Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/24/2010 11:42:54 PM EDT
Quick question: I have already sent in my form 1 (SBR) paperwork about a month ago. I completed the Form 1 as an individual, not a trust. I recently had my lower engraved with my first name initial, middle name initial, complete last name, city and state.

For Example:

JD Smith
Anytown, OH

I read on another post that the BATF was no longer excepting initials on lower engravings? Who can I have verify this? Have I met BATF requirements with my current engravings? Do I need to contact BATF and attempt to have them reply with a written statement? Do I need to have my lower engraved again with my complete first and middle names? I just want to make sure that I am in the clear here. I don't want any trouble over something as minor as engraving initials instead of a full name. Any information would be greatly appreciated.
Link Posted: 10/25/2010 1:44:49 AM EDT
[#1]
I would just give the feds a call today and ask EXACTLY what they want.  I do believe however that you will be ok, here is a site i found.
http://www.orion-arms.com/atf-requirements/what-is-required-by-the-atf-for-sbr-engraving-2.html
Link Posted: 10/25/2010 4:28:48 AM EDT
[#2]
Orion is where I got the engraving done. I will give the feds a call today or tomorrow. Thanks!

Link Posted: 10/25/2010 5:38:30 AM EDT
[#3]
May I ask what Orion charged you for the job?

I'm looking at either registering my lower or replacing the barrel on an upper I got from my brother and I'm trying to get an idea of the costs of doing it either way.

Thanks.
Link Posted: 10/25/2010 10:31:51 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I would just give the feds a call today and ask EXACTLY what they want.  I do believe however that you will be ok, here is a site i found.
http://www.orion-arms.com/atf-requirements/what-is-required-by-the-atf-for-sbr-engraving-2.html

Get it in writing. Call one day to the next, and if you get an answer odds are it will be different each day. Engrave your full name and call it good
Link Posted: 10/25/2010 10:34:39 AM EDT
[#5]
tep0583 IM sent
Link Posted: 10/25/2010 10:54:32 AM EDT
[#6]
Called BATF today they told me First Name, Last Name, City and State. No initials. Wish I had asked more questions before I had my lower engraved...
Link Posted: 10/25/2010 11:47:34 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
tep0583 IM sent

Got it. Thanks for the information!

Link Posted: 10/25/2010 3:03:04 PM EDT
[#8]
I screwed up to, Initial for first name, wish the engraver would have said something, they kind of should know the in's and out's. But hey, is the ATF going to burn my house down because my lower is missing 3 letters? Doubt it, I don't let it worry me.
Link Posted: 10/25/2010 6:50:28 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 10/25/2010 9:57:11 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I screwed up to, Initial for first name, wish the engraver would have said something, they kind of should know the in's and out's. But hey, is the ATF going to burn my house down because my lower is missing 3 letters? Doubt it, I don't let it worry me.

the engraver doesn't know what your legal name is or what you put on your Form 1
Link Posted: 10/26/2010 3:50:28 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Quoted:

the engraver doesn't know what your legal name is or what you put on your Form 1

Typically you do the engraving before you file the Form 1, in case the engraver messes up...
Also, if you use an engraver that isn't an FFL/SOT (like a local jeweler) they're not going to know the ATF regs.  They'll just mark the gun per your instructions.
Link Posted: 10/26/2010 5:39:58 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Typically you do the engraving before you file the Form 1, in case the engraver messes up...
Also, if you use an engraver that isn't an FFL/SOT (like a local jeweler) they're not going to know the ATF regs.  They'll just mark the gun per your instructions.

According to the ATF you are supposed to engrave AFTER your form 1 has been approved, again per what they told me over the phone.  YMMV.
Link Posted: 10/26/2010 6:15:49 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

According to the ATF you are supposed to engrave AFTER your form 1 has been approved, again per what they told me over the phone.  YMMV.

Most people engrave before the form is filed, so that if the engraver messes it up, or UPS loses the package, you're only out a $100 lower, and not a $300 registered SBR lower.

Either way doesn't matter, so long as it's engraved before you assemble the gun into an SBR configuration.
Link Posted: 10/26/2010 12:49:57 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Have to call BS on that. You can engrave anything you want on your lower any time you want.

Link Posted: 10/26/2010 4:16:18 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Have to call BS on that. You can engrave anything you want on your lower any time you want.

Go ahead call BS.  I'm just telling you what the ATF told ME on the phone.  In the same breath they also mentioned to leave 4h blank which is another highly debated topic.  Approved in about 70 days.  Again YMMV.
Link Posted: 10/26/2010 5:27:26 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Go ahead call BS.  I'm just telling you what the ATF told ME on the phone.  In the same breath they also mentioned to leave 4h blank which is another highly debated topic.  Approved in about 70 days.  Again YMMV.

ask 10 different ATF agents the same question via telephone and get 72 different answers ..

You can engrave ANYTHING you want on your gun at ANYTIME you want to!
Link Posted: 10/26/2010 5:37:25 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Quoted:

ask 10 different ATF agents the same question via telephone and get 72 different answers ..

You can engrave ANYTHING you want on your gun at ANYTIME you want to!

I doubt you're actually talking to ATF agents via telephone; you're most likely speaking to Legal Instruments Examiners at NFA Branch
Link Posted: 10/27/2010 4:54:31 PM EDT
[#18]
I engrave mine with a Dremel and I use initials just like I put on the forms.  YEMV
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top