Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/7/2015 12:06:33 PM EDT
I am AD USAF and I have waited to get into NFA because I always thought it was too much of a hassle being that I am in the military and can be moved to states that don't allow NFA at any time. However, I just received PCS orders to Japan. I have about 6 months to get my shit together NFA wise before I leave but I don't know if I waited too long and now I'm screwed or I still have some quick options that I can do. Another factor is that I don't know where Im going to live when I get back in 4 years and I would like to set up a trust with my Father in Missouri. Is that possible? Is 6-7 months enough time to get the trust and get an NFA item?

The reason I am rushing now is because of the off chance that I go to Japan for 4 or more years and by the time I get back the laws have changed and they are no longer legal. Maybe I'm being paranoid, maybe not. However with Hilary possibly getting elected and Green Tip about to be banned. I think I have a valid reason to be worried.

Thanks for the help guys, any info would help.

Kyle
Link Posted: 3/7/2015 12:33:09 PM EDT
[#1]
With a trust, you could eFile and definitely have a Form 1 item done. Paper Form 4s for trusts should also be finished in 6 months. Either way, you could have your dad apply for them in his state and it wouldn't matter.
Link Posted: 3/7/2015 12:41:16 PM EDT
[#2]
Once I get the trust does the trust have to have a location? Can I just get it in my name but have the location be at my fathers house? And if so, can I efile everything and just have my father do the transfers to the trust while im in Japan?
Link Posted: 3/7/2015 1:33:44 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Once I get the trust does the trust have to have a location? Can I just get it in my name but have the location be at my fathers house? And if so, can I efile everything and just have my father do the transfers to the trust while im in Japan?
View Quote

Efile is currently only available for Form 1 items you will "make" yourself.  Forms 4 have to be done on paper, and a trust doesn't have to have an address.  Trusts are governed by state law, so you'll need to follow the laws of the state in which it is created.

You can set up a trust with you and your father as trustees. Where the trust is created doesn't really matter.  

Items transferred to your trust will need to be picked up from the transferring dealer by a resident of the same state in which the dealer does business, or in your case, your state of residence, or the state in which your permanent duty station is located.

Simplest case is to form the trust in your father's state, and have things transferred to your father's state where he'll be able to get them from a dealer as a trustee, and you'll be able to use the trust's NFA items when you're home.  When you move, you'll need to leave the items somewhere legal if you're going to a non-NFA location, or file permanent 5320.20s to take them with you if you're going somewhere you can legally possess the NFA items.
Link Posted: 3/7/2015 8:03:56 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Efile is currently only available for Form 1 items you will "make" yourself.  Forms 4 have to be done on paper, and a trust doesn't have to have an address.  Trusts are governed by state law, so you'll need to follow the laws of the state in which it is created.

You can set up a trust with you and your father as trustees. Where the trust is created doesn't really matter.  

Items transferred to your trust will need to be picked up from the transferring dealer by a resident of the same state in which the dealer does business, or in your case, your state of residence, or the state in which your permanent duty station is located.

Simplest case is to form the trust in your father's state, and have things transferred to your father's state where he'll be able to get them from a dealer as a trustee, and you'll be able to use the trust's NFA items when you're home.  When you move, you'll need to leave the items somewhere legal if you're going to a non-NFA location, or file permanent 5320.20s to take them with you if you're going somewhere you can legally possess the NFA items.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks so much for the response I finally got ahold of a lawyer and you literally said word for word what he said. You guys are awesome! Thanks. Im in the process of getting the trust done now. Should be done by Tuesday.... god I wish I would have done this sooner.
Link Posted: 3/8/2015 3:55:42 PM EDT
[#5]
I'm in MO if you or your father have questions feel free to pm me.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top