Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/21/2016 12:21:53 PM EDT
I wanted to make one last purchase before things get more complicated for my trust and had a question.

The magazine counts for 3 parts but has there been any opinion letters clarifying if you can keep the foreign made mags(and use them)? The Zenith's come with 3 really good mags and I'd hate to buy inferior mags or spend more money than necessary.

I guess the same question could be applied to non-nfa weapons so I may be posting this in the incorrect place.
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 3:03:43 PM EDT
[#1]
I am not s lawyer. But I can read.  Here is my take of 922r.

922r prohibits the ASSEMBLY of a semi-automatic rifle with more than 10 imported parts.  It does not prohibit the USE, POSSESSION or SALE of them.  If your Rifle is 922r compliant the instant you ASSEMBLE it, you are in compliance.  What you do with it after that is not regulated by 922r or the CFR.

That said I wouldn't want to be the test case either.  Sear, Hammer, Trigger are around $25 each on HK parts, a US wide forearm is $29 bucks. Cocking handle (they have 3 different US made styles) $30ish.  US Made A2 stock $149.  Done, compliant, can still use good mags. or if you want an A3 stock (no US made available) you could buy US made floorplates for each mag, they are 10 bucks each.
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 9:10:15 PM EDT
[#2]
It would be difficult to become a test case, considering the state would have to prove beyond a reasonable doubt that you assembled the firearm in violation of 922r. It may be possessed once assembled in any configuration.

There is also the possibility that a used gun you buy may have already been permanently exempted from 922r under the LE duty-use exception. RenegadeX and I have been discussing that over in the Legal forum: http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_1_6/1860108_922_r__LE_exemption.html

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top