Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/28/2020 5:39:31 PM EDT
I'm pretty interested in a revolutionary style muzzle-loader. I really have my heart set on a flintlock like a Brown Bess or something similar to what the patriots would have had.

Any recommendations on a good model/manufacturer to buy? Anything from the era a much better buy than the Brown Bess?

Also, what else will I need to buy with it? (besides powder)
Link Posted: 12/28/2020 5:53:32 PM EDT
[#1]
I only know about side lock BP that uses percussion caps. can't help with flintlock brands

But , for accessories,  I'm sure its fairly universal.....

Ball rounds, patches,  lube for patches,  flint stone, BP specific cleaners and barrel seasoning ( after cleaning), spare rods, powder measuring tools, ball removal tool, patch removal tool, small ball/patch starter, spare stock "wedge" ( if the one you get attaches barrel to stock with a wedge)
Link Posted: 12/28/2020 6:18:30 PM EDT
[#2]
There's also the French equivalent of the BB, the Charleville.   Not many makers producing such guns, Pedersoli is the high end of factory , pricey but good quality.  If you are interested in rifles of the era, check out the Jagers.  If this is a purely shoot for fun gun then smoothbore is ok, but if you are going to hunt then get a rifle.  Unless you intent to use it as a shotgun.  For American made rifles of the time there was a lot of variation and a tendency to small bores (38-40) for economy, as much of the powder and lead was still imported.
Link Posted: 12/28/2020 6:35:34 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
I'm pretty interested in a revolutionary style muzzle-loader. I really have my heart set on a flintlock like a Brown Bess or something similar to what the patriots would have had.

Any recommendations on a good model/manufacturer to buy? Anything from the era a much better buy than the Brown Bess?

Also, what else will I need to buy with it? (besides powder)
View Quote

What do you want to do with it?  Just have a reproduction/model to show off to people, or do you want something you can shoot?

You can get the Indian-made replicas pretty cheaply.  They're sold as "non-firing" models because there is no touch hole.  The barrels, while seemingly stout, are also not tested.  But all it takes is a small drillbit to drill a touch hole and you have a firing Bess.  I do know some people that have done this, and I've never seen nor read about an incident about an Indian repro blowing up.

That being said, if you want a good, quality, firing piece, then Pedersoli is the only answer.  Depending on the type of Bess you want, it'll be $600-$1000 new.  I have a Pedersoli.  I don't treat it well, and I shoot it a lot at Appleseed events.  She ain't the prettiest, but she takes a lickin' and keeps on tickin'.

You'll want regular powder - F or FF, and then I also buy FFFF for the primer charge.  You'll need flints and ball.  Wait until you get yours to buy the ball, so you can tailor the ball to your actual barrel bore dimension.  You'll want to get a powder measure, so you can keep track of your loadings.  If you want to get fancy, you can buy a powder horn, primer powder holder (don't know the technical term), and the tools for servicing/maintaining it.  I'm a wuss and use a starter hammer, since the balls are a tight fit in the bore.  You want patches, too.

If you don't want to buy ball, you can buy a mold for your bore diameter and cast your own from used wheel weights, etc.

If you want to get fancy, you can buy a cartridge box and make your own cartridges.  Basically ball and powder in wadded paper.

Dixie Gun Works is a great place to learn and buy.
Link Posted: 12/28/2020 6:42:38 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History

Dixie Gun Works is a great place to learn and buy.
View Quote
Was about to post this.  Dixie Gun Works has been around a LONG time.  Great place to start for black powder stuff.
Link Posted: 12/28/2020 6:47:04 PM EDT
[#5]
www.trackofthewolf.com
Link Posted: 12/28/2020 6:50:15 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
www.trackofthewolf.com
View Quote

Great company, I sold them some spare BP barrels few years ago
Link Posted: 12/28/2020 6:52:18 PM EDT
[#7]
You will find all kinds of info on Brown Bess reproductions. I do some 18th century re-enactment and most of our guys purchased our Brown Bess from this guy:

http://veteranarms.com/ReproductionMuzzleloadersandFlintlocks/Veteran-Arms-LLC.html

I have shot tons of live and blank rounds through mine and never had an issue.
Link Posted: 12/28/2020 7:24:10 PM EDT
[#8]
Good info from all so far. Thank you.

I'd like to shoot this gun. Mostly for target. I do understand that rifling would be infinitely better for trying to actually hunt with it, which begs the question, is there a BB or similar that does have rifling?
I'm not a reenactor or anything, just really like the idea of having a historically similar muzzleloader to have out at the country.
Link Posted: 12/28/2020 7:34:00 PM EDT
[#9]
A Brown Bess is a very good choice as a first flinter . They spark very well and use Large flints they are not near as finicky as some smaller rifle locks .

60 grs 2F real back powder and .720 ball , your good to go .

IF you are able to build a simple kit there are several makers around , Sitting Fox is an inexpensive kit maker .

If you really like shooting it  you will want a rifle , a lot of purists (like me) snicker the old Thompson Center Flinters because
they are not an EXACT REPO , The TRUTH is they are very good rifles and fairly cheap on the used market . They have coil springs and good frizzens

Plus contrary to what alot of ...experts... will tell you they are vvery accurate too . Some people poo poo them because they use a compromise
1 in 48 twist . You'll hear the ... experts tell you they don't shoot round balls with that slow twist , which is pure Bullshit !

