Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/18/2012 8:59:37 PM EDT
I got a call from my dealer that he moved from his building into another. He asked when I sent the paper work in. He said he was working with the ATF to rush all the paper work from his old building so he can close out the FFL from that building. Think that they will rush my paper work thru?
Link Posted: 11/18/2012 10:41:14 PM EDT
[#1]
I think you have a better chance of being bit by a dinosaur...  

Good luck though!

Link Posted: 11/18/2012 11:17:55 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
I think you have a better chance of being bit by a dinosaur...  

Good luck though!

Thats funny.

Link Posted: 11/18/2012 11:34:18 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Think that they will rush my paper work thru?

Link Posted: 11/19/2012 12:32:55 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Think that they will rush my paper work thru?

Yea I thought so. The dealer did sound sincere about working with the ATF helping him close out his old FFL. Doesnt matter I guess, I went pending July 7th and August 15th so Im close.

Link Posted: 11/19/2012 1:00:28 AM EDT
[#5]
Well, if he is truly letting his FFL go and getting a new one, they would have to process all forms that are pending for that FFL/SOT before they can close it. So there very well might be a chance. But what I don't understand is why he would close the one FFL and apply for a new one? You can keep the FFL and change the address. If that is the case, then no, your form will take the normal amount of time.
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 1:09:43 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Well, if he is truly letting his FFL go and getting a new one, they would have to process all forms that are pending for that FFL/SOT before they can close it. So there very well might be a chance. But what I don't understand is why he would close the one FFL and apply for a new one? You can keep the FFL and change the address. If that is the case, then no, your form will take the normal amount of time.

Truthfully I dont understand it. I was under the impression the FFL/SOT lic had to be for the building he was in. He moved and said he has a new lic for the new building and trying to close out his old Lic. Seems reasonable to me, but I dont really know how that works. He has been nice about this whole process, returns e-mails and phone messages. So I dont have issues so far. Just curious what everyone thought about the call I got.

Link Posted: 11/19/2012 2:09:50 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
But what I don't understand is why he would close the one FFL and apply for a new one?

If he was changing entity that would be the reason why they would close out the FFL/SOT and not just change the address. For instance if he was a sole proprietor and changing to a LLC or Inc. Is he moving out of state or far away? I know the first couple digits of the FFL are dependent on location.

From what I understand, but correct me if I'm wrong, he has until the licenses expire to close out his inventory, that of course is if he was a sole proprietor. As sole prop., he technically owns all his inventory and therefore can legally keep them without a license, exceptions being restricted machine guns.
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 4:27:45 PM EDT
[#8]
My suspicious side wonders if it was this type of situation:

"I have enough pre-May dealer samples on my sole proprietor SOT. Time to 'retire' and keep those."

5 minutes pass...

"Wow, retirement is boring. I'm going to form an LLC to run a gun shop for a few years, then sell the turn-key corporation to someone else down the road."

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 6:04:56 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Quoted:
But what I don't understand is why he would close the one FFL and apply for a new one?

If he was changing entity that would be the reason why they would close out the FFL/SOT and not just change the address. For instance if he was a sole proprietor and changing to a LLC or Inc. Is he moving out of state or far away? I know the first couple digits of the FFL are dependent on location.

From what I understand, but correct me if I'm wrong, he has until the licenses expire to close out his inventory, that of course is if he was a sole proprietor. As sole prop., he technically owns all his inventory and therefore can legally keep them without a license, exceptions being restricted machine guns.

If Im understanding him right, I think there was only one name on his lic. He always told me they were moving to a bigger building. Now suppressors just became legal just over a year now and it seemed he was one of the few that had a lic to buy and sell suppressors. The number of gun shops that sell class 3 items are starting to grow here. If I get my stuff back early I will post back.

Link Posted: 11/20/2012 4:23:48 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I got a call from my dealer that he moved from his building into another. He asked when I sent the paper work in. He said he was working with the ATF to rush all the paper work from his old building so he can close out the FFL from that building. Think that they will rush my paper work thru?

Nope. not a chance.
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 9:12:49 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Nope. not a chance.

So maybe he was calling just to see when or if I mailed it. But still he could call ATF and verify it. Well any way Im still close. Strange I guess.

Link Posted: 11/20/2012 1:34:31 PM EDT
[#12]
FWIW- my dealer had a similar situation, except he was closing out one FFL and opening another in the same location, with different corporate structure. Mine were amongst the last few transfers in process when he initiated this process.

This was done a few months ago, and my transfers are still pending. They just let his in-process stuff ride, and new transfers were done under the new FFL.

Link Posted: 11/21/2012 8:09:17 AM EDT
[#13]
Well I got the call today. Both tax stamps are in. I guess he was telling the truth. Now I got to finish my day at work to go get them. The wait is killing me.
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 12:54:50 PM EDT
[#14]
Maybe they will rush, maybe they won't. NFA can edit the ffl info if needed. I've had an approved form 4 and had to change serial on suppressor and they did that for me.
Link Posted: 11/22/2012 10:26:50 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Maybe they will rush, maybe they won't. NFA can edit the ffl info if needed. I've had an approved form 4 and had to change serial on suppressor and they did that for me.

I remember the trouble you had with that and was meaning to ask you how that turned out. Did you have to wait any longer with your dealers screw up? Did you finally get your suppressors?

Link Posted: 11/22/2012 11:11:20 AM EDT
[#16]
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ztVMib1T4T4

Glad to see they helped you out like they said they would.
Link Posted: 11/22/2012 4:18:15 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I remember the trouble you had with that and was meaning to ask you how that turned out. Did you have to wait any longer with your dealers screw up? Did you finally get your suppressors?

Yeah dealer fixed it. The examiner was nice and changed the serial on the form. Dealer sent it back, NFA got it 4 days later and approved it and sent it back. It took about 9 days. Its the USPS shipping that stacks on the extra time. If the correction is something really simple, it is approved and sent out the next business day.
Top Top