Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/30/2009 5:13:12 AM EDT
Quick and dirty question.

Is there a way to become an NFA dealer to law enforcement in a non NFA state?

Would this also lessen my cost by buying a  post 89 "Dealers Sample"?

Background:
I work in the firearms industry and would like to be able to buy a sample from my company if they ever produce for LE/ Military.
Link Posted: 4/30/2009 5:22:28 AM EDT
[#1]
Here in Illinois you become a 01 FFL, then pay for your SOT and you are a MG dealer.
Link Posted: 4/30/2009 8:54:54 AM EDT
[#2]
You cannot become a dealer for the purpose of personal ownership of MGs... you have to have a bona fide business of selling firearms.  You would have to meet local zoning, business tax laws, etc, all the things a normal functional business has to do, including hours open to the public.

To buy post samples you will have to get letters ("demo letter") from LE agencies who wish to see or have demonstrated the MG in question.
Link Posted: 4/30/2009 8:55:40 AM EDT
[#3]
I think it would be cheaper for you to move to a NFA state. If your going to sell to LE you will need a letter from a chief of Police asking for the specific firearm your planning on having made. Plus all the fees for the FFL etc... Do your research and you will find moving will cost a lot less.

Link Posted: 4/30/2009 11:17:55 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Background:
I work in the firearms industry and would like to be able to buy a sample from my company if they ever produce for LE/ Military.

1) it's post-86.

2) it would increase the cost to you, since you can't buy a *dealer* sample at all until you are a... dealer.

Link Posted: 4/30/2009 4:41:07 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Background:

In this situation it matters not that your state is not NFA friendly.  It would if you were interested in a transferable MG. But you cannot buy your company's Post Sample without being an FFL/SOT regardless of where you and your company are located.

And just to make clear, even if you endeavored to get your license, you would not really "own" the dealer sample anyway, at least in the sense you are considering.  Post Samples are completely at the mercy of your license.  If you drop your license for any reason or it is revoked, then you must transfer out any Post Samples guns you possess. The money you would be spending to get here is wasted to a degree since you must continue to spend a TON of cash on overhead to maintain the very license that allows you to keep that Dealer Sample.

Top Top