Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/19/2009 4:40:24 PM EDT
What I am trying to ask is it legal to have several SBR uppers, one registered SBR lower, and several other non registered lowers/complete AR rifles in your possession?
Link Posted: 12/19/2009 5:28:32 PM EDT
[#1]
Well it may not be a good idea to stockpile stripped lowers without matching title 1 uppers...
Link Posted: 12/19/2009 7:35:01 PM EDT
[#2]
I was wondering this very thing today.  I assumed that if I had a registered SBR lower, I'd be okay if I had more than one short-barrelled upper, as long as those extras weren't attached to non-SBR lowers.  But I know next to nothing about this topic.
Link Posted: 12/19/2009 8:30:17 PM EDT
[#3]
I sure hope you can.
I have 2 SBR Colts at my dealers right now. (5.56)
and I have ordered 1 22lr SBR upper (Suppressed), 1 SBR 9mm Tros upper, and 1 SBR 6.8 Upper.
So I will have a total of 5 SBR uppers and only 2 SBR Lowers.

I do have several other ARs as well but they all have 16"+ barreled uppers on them.
Link Posted: 12/19/2009 8:43:49 PM EDT
[#4]
upper + lower = gun

upper+ nothing = upper

another upper + nothing = another upper

repeat as necessary
Link Posted: 12/19/2009 9:04:41 PM EDT
[#5]
as long as you have a legal way to configure EVERY upper vs. lower you own .. you are golden ..

If you have enough uppers that you can't configure legally with the lowers you have ... YOU HAVE PROBLEMS

Link Posted: 12/20/2009 6:13:46 AM EDT
[#6]
Let me try and clarify this.  I plan on getting one lower registered for a SBR and one shorty upper.  Later, I may want to get another SBR upper.  

I have several other non NFA AR's in the safe, but will not have any lowers without a legal upper attached or more lowers than uppers.  So I believe that the only way I would be illegal is if one of the SBR uppers was attached to a non registered lower, which I would not do.  Sound right?
Link Posted: 12/20/2009 12:01:20 PM EDT
[#7]
You are fine in having more than one short upper for your SBR lower, even if you have Title 1 rifles.  It is helpful to have at least one 16"+ upper for each Title 1 (non SBR) lower you have, as that makes it crystal clear that you are not "mixing and matching" short uppers onto Title 1 lowers.  My Title 1 ARs are stored assembled with appropriate uppers, as is my SBR AR.  there is no difficulty telling the difference.
Link Posted: 12/21/2009 3:49:18 AM EDT
[#8]
Thanks GHP and others.
Link Posted: 12/21/2009 2:00:32 PM EDT
[#9]
I asked the same question last month, have 4 SBR guns and some  more complete title one Rifles. Consensus was it's ok to get another SBR upper to use from time to time on a registered lower.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top