Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/4/2012 12:19:28 AM EDT
shows like sons of guns,family guns and others have had a positive effect on the publics perception  (non gun owners)  of guns and gun owners?..
several friendes/neighbors have asked to look at and shoot some of my guns.. semi ak/ar's and or nfa stuff..
some asked about buying a "machinegun like the one on the tv ".
john
Link Posted: 10/4/2012 2:08:19 AM EDT
[#1]
hard to say.
Link Posted: 10/4/2012 3:41:52 AM EDT
[#2]
In general, I think the effect is positive.  I have cringed at some of the stuff appearing, especially on the first season of SOG, but they have gotten better about explaining at least some of the legal ramifications of the NFA stuff.  The only bad part is the increase in transfer times as the number of Forms submitted skyrockets due to more people realizing that they can legally own the "good stuff".
Link Posted: 10/4/2012 4:59:08 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
In general, I think the effect is positive.  I have cringed at some of the stuff appearing, especially on the first season of SOG, but they have gotten better about explaining at least some of the legal ramifications of the NFA stuff.  The only bad part is the increase in transfer times as the number of Forms submitted skyrockets due to more people realizing that they can legally own the "good stuff".

Definitely positive for firearms in general. Definitely bad for all you smucks wanting to buy a machine gun due to price increases.....
Link Posted: 10/4/2012 7:49:59 AM EDT
[#4]
No doubt about it.  GD regularly complains about these show's negative effects; in particular the juvenile antics typical of  some casr members on Sons of Guns.

However, seeing this stuff in an entertaining light raises interest.  

Mythbusters in particular shows people having FUN shooting.  These guys are San Francisco-based, black-clad hipsters who appeal to a huge group of Americans who might otherwise NOT own guns at all.  These guys are seen as "cool."  They also promote science, and our President even commended mythbusters for this.  

Top Shot had too much drama, but it did expose America to a wide variety of gun owners & dispelled the myth that only white males like to shoot.  Where else have you seen a Gatling gun shot off in competition?  Everyone likes the slow-motion shots too.  

While I could personally do WITHOUT the antics, I believe these shows have a net-positive effect, even if much of the "reality" is actually scripted.
Link Posted: 10/4/2012 7:57:02 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
No doubt about it.  GD regularly complains about these show's negative effects; in particular the juvenile antics typical of  some casr members on Sons of Guns.

However, seeing this stuff in an entertaining light raises interest.  

Mythbusters in particular shows people having FUN shooting.  These guys are San Francisco-based, black-clad hipsters who appeal to a huge group of Americans who might otherwise NOT own guns at all.  These guys are seen as "cool."  They also promote science, and our President even commended mythbusters for this.  

Top Shot had too much drama, but it did expose America to a wide variety of gun owners & dispelled the myth that only white males like to shoot.  Where else have you seen a Gatling gun shot off in competition?  Everyone likes the slow-motion shots too.  

While I could personally do WITHOUT the antics, I believe these shows have a net-positive effect, even if much of the "reality" is actually scripted.

I tend to agree, I don't watch those shows much, American guns has way too much derp.
but if it raises interest, I'm for it.

I was also mixed about video games like COD, I endorse them now..because its turning youths on to gun culture.
Link Posted: 10/4/2012 8:09:56 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 10/4/2012 8:42:21 AM EDT
[#7]
Overall I like the shows. It sure beat the other TV shows and moves showing guns being used in a negative way, killing and maiming people.
Link Posted: 10/4/2012 9:04:59 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

While I agree with you wholeheartedly, if the shows didn't have the antics they would be far less popular resulting in them being canceled. The antics are the price we pay to have firearms portrayed in an overall positive light on cable TV. To me, that's a price I'm willing to pay.

Link Posted: 10/4/2012 12:57:06 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Quoted:
While I agree with you wholeheartedly, if the shows didn't have the antics they would be far less popular resulting in them being canceled. The antics are the price we pay to have firearms portrayed in an overall positive light on cable TV. To me, that's a price I'm willing to pay.  

No beef here (cool avatar, BTW).

I'm also not big on the whole "zombie" craze, but at the end of the day, it probably serves the cause.  

I do think what's needed - particularly near cities - is more shooting venues.  There are clearly increasing levels of ownership.  Now we need to turn the "owners" into "shooters."
Link Posted: 10/4/2012 3:37:12 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Quoted:

ah hell, they act just like the bunch I work with..

Link Posted: 10/4/2012 8:15:22 PM EDT
[#11]
the antics can be a bit much.. but maybe it lets the public see that they are regular every day people.. they are not rambo wannabe's or some kinda extremist fringe group militant radicals. that the media tries to portray
Link Posted: 10/6/2012 8:06:23 PM EDT
[#12]
I have somewhat of a mixed opinion of these shows. Its great that it exposes people to guns in general, but at the same time the "antics" paint an almost too cavalier nature to firearm and especially NFA ownership.

Link Posted: 10/7/2012 1:14:50 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I have somewhat of a mixed opinion of these shows. Its great that it exposes people to guns in general, but at the same time the "antics" paint an almost too cavalier nature to firearm and especially NFA ownership.  

This is my feelings as well.  For the most parts I dont watch them cause I have to correct info they are saying.

MAHA
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top