Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/5/2020 8:03:43 AM EDT
Gents,
I just want to make sure I'm good to go with my sale as a pistol.  I have a PPS43 pistol that I SBRd and now I want to sell it as a pistol.  

This was purchased as a pistol, form 1d and now I have removed the stock so it currently sits in a title 1 configuration.  I'm pretty sure this is legit but I just wanted to get some feedback to make sure I'm good to go.

Here's my ad, if you see anything that is not legit or may be a gray area I would appreciate your advice.  

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/883522267
Link Posted: 11/5/2020 8:12:58 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 11/5/2020 9:31:52 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
You're GTG.

Send ATF a letter stating you have changed it back to Title 1 status and they will amend the registry to reflect the change.
View Quote

^^^. this.

You should also make sure the buyer understands that this was once a Class 3 weapon.  The new owner will not be able to file a Form1, if he ever wants to, without the reply letter from the ATF, which, btw, is seldom issued without mulitple calls over a period of months
Link Posted: 11/5/2020 2:28:33 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

^^^. this.

You should also make sure the buyer understands that this was once a Class 3 weapon.  The new owner will not be able to file a Form1, if he ever wants to, without the reply letter from the ATF, which, btw, is seldom issued without mulitple calls over a period of months
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
You're GTG.

Send ATF a letter stating you have changed it back to Title 1 status and they will amend the registry to reflect the change.

^^^. this.

The ad clearly states it is a registered SBR.  BTW: It is a Title II weapon, not a class 3 weapon. Class 3 is the type of dealer.

I have never heard of anyone not being able to file a form 1 on a firearm that had a previous form 1 approval.  Do you have an example of this?
Link Posted: 11/5/2020 3:07:30 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I have never heard of anyone not being able to file a form 1 on a firearm that had a previous form 1 approval.  Do you have an example of this?
View Quote
One or 2 people here mentioned experiencing that problem personally.

I think as long as ATF processes the prior owner's letter before anybody files another F1 on that firearm, it'll be fine.
Link Posted: 11/5/2020 4:41:08 PM EDT
[#5]
So does the notification letter have to be a hard copy mailed in and where do you mail to?

Or can you use the ask the experts in eforms?

Thanks!
Link Posted: 11/5/2020 5:19:40 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
So does the notification letter have to be a hard copy mailed in and where do you mail to?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
BATFE
NFA Branch
244 Needy RD
Martinsburg, WV 25405-9431

I would think either that or an email to [email protected] would likewise be acceptable.
Link Posted: 11/5/2020 5:20:39 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
BATFE
NFA Branch
244 Needy RD

I would think either that or an email to [email protected] would likewise be acceptable.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
BATFE
NFA Branch
244 Needy RD

THANKS!
Link Posted: 11/5/2020 6:07:00 PM EDT
[#8]
You're welcome.

Last time I did that was 4 years ago, and I snail mailed it, but as long as you know it was acted upon, that's all that really matters.

I just copied an example request from the internet. Here's what that looked like:
Click To View Spoiler
and their reply about a month later:
Attachment Attached File

Note that ATF never actually removes a firearm from the NFRTR; they merely annotate the change.

There's no reason to wait for ATF's reply prior to proceeding with a Title I transfer, but I'd let the buyer know if they (or a future owner) wish to register it as a Title II (NFA) firearm again they should await your confirmation that ATF processed the letter.
Link Posted: 11/16/2020 1:49:13 PM EDT
[#9]
One more question about the letter.   I noticed the example letters did not include the permit control number.  Any reason not to include the permit control number?

Thanks!
Link Posted: 11/16/2020 4:34:58 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Any reason not to include the permit control number?
View Quote
Not sure why they'd need it, but if it makes you feel better then go for it.
Link Posted: 11/21/2020 12:56:22 PM EDT
[#11]
Does the "Once a rifle, always a rifle" not apply here?  

Link Posted: 11/21/2020 1:35:31 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Does the "Once a rifle, always a rifle" not apply here?
View Quote
That's not a thing. It's "First a rifle, never a pistol."
Link Posted: 1/13/2021 1:28:16 PM EDT
[#13]
Well, they received my letters on November 23rd and have yet to receive anything back.
Link Posted: 1/13/2021 2:53:14 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Well, they received my letters on November 23rd and have yet to receive anything back.
View Quote
That's very typical. It could take anywhere from a month to a year to receive a reply.
Link Posted: 1/13/2021 3:14:00 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 1/13/2021 7:39:28 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

That it is - yep.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
That's very typical. It could take anywhere from a month to a year to receive a reply.

That it is - yep.

Got it... Thanks!
Top Top