Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/12/2021 7:08:51 PM EDT
I want to build a Sterling MK6, SBR, semi-auto 9mm. Have everything I need to get started. Ready to file Form 1, prior to build. This will be my first Form 1 and will be on a Trust.

1. Have original Sterling MK6 Semi-Auto internals (e.g. Trigger group, Bolt and springs), Purchased many years ago.
2. Sterling MK4 Parts Kit, sold off the full auto internals.
3. Have blank tube with Full Auto Bolt Block and Trigger Block welded in, as in original MK6. Full Auto Bolt and Trigger will not fit. Tube not yet machined.
4. Have "My GunTrust" created

Questions
4a. Since I will be building this, "My Gun Trust, City State" is the manufacturer
4b. SBR
4c. 9mm
4d. Can I use the original marking on the mag housing, "Sterling MK4 (L2A3)"?
4e. 8 in
4f. 27 in Extended?
4g. Can I use the original s/n on the mag housing?
4h. Again, "My Gun Trust, City State" as engraved on Tube or possibly back side of mag housing?
4i. For all legal purposes
4j. Leave Blank, n/a
4k. No?

Should I e-file or paper?
Do you get a Tax Stamp when you e-file?

Any guidance is appreciated, I'm ready to file.
Link Posted: 3/12/2021 7:38:44 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
I want to build a Sterling MK6, SBR, semi-auto 9mm. Have everything I need to get started. Ready to file Form 1, prior to build. This will be my first Form 1 and will be on a Trust.

1. Have original Sterling MK6 Semi-Auto internals (e.g. Trigger group, Bolt and springs), Purchased many years ago.
2. Sterling MK4 Parts Kit, sold off the full auto internals.
3. Have blank tube with Full Auto Bolt Block and Trigger Block welded in, as in original MK6. Full Auto Bolt and Trigger will not fit. Tube not yet machined.
4. Have "My GunTrust" created

Questions
4a. Since I will be building this, "My Gun Trust, City State" is the manufacturer

Yes

4b. SBR

Yes

4c. 9mm

Yes

4d. Can I use the original marking on the mag housing, "Sterling MK4 (L2A3)"?

Yes, you may put that on the Form 1 as the model.

4e. 7.7 in

I do not know what the barrel length is on a sterling.

4f. Is this with stock folded or open?

Open

4g. Can I use the original s/n on the mag housing?

Yes, you may put that on the Form 1 as the SN.

4h. Again, "My Gun Trust, City State" as engraved on Tube or possibly back side of mag housing?

If the mag housing counts as the receiver, then yes.

4i. For all legal purposes

Yep.

4j. Leave Blank, n/a

Correct

4k. No?

Correct

Should I e-file or paper?

E File. 100%

Do you get a Tax Stamp when you e-file?

Sort of. You get a printed Tax stamp. But not a tangible stamp that you can remove.

Any guidance is appreciated, I'm ready to file.
View Quote

You’re gucci.
Link Posted: 4/24/2021 2:59:48 PM EDT
[#2]
Filed Trust SBR through EForm1 and was DISAPPROVED, There was an "X" "See the attached page for the reason for the Disapproval" in Box 8. Name and Title of Authorized Official, which had my name and Settlor, However the reason states " Incorrect Manufacturer. Refund In Progress", implying something wrong in Box 4a or 4h. Since this SBR is for a Trust, should Box 8. Name and Title of Authorized Official, be the Trust Name, not my name as Settlor of the Trust?

Is there anything wrong in Box 8?

Or, is my problem in Box 4h "Additional Description". The eform didn't add My Trust and address here, I probably should have? See 3rd pic

Called NFA seeking help, absolutely none! Filed a question, Ask the Expert. No reply

Any thoughts?

Link Posted: 4/25/2021 3:32:42 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Filed Trust SBR through EForm1 and was DISAPPROVED, There was an "X" "See the attached page for the reason for the Disapproval" in Box 8. Name and Title of Authorized Official, which had my name and Settlor, However the reason states " Incorrect Manufacturer. Refund In Progress", implying something wrong in Box 4a or 4h. Since this SBR is for a Trust, should Box 8. Name and Title of Authorized Official, be the Trust Name, not my name as Settlor of the Trust?

Is there anything wrong in Box 8?