I won alot of matches with a Thompson Center Renegad .

I call myself Rocklock because I won the 1984 Flintlock Colo. State Championship .

IM me with any questions I enjoy getting people into Black Powder shooting .
Link Posted: 12/28/2020 10:51:16 PM EDT
[#10]
Didnt they use Pennsylvania Rifles in the war as well?
Link Posted: 12/28/2020 11:01:04 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 12/30/2020 12:17:31 AM EDT
[#12]
Okay, I'm now looking at the Charleville and BB model 2. Any reason for one over the other? Probably a Pedersoli.

Link Posted: 1/1/2021 7:17:33 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Okay, I'm now looking at the Charleville and BB model 2. Any reason for one over the other? Probably a Pedersoli.

View Quote

Well, if you really want to flaunt the whole Patriot side of things, then the answer will be the Charleville. Don't let people poo-poo them as being late war thing, as they were starting to arrive in country by 1777, and there were also many of the previous French model muskets in state stores since the end of the F&I War, but those didin't look the same as the M1766. If you plan on shooting it, get the Pedersoli, at least their safety is never questioned. The M1766 also became the pattern for our very first Musket pattern, the M1795.
Link Posted: 1/13/2021 1:40:51 PM EDT
[#14]
Kibler Colonial Virginia rifle.
It all depends on your skill level.  Get better, then a Jim Chambers kit.  Both are good kits, but Kibler is more suited for beginners.
Link Posted: 1/14/2021 3:47:50 PM EDT
[#15]
If it’s a rifle you desire, the Kibler Colonial is a great choice for a beginner.
Link Posted: 1/14/2021 4:49:42 PM EDT
[#16]
I'm going to take a run at a musket first, then if I really enjoy the hobby, I'll go for a rifle. Thanks for the suggestion.

I'll update here once I make a purchase.

Does anyone make their own black powder as well? That seems like a good skill/hobby to couple with the shooting.
Link Posted: 1/14/2021 5:16:21 PM EDT
[#17]
Basically you have two choices: Brown Bess or Charleville if you want to portray Revolutionary period American soldiers.
Between these two I prefer the Charleville.
The stock on the Pedersoli Bess is kinda long in length of pull. So if you're a normal sized guy the Charleville will fit you better.
The 1766 Charleville is the period correct gun for American RevWar. The current made Bess isn't 100% historically correct for RevWar but everybody uses them anyway because there isn't anything else except custom made guns.

The only guns currently produced are Pedersoli or Indian made. Avoid the Indian guns.
The Pedersoli is a solid gun. Well made. Heavy. Might require a bit of smithing to get it run 100%. Buy with confidence.
Once upon a time Miruko of Japan made a Bess. These are out there and are good to go.
The Indian guns are crap. Do not FO.

Accessories needed aren't much if you're just gonna be a casual shooter. Powder measure, specific caliber cleaning implements, etc.
If you're going to go the whole way into outfitting as a period soldier you'll spend another several hundred dollars getting bayo, cartridge box, etc.

Accuracy is the suck. Smoothbores are like that.
You can spend the time working up a load for your gun if you want. I didn't. I just do Buck&Ball.
Lyman makes the bullet molds you'll need. You can buy ready made balls from Dixie or Track of the Wolf but they're expensive.
Cleaning is a chore. Buy the correct calibers brushes and jags. Use them. You can buy commercial made BP solvents. They work but are expensive. A little Dawn dishwashing liquid in water does just as well. Just be very careful to remove all the soap. It will rust the beejabbers out of the metal quickly.
You can buy an attachment for the musket ramrod that connects the cleaning implements. I use that and a shotgun rod with extra sections on it to get way down that long barrel.

You MUST use real blackpowder in flinters. The substitutes don't work. They're too resistant to sparks. Make sure you can source BP.

I make the military style paper cartridges but you don't need to. Loading with loose components is okay for range use.

Link Posted: 1/19/2021 6:30:59 PM EDT
[#18]
As others have noted, the Pedersoli and Miroku Brown Bess muskets are good.  The Pedersoli Charleville is good.  I would avoid the Indian-made guns for a serious shooter.

The smoothbores are surprisingly accurate, IF you use patched round ball.  The problem is that you are going to have to mold your own.  Use pure lead.  Run the lead and mold HOT, you're making big bullets.  Get used to shooting the gun by feel...and careful cheek weld.

Powder:  Real black powder only.  Stay clear of the substitutes.  Use commercial powder.  Most competitive shooters are using 3F for propellant, but some use 2F.  For range use, use 4F...or Swiss Null B (about 7F) for priming.  Preferably the latter.  Spread it in a thin layer over the entire pan surface...you want the first spark to hit powder.

Stuff you'll need: Spare flints.  A small hammer for resharpening flints.  A small brush for cleaning them.  Some scrap leather for fastening them in the jaws of the cock.  A good range rod with suitable loading jag, cleaning jag, and bullet puller.  A powder measure.  Some tubes for powder (blood vials work nicely for this).

Have fun!  Look around, you should be able to contact someone from the NMLRA who can give you one-on-one tips.
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 1:38:43 AM EDT
[#19]
Middlesex trading company is to be avoided in my opinion. Im13 months on the waiting list
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 8:42:53 PM EDT
[#20]
I was looking at GUNS INTERNATIONAL last night there were some interesting options .

A nice Brown Bess and an origanal Belgian made flinter were offered .
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top