is reviewed in another thread, so I'm assuming it is a better device.

Thanks in advance for any input or guidance
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 11:51:17 PM EDT
[#1]
I believe that all Gen 1 image intensifiers are basically the same in regards to specs and vary very little.  So if you just want to play around with one, just try to find a good deal on eBay.  And rest assured that yours is no better/worse than all of the other Gen 1 shit out there...  

Hint:  If you find two similiar Gen 1 systems made by two different companies, buy the cheaper one (taking warranties into account if thats important to you)...  
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 8:59:47 PM EDT
[#2]
I don't specifically know about the model you ask. I have a couple (both from ATN as it happens) and have seen a few more. They are all generally about the same in terms of performance.

The two I have are the ATN M0-21 and the Viper. The M0-21 has a 3.2X lens and the Viper has a 1X, and the lenses are swappable between the two as they are both C-mount. The 1X lens does not magnify (of course) but it gives a brighter and clearer image, on both bodies. So I would advise getting a 1X. Also the depth of focus on the 3.2X lens is rather shallow--you can't really walk around while looking where you're stepping through it, for instance.

Stay Away: I had a $99 one from Harb0r Fr3ight, and it worked (barely) but was junk. I took it apart just to see what was inside. And another different H-B model I saw later on was crap too. I've bought other stuff from them and it was reasonably okay--but the NV is worthless.

Also the illuminators on the scopes don't always work real well, but there are places selling IR filters for flashlights now. For gen-1's, the IR filters on regular incandescent flashlights work the best that I've seen. The LED flashlights work well enough for gen-2 & 3, but don't put out as much IR as flashlights seem to for gen-1's.
~
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top