Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/14/2012 2:12:47 PM EDT
I don't see very many short-barreled shotguns advertised on the message boards or stocked at dealers. I would love an 870 with a 14 inch barrel but they seem scarce as hen's teeth. The few that I have come across on the net all seem to be police trade-ins. Oddly the AOW version with the pistol grip and no stock seems to be more available.  

Seems to me that a short-barrel shotgun is a very practical weapon, so why do they seem so scarce?
Link Posted: 2/14/2012 2:20:04 PM EDT
[#1]
$200 for SBS -v- $5 for AOW

Just my WAG
Link Posted: 2/14/2012 2:32:40 PM EDT
[#2]
Folks who have them hang on to them.
Link Posted: 2/14/2012 2:38:14 PM EDT
[#3]
Just fill out a Form 1, wait an unknown amount of time, then make one.
Link Posted: 2/14/2012 6:12:26 PM EDT
[#4]
I just bought 6 of them from Long Mountain Outfitters.  They are police trade-ins but are in decent shape.  Price was right too.  Got them for less than $300 shipped.   Hell, the flashlight is worth $75.

http://www.longmountain.com/inventory/shortbarreledshotguns/httpwwwlongmountaincominventoryshortbarreledshotguns/?edit=1
Link Posted: 2/14/2012 11:06:38 PM EDT
[#5]
You can get them, but you don't see too many 2nd hand because of the $200 transfer for them.
Link Posted: 2/15/2012 4:10:15 AM EDT
[#6]

low demand because once you spend money on one, you never want to do it again...

i've had two. they were both a complete waste of money. i'd build them, take them out shooting once, and then put them back in the safe forever.

Link Posted: 2/15/2012 6:08:04 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Just fill out a Form 1, wait an unknown amount of time, then make one.

this

I keep going back and forth on wanting one.
unless I see a ridiculous deal on one pop up in state (so only one transfer), I'll just make one when I decide to move forward on it.
Link Posted: 2/15/2012 11:24:50 AM EDT
[#8]
So the consensus is that they're just not interesting or useful enough to justify the 200 dollar tax?

Personally I think a short shotgun is a very handy weapon indoors. An 18 inch barrel is kind of long to be swinging around corners. If the NFA didn't exist I think sub-18 inch  barreled shotguns would be good sellers.

Link Posted: 2/15/2012 2:11:51 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

I just bought 6 of them from Long Mountain Outfitters.  They are police trade-ins but are in decent shape.  Price was right too.  Got them for less than $300 shipped.   Hell, the flashlight is worth $75.

http://www.longmountain.com/inventory/shortbarreledshotguns/httpwwwlongmountaincominventoryshortbarreledshotguns/?edit=1

I guess you have to call to buy one?

Link Posted: 2/15/2012 4:19:52 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
So the consensus is that they're just not interesting or useful enough to justify the 200 dollar tax?

Personally I think a short shotgun is a very handy weapon indoors. An 18 inch barrel is kind of long to be swinging around corners. If the NFA didn't exist I think sub-18 inch  barreled shotguns would be good sellers.

having had the chance to run around with 14.5" Benellis and then some 14" 870s i can say with 100% conviction that the 18" barrel is way too long. that said, the extremely limited capacity and size / weight of a shotgun doesn't trump a good 'ol SBR. we ended up keeping one short pump gun for door busting but that was about it.

IMHO if you're interested in a SBS look at a Saiga... get an extremely short gun and keep the capacity!
Link Posted: 2/15/2012 4:51:10 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

I'm sure they would be. For a truck gun they would be better, don't have so much barrel to clear before its ready to shoot pulling it out of a car. But I think the price for the base shotgun has alot to do with it. Its not so hard to pay $200 for an SBR that you have $1,000 in. But a mossberg 500 starts you at $299, and to put another $200 on top of that?
Link Posted: 2/15/2012 6:49:56 PM EDT
[#12]
Yep just call and ask for Shannon. He is basically giving them away to get rid of them.
Link Posted: 2/15/2012 6:53:43 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

No, it's just easy to Form 1 them.

I could buy a $125 870 from the pawn shop and spend $200 on a Form 1. Add $100 in furniture and I'd have a cool weapon.

For the small amount I'd have invested in it, there's no real reason to sell it, and even if I did, I'd be out the $200, which would be a huge percentage of the guns value.

Link Posted: 2/16/2012 11:14:24 AM EDT
[#14]
Not really sure either.  I have a pawnshop 870 I am thinking of doing a F1 on and cutting it down.  Even with the $200 stamp, its cheaper than buying a Serbu and I'd rather have a full stock anyway.
Link Posted: 2/16/2012 1:28:49 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I could buy a $125 870 from the pawn shop and spend $200 on a Form 1. Add $100 in furniture and I'd have a cool weapon.

For the small amount I'd have invested in it, there's no real reason to sell it, and even if I did, I'd be out the $200, which would be a huge percentage of the guns value.

When you put it that way, an F1 SBS seems more logical than a AOW+$5 stamp - which can't be Form 1'ed and generally cost as much or more than your scenario.  Especially if the new SBS furniture were a side-folding stock (also not posible on AOW).  
Link Posted: 2/16/2012 2:15:08 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

When you put it that way, an F1 SBS seems more logical than a AOW+$5 stamp - which can't be Form 1'ed and generally cost as much or more than your scenario.  Especially if the new SBS furniture were a side-folding stock (also not posible on AOW).  

You can F1 an AOW, it still costs $200 for it though.
Link Posted: 2/16/2012 7:11:12 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

So thats where they all went. Last time I went in there they had a whole rack of them.  Yesterday they had four. I figured I better get one before they were gone. Now they have three.
Link Posted: 2/18/2012 1:28:48 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:

So thats where they all went. Last time I went in there they had a whole rack of them.  Yesterday they had four. I figured I better get one before they were gone. Now they have three.

Thanks for the tip, I just ordered one of these police trade-ins.

This site is dangerous to my wallet.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top