Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/15/2009 5:10:26 PM EDT
I have been thinking about getting my feet wet for the first time with a suppressed AR that I am going to build on a Spikes Tactical Upper and Lower that I just bought. I am wanting to keep the overall barrel length with suppressor below 18". Here is my question If I permanently attach a 6-8" long suppressor to a 10.5 in barrel, I have to have only one Form 4 if I buy the suppressor or a Form 1 if I make it, right? But what I am really not sure about is when the suppressor is broken down for cleaning, and the tube removed from the pined Muzzle adaptor  and the End Cap and the Baffles removed the overall length is less than 18", is this now considered a SBR? and require a second Form 1?

Any information would be appreciated,

Thanks

Richard
Semper Fi

Link Posted: 6/15/2009 5:27:34 PM EDT
[#1]
If the shortest length of the barrel with as much as you can take off of it is less than 16 inches it is an sbr.  The supressor is no different than a flashhider in that respect.  If the flashhider isnt pinned and the barrel is less than 16 it is an sbr.  If you can remove enough stuff that is not permently attached that the length is less than 16 inchs it is the same as having a 14.5 inch barrel with a flashider that takes it to 16 inches but not pinned to be perminent, an sbr.  If your going to do it pay the extra 200 bucks and do it right and not have to worry about it and have 2 seperate items that can be split up if need be.  What is the extra 200 bucks in the long run.  So yes you will need 2 stamps for this project if the supressor with the tube removed+the barrel is less than 16 which it sounds like it will be.  A form 1 to build the SBR and a form 4 to buy the can.

PS.
The minumum barrel length is 16 inches for a rifle and 18 for a shotgun.
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 6:48:36 AM EDT
[#2]
From everythin I've read you REALLY don't wanta permanently attached suppressor. Much harder to maintain. Many need to be sent back to the factory to be fixed since you as the consumer can't take the can appart.

Go with 2 stamps. Less cost of ownership.
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 7:41:33 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
From everythin I've read you REALLY don't wanta permanently attached suppressor. Much harder to maintain. Many need to be sent back to the factory to be fixed since you as the consumer can't take the can appart.

you can take them apart for cleaning if the free endcap is removable.  you will need to permanently attach one endcap to the barrel and then the outer tubing of the supressor (or any internal part for that matter)
to that endcap. you can then remove the free endcap and the internals of the supressor. you are essentially left with somthing like a long Noveske KX3
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 8:29:05 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Quoted:

you can take them apart for cleaning if the free endcap is removable.  you will need to permanently attach one endcap to the barrel and then the outer tubing of the supressor (or any internal part for that matter)
to that endcap. you can then remove the free endcap and the internals of the supressor. you are essentially left with somthing like a long Noveske KX3

I stand corrected.
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 8:59:41 AM EDT
[#5]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top