Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/5/2020 8:03:43 AM EDT
Gents,
I just want to make sure I'm good to go with my sale as a pistol.  I have a PPS43 pistol that I SBRd and now I want to sell it as a pistol.  

This was purchased as a pistol, form 1d and now I have removed the stock so it currently sits in a title 1 configuration.  I'm pretty sure this is legit but I just wanted to get some feedback to make sure I'm good to go.

Here's my ad, if you see anything that is not legit or may be a gray area I would appreciate your advice.  

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/883522267
Link Posted: 11/5/2020 8:12:58 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 11/5/2020 9:31:52 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
You're GTG.

Send ATF a letter stating you have changed it back to Title 1 status and they will amend the registry to reflect the change.
View Quote

^^^. this.

You should also make sure the buyer understands that this was once a Class 3 weapon.  The new owner will not be able to file a Form1, if he ever wants to, without the reply letter from the ATF, which, btw, is seldom issued without mulitple calls over a period of months
Link Posted: 11/5/2020 2:28:33 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

^^^. this.

You should also make sure the buyer understands that this was once a Class 3 weapon.  The new owner will not be able to file a Form1, if he ever wants to, without the reply letter from the ATF, which, btw, is seldom issued without mulitple calls over a period of months
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
You're GTG.

Send ATF a letter stating you have changed it back to Title 1 status and they will amend the registry to reflect the change.

^^^. this.

The ad clearly states it is a registered SBR.  BTW: It is a Title II weapon, not a class 3 weapon. Class 3 is the type of dealer.

I have never heard of anyone not being able to file a form 1 on a firearm that had a previous form 1 approval.  Do you have an example of this?
Link Posted: 11/5/2020 3:07:30 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I have never heard of anyone not being able to file a form 1 on a firearm that had a previous form 1 approval.  Do you have an example of this?
View Quote
One or 2 people here mentioned experiencing that problem personally.

I think as long as ATF processes the prior owner's letter before anybody files another F1 on that firearm, it'll be fine.
Link Posted: 11/5/2020 4:41:08 PM EDT
[#5]
So does the notification letter have to be a hard copy mailed in and where do you mail to?

Or can you use the ask the experts in eforms?

Thanks!
Link Posted: 11/5/2020 5:19:40 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
So does the notification letter have to be a hard copy mailed in and where do you mail to?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
BATFE
NFA Branch
244 Needy RD
Martinsburg, WV 25405-9431

I would think either that or an email to [email protected] would likewise be acceptable.
Link Posted: 11/5/2020 5:20:39 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
BATFE
NFA Branch
244 Needy RD

I would think either that or an email to [email protected] would likewise be acceptable.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
BATFE
NFA Branch
244 Needy RD

THANKS!
Link Posted: 11/5/2020 6:07:00 PM EDT
[#8]
You're welcome.

Last time I did that was 4 years ago, and I snail mailed it, but as long as you know it was acted upon, that's all that really matters.

I just copied an example request from the internet. Here's what that looked like:
Click To View Spoiler
and their reply about a month later:
Attachment Attached File

Note that ATF never actually removes a firearm from the NFRTR; they merely annotate the change.

There's no reason to wait for ATF's reply prior to proceeding with a Title I transfer, but I'd let the buyer know if they (or a future owner) wish to register it as a Title II (NFA) firearm again they should await your confirmation that ATF processed the letter.
Link Posted: 11/16/2020 1:49:13 PM EDT
[#9]
One more question about the letter.   I noticed the example letters did not include the permit control number.  Any reason not to include the permit control number?

Thanks!
Link Posted: 11/16/2020 4:34:58 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Any reason not to include the permit control number?
View Quote
Not sure why they'd need it, but if it makes you feel better then go for it.
Link Posted: 11/21/2020 12:56:22 PM EDT
[#11]
Does the "Once a rifle, always a rifle" not apply here?  

Link Posted: 11/21/2020 1:35:31 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Does the "Once a rifle, always a rifle" not apply here?
View Quote
That's not a thing. It's "First a rifle, never a pistol."
Link Posted: 1/13/2021 1:28:16 PM EDT
[#13]
Well, they received my letters on November 23rd and have yet to receive anything back.
Link Posted: 1/13/2021 2:53:14 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Well, they received my letters on November 23rd and have yet to receive anything back.
View Quote
That's very typical. It could take anywhere from a month to a year to receive a reply.
Link Posted: 1/13/2021 3:14:00 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 1/13/2021 7:39:28 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

That it is - yep.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
That's very typical. It could take anywhere from a month to a year to receive a reply.

That it is - yep.

Got it... Thanks!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top