Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/23/2006 12:45:46 AM EDT
Hey I'm looking at 22lr suppressors. At a recent ar15.com shoot I played with a gem tech outback 2, I was really impressed with it, but a buddy has a tac 67 he swears by. He bought the tac because it was full auto rated. I havent seen them or heard them side by side, any one played with both, any opinions. I like that the tac comes apart, and is cheeper, but dont want to cheep out for $100, if the gemtech is much better.....Any help is apprecated! Thanks, Fisty  
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 5:03:38 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 5:21:12 AM EDT
[#2]
The three best .22 cans:

SWR Warlock
AAC Pilot
Gemtech Outback II

The Tac Ords are very good, but not the best you can get.
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 5:25:39 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
The three best .22 cans:

SWR Warlock
AAC Pilot
Gemtech Outback II

The Tac Ords are very good, but not the best you can get.

Tac Ord?  My Tac 64 was made by Tactical Innovations, they are decent little cans for not much money.  Yes the Gem-Tech cans are "better", but if I had it to do over again I'd get something FA rated.
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 4:19:47 AM EDT
[#4]
Sorry... You're right!  It's Tactical Innovations... my bad!

Link Posted: 1/28/2006 10:40:14 AM EDT
[#5]
I am really happy with my TAC 65 can.  I use it on a Walther p22, Ruger mkII and 10-22.  For the money it can not be beat.  It's really just a toy, isn't it?  Maybe if my survival depended on a suppressed .22 I would buy a Gemtech, but for my purposes, the 65 is great.  Very good level of suppression.  I can not justify another couple hundred bucks just for 3-5 decibel reduction.  I also like how the TAC 65 disassembles for cleaning.  Plus, with the money I saved I can put it towards a can for the 5.56!!
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 3:35:22 PM EDT
[#6]
I like the way you think!!
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 3:49:27 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
silencertests.com/reviews/list.pl?sortby=suppressed

can anyone explain these tests?  I am looking at 22lr suppression, and it is showing 117db and up for suppressed fire!?  Is this something other than standard db measurement?
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 4:51:05 PM EDT
[#8]
I looked at the Pilot and the Tac 65 together and now I have an OutbackII on order.
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 3:24:49 PM EDT
[#9]
I've looked at the charts and read the specs on several of the cans listed here. My question is how much diffence is there in the actual sound heard from them? Is the difference a lot or just a little?

ETA: I should have said is there much difference in the sound heard from one type(brand/model) of can compaired to another type(brand/model) of can?
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 5:46:51 PM EDT
[#10]
My Tac-65 sounds like a paintball gun.
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 5:20:24 PM EDT
[#11]
My Buddy just picked up his TAC 65 yesterday and we went out and shot it today. What a blast I have an MP5SD and a 9mm /.223 can and the .22 is the most fun by far. I have an Outback II out for paperwork and I can't wait until comes in. I will post if we can tell a difference in a side by side comparison.

Anybody know if suppressors are any quieter at 75 degrees as opposed to 45?
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 9:51:08 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 3:05:43 AM EDT
[#13]
I've heard the Tac on a P22, and an Outback on a P22, and I can say that I noticed a definate difference.  If your going to shell out for a can and a stamp, why not get the best that you can afford.
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 4:18:46 AM EDT
[#14]
I just picked up my SWR Warlock yesterday.

Small varmits are in trouble...
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 10:59:20 PM EDT
[#15]
Any one with a outback or pilot get it gumed up? How often do the need to be sent in to clean???
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 4:10:39 AM EDT
[#16]
tagged

deciding on a can for my p22
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 12:45:15 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
tagged

deciding on a can for my p22

+1
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 9:51:58 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
Any one with a outback or pilot get it gumed up? How often do the need to be sent in to clean???

Gemtech says no cleaning is necessary.  I'm buying my Outback (older used model) from a Gem-Tech distributer.  He tells me that they actually get quieter as they get dirtier.  Something about the crud inside causing more turbulence and breaking up the soundwaves better or something.

At any rate, he said don't clean it.
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 3:33:17 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Gemtech says no cleaning is necessary.  I'm buying my Outback (older used model) from a Gem-Tech distributer.  He tells me that they actually get quieter as they get dirtier.  Something about the crud inside causing more turbulence and breaking up the soundwaves better or something.

At any rate, he said don't clean it.

gem-tech states otherwise:

MAINTENANCE OF SOUND SUPPRESSORS

All sound suppressors require some degree of maintenance if maximum efficiency is to be maintained. Those of our suppressors that are sealed are designed for maintenance and cleaning by immersion in suitable solvents. Suppressors that will not drain completely are designed for partial disassembly for maintenance. All suppressors manufactured by Gemtech come with detailed instructions for operation and maintenance, a practice pioneered by the original Automatic Weapons Company.

also states somewhere when needed send back to gem-tech for service.
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 8:55:41 AM EDT
[#20]
I have a AAC SS for my Walther and Ruger rifles. Also picked up one from Keith Norman who posed some "in the raw" 22 cans for $95 shipped in the NFA section of the EE. Still waiting on the paperwork on that one. That one if for the kids so they don't mess up the AAC.
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 4:29:16 PM EDT
[#21]
Gemtech is the better choice, Doc Dater at Gemini Technologies(GemTech) does the best work and has  the best decibel reduction. Also his cans fit below the gunsites. I have several of his cans, plus many other manufacturers, Gemtech is first choice.
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 2:44:13 PM EDT
[#22]
I just picked up an Outback II and the cleaning instructions say to soak the can in WD-40 and then drain it out to clean it.

Also I fired side by side with my buddy's Tac 65 and to be honest I couldn't tell the difference. Outback is smaller but it isn't lighter or quieter IMO.

But they are fun.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top