Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/14/2005 4:55:02 AM EDT
thinking of going for a supressor for my next buy.  At first I figured a .22lr can was the way to go, then pulled a Kerry and thought I should go with an AR can.  Big question though is, do the AR cans really work?  It seems like you'd still have the supersonic crack to deal with that you wouldn't with a .22lr.  What has your experience been?  Input?  Thanks.
Link Posted: 11/14/2005 4:59:37 AM EDT
[#1]
i'll just go out on a limb and tell you that if you tried to make one from pvc, washers, and felt that it won't work and you're waste your time bttt i'm curious too
Link Posted: 11/14/2005 7:35:26 AM EDT
[#2]
Thanks for jumping in there jerrmy, I guess I can put down the can of pvc cement now..... smarty!
Link Posted: 11/14/2005 9:15:38 AM EDT
[#3]
I just got my first one a few weeks ago. It's a Hurricane Suppressor made by SRT for 5.56mm.

I'll have to admit, I was a little disappointed when I first tried it. It ranks at the top of the list as far as noise reduction, but like you said, the sonic crack is still there.

Hollywood has made these suppressors out to be something they are not. You're not going to be cloaked in silence when you shoot the thing. You will, however, be able to shoot your AR without hearing protection (at least I do.) You'll also keep from disturbing your rural neighbors. My neighbors don't mind the sound ou a 22 going off 500 times in an afternoon, but shoot an unsuppressed AR 500 times and they think you're nuts. I prefer not to maintain that image.

My suppressed AR is every bit as loud as a 22 rifle, but not any louder.

It's really cool when you take your buddy shooting, informal style, and y'all can talk and BS without wearing hearing protection and without drawing too much attention.

edited to add: I have since let it slip out to a non-gunnut that I owned a suppressor. He asked "Why would you want to shoot with a suppressor?" to which I replied "Why would you want to shoot without one?"

It's really, really dumb that they are regulated the way they are. You wouldn't dream of regulating mufflers on cars.
Link Posted: 11/14/2005 9:58:25 AM EDT
[#4]
thanks for the info, that's exactly what I suspected.  
Link Posted: 11/14/2005 1:43:49 PM EDT
[#5]
I have the SRT Hurricane suppressor as well, and am quite pleased with it. That's probably due to the fact that I knew what to reasonably expect from a centerfire rifle suppressor. They are not "silent" by any means, but definitely a lot quieter. Think of it this way: those yellow foam ear plugs are rated at something like 30 dB reduction. The better .223 suppressors will have a 33+ db reduction. So it's just like shooting with ear plugs even though you don't have ear plugs in. You can still hear the shot, but it is not painful with the sound pressure level around 132-133 dB. For reference, a .22 CB Long is around 134 dB.

If you want something like what is portrayed in the movies, then you definitely want a .22 suppressor.
Link Posted: 11/14/2005 3:34:10 PM EDT
[#6]
Don't get me wrong, I'm saving up for an SRT suppressor for my M1A. A suppressor will spoil you; it's just not what many expect.
Link Posted: 11/14/2005 4:21:27 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Don't get me wrong, I'm saving up for an SRT suppressor for my M1A.

I have an SRT Shadow on a Remington 700P (assuming that is the one you are looking at.) I haven't shot any subsonic through it yet, but it does well with full-power ammo and is basically the best .308 suppressor on the market short of huge-volume cans.
Link Posted: 11/24/2005 5:06:38 AM EDT
[#8]
Or do like I have done: buy a 223 can AND a 22 LR conversion kit for the AR. You can then shoot your AR, even full auto, with the suppressed 22 and have the best of both worlds. I have also developed low-vel 223 rounds to try to reduce the sonic crack and muzzle noise. Of course, slow it down too much and you won't cycle.
Link Posted: 11/24/2005 8:08:21 AM EDT
[#9]
My favorite and quietest suppressor is my integrally supressed 10/22.  I have an M4-96D and an AAC Cyclone.  They both make a remarkable difference but the 10/22 is just a lot more quiet even with CCI mini-mags.
Link Posted: 12/6/2005 6:39:51 AM EDT
[#10]
Is there a reason why you could buy a suppresor for a 223 and then also attach it to a 22lr?  This is of course assuming that the mounting hardware on each rifle is the same...
Link Posted: 12/6/2005 12:26:03 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
Is there a reason why you couldn't buy a suppressor for a 223 and then also attach it to a 22LR?  This is of course assuming that the mounting hardware on each rifle is the same...

It is quite possible, as both have .224" bullets. The disadvantage is that a 5.56 suppressor weighs about 8 times more than a .22LR suppressor. If you don't mind the added weight, then it is feasible. It's also a good idea to shoot a few 5.56 rounds through it now and then to blow the .22LR crud out.
Link Posted: 12/18/2005 8:10:32 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 8:27:47 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
Is there a reason why you could buy a suppresor for a 223 and then also attach it to a 22lr?  This is of course assuming that the mounting hardware on each rifle is the same...

A Vortex AR FH is 1/2 x 28 RH thread.  Conveniently, this is the same as the threading on most .22 cans.  I bought a FA rated .223 can and use it on several .22s as well as my .223.  Just have your barrels threaded the same and move from pistol to rifle to AR.  If you want movie silent .223, you will have to buy .223 subsonic ammo (I forgot the particular manufacturers, but there are a couple out there).  Most is designed to NOT cycle automatics, but there are a couple that will.  Good luck and welcome to the silent side of life.

Woody
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top