Or, is my problem in Box 4h "Additional Description". The eform didn't add My Trust and address here, I probably should have? See 3rd pic

Called NFA seeking help, absolutely none! Filed a question, Ask the Expert. No reply

Any thoughts?

https://i.imgur.com/nSg4he0.png

https://i.imgur.com/4mfwZVw.png

https://i.imgur.com/lcsVIJn.png
View Quote

So I always put my name in 4a as I was the manufacturer, maybe that is where your name needs to go, not "form 1 registration united states" like the example you posted...  But you never know when it comes to the ATF or any of their forms and processes.  HTH
Link Posted: 4/25/2021 5:24:44 PM EDT
[#4]
That's not an example, they are actually snippets from my form 1.

"Form 1 Registration,  United States" was inserted by e-forms, I did not have control over that box.  I do have control over  Box 4h "Additional Description". The whole process is convoluted, filling out the e-form is not like filling out the paper form, especially when you are the manufacturer as in a 80% lower. I probably should have included my "Trust Name, City, State" in Box 4h Additional Description.

Link Posted: 4/25/2021 10:43:32 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
That's not an example, they are actually snippets from my form 1.

"Form 1 Registration,  United States" was inserted by e-forms, I did not have control over that box.  I do have control over  Box 4h "Additional Description". The whole process is convoluted, filling out the e-form is not like filling out the paper form, especially when you are the manufacturer as in a 80% lower. I probably should have included my "Trust Name, City, State" in Box 4h Additional Description.

https://i.imgur.com/RoV7JSo.png

https://i.imgur.com/Dn23SLO.png

https://i.imgur.com/Z5LXME9.png

https://i.imgur.com/4uoljmf.png
View Quote

Sorry, I will have to defer to someone up to speed on the e-forns, my !ast one was paper.  @bigwaylon
Link Posted: 4/26/2021 7:07:44 AM EDT
[#6]
NFA Branch differentiates between "manufacturers" and "makers".  A "manufacturer" generally is an established company with a manufacturing license or a country of origin.  A "maker" is a non-licensed individual (or entity).  When they ask for the manufacturer, they want the name of the company that produced the original part or collection of parts that you are "making" into an SBR.  Normally this is pretty simple, as you would be taking a regular rifle (for example) with a 16" barrel and lopping the barrel down to something shorter.  The company that made the original rifle is the "manufacturer".

It seems like a silly little difference, but in legal terms it isn't.  Manufacturers use Form 2s to register items they are making, while unlicensed individuals like you use Form 1s and you pay an individual tax for "making" the item.

You're going to have to figure out what manufacturer made a significant part of the collection of things that you are assembling and use that for the "manufacturer".  Who made the tube you are using?
Link Posted: 4/26/2021 9:45:12 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 4/26/2021 12:52:47 PM EDT
[#8]
You are the maker, you are creating the firearm by machining the tube.

Don't put anything in the description box that becomes 4h.

You can attach a note with what you are building and/or a picture of the unfinished tube to help with confusion but don't put extra into the form, use the attachment section.
Link Posted: 4/26/2021 1:28:41 PM EDT
[#9]
I ran into issues when i was building my Sten MK II using an Indianapolis Ordnance tube back in the day. One thing I would recommend is attaching a picture of the uncut tube with all the markings on there to show what you are starting from and that you aren't using a previously manufactured receiver.
Link Posted: 4/30/2021 7:42:02 AM EDT
[#10]
I need to include the engraving "My Gun Trust, City State", which on the paper form would be in 4a. The e-form1 auto fills 4a and I can't change it, shouldn't it go in 4h?

What about box 8, where the "X" is marked, I put my name and Settlor of the trust? Is this not correct?

4a. Since I will be building this, "My Gun Trust, City State" is the manufacturer (on paper form)
4h. Again, "My Gun Trust, City State" as engraved?
8. My name and Settlor
Link Posted: 4/30/2021 10:49:23 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I need to include the engraving "My Gun Trust, City State", which on the paper form would be in 4a. The e-form1 auto fills 4a and I can't change it, shouldn't it go in 4h?

What about box 8, where the "X" is marked, I put my name and Settlor of the trust? Is this not correct?

4a. Since I will be building this, "My Gun Trust, City State" is the manufacturer (on paper form)
8. My name and Settlor
View Quote

Yes you need to engrave it.

No you don't have to include it in 4h.

8 filled out correct don't change anything there.

The only thing you need to do different is not put anything in that description box that populates 4h.

If you also want to include a note with what you are planning and a picture of the tube, use the attachment area to add them as separate files.

Look up how to submit for a silencer build it's going to be the same thing.

The FMI code is there so that every single scratch build by makers doesn't have to go into pending research.

When using the FMI code, ATF knows what's going on and gets all the other pertinent info from the other fields you've entered.

You only add confusion when supplying more info than needed, and when they are confused they just deny the form and move on.
Link Posted: 4/30/2021 10:51:59 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

8. My name and Settlor
View Quote

As stated previously, box 4A will be populated using the FMI manufacture code, which is for a form 1 manufacture using a non existing receiver.

The "additional description" box that is present when inputting the firearm information will populate box 4H on the form itself.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/30/2021 5:01:31 PM EDT
[#13]
Why is Box 8 marked as Incorrect Manufacturer?

Link Posted: 4/30/2021 7:40:45 PM EDT
[#14]
Box 8 in that picture doesn't say that.

What did you have in box 4a?
Link Posted: 4/30/2021 9:29:47 PM EDT
[#15]
I guess the point I'm stuck on is, why they marked Box 8, not Box 4h?

Is Box 8 actually the problem? Or, is the problem Box 4h?

Box 4a was completed by e-form, "FORM 1 REGISTRATION, UNITED STATES". I could not change it

Is all the crap I put in Box 4h, unnecessary.

Link Posted: 4/30/2021 9:44:29 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I guess the point I'm stuck on is, why they marked Box 8, not Box 4h?

Is Box 8 actually the problem? Or, is the problem Box 4h?

Box 4a was completed by e-form, "FORM 1 REGISTRATION, UNITED STATES". I could not change it

Is all the crap I put in Box 4h, unnecessary.

https://i.imgur.com/LGQn5tC.png

https://i.imgur.com/4mfwZVw.png

https://i.imgur.com/lcsVIJn.png
View Quote

Because this is all computer generated.

Look at the X and the description and then, using your imagination, move them both down about 1.5 inches so that the X lines up with the disapproved box and the description lines up with the bottom of the "reason" box. The digital signature should also probably be where it says NFA User. Everything is just displaced on the form.

And yes, all the stuff in box 4H is probably unnecessary and should just contain the information you plan on engraving on the firearm.

My recommendation is still to include a picture of the marked and printed tube that you are going to be using to build this Sterling.

With my amazing paint skills....
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/1/2021 9:41:57 AM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 5/1/2021 3:08:30 PM EDT
[#18]
Done, submitted and prints mailed.

We will see in 30 days or so??????

Ya know, I still haven't received a response for (2) question submitted to "Ask The Experts"
Link Posted: 6/3/2021 7:05:52 AM EDT
[#19]
Still no word on my Form 1, however, I did finally get a response to my (2) questions to "Ask the Experts". Both responses, the same; didn't answer either question!

Our sincere apologies. Months ago, the Ask the Expert mailbox was under construction. Unfortunately, this change effected some incoming emails. Below are the answers to our most common questions.

·       Pending Research is typically two weeks for processing (as of 4/12/21).

·       Please view all ATF emails from a computer. Attachments do not appear when viewed on phone or iPad.

·       The 10-day clock starts after the Permit/Control Number included with “Submitted/In Process” email is generated.

·       The Submitted Form and CLEO copy are together in the same file with the Coversheet attachment.

·       FBI backgrounds are experiencing increased delays.

·       The FBI does not advise ATF as to why a background check requires additional process time.

·       If you receive a ‘Disapproved’ email, the reason is located on the last page of the attached form.

·       A Disapproved form cannot be corrected, you must complete a new application.

·       Fingerprint cards cannot be transferred to another application.

If you would like further assistance, please utilize Ask the Expert, and provide at least three of the following items listed below along with your question:

·       User name

·       FFL Name/Number/EIN

·       Application/Form ID

·       Permit/Control Number

·       Internal Control Number

·       Serial number

·       Name on Form (transferee and/or transferor)

·       Payment Tracking number (pay.gov or agency number)

Thank you so much for your patience.

*please do not reply to this email
Link Posted: 6/3/2021 9:08:54 AM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 6/9/2021 5:00:43 PM EDT
[#21]
Success !!!

Got my approved Form 1 today.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top