Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/1/2018 3:19:42 PM EDT
In the near future I`m planning to buy a Hawken style rifle, in percussion, and learn about shooting patched round balls. (I`ve been shooting cap and ball revolvers for a year or so and would like to expand my black powder shooting)

I`ve always wanted a Lyman Great Plains rifle since I was a kid so that`s the brand and model I`ve decided on.

Lyman offers their rifles in .50 and .54 caliber.

I`m not planning on hunting, just paper and steel targets.

Does one caliber, for my purposes, have an advantage over the other?
Link Posted: 9/1/2018 3:41:08 PM EDT
[#1]
“.50 caliber or better.” -Jeremiah Johnson

That being said, I have a .54.
Link Posted: 9/1/2018 4:16:57 PM EDT
[#2]
.50", will stop any thing you come across.
Link Posted: 9/1/2018 4:35:46 PM EDT
[#3]
I used a 54 for utah mule deer after hitting and losing a couple with a 50. Both were the T/C renegade model with a patched roundball over  pyrodex P.

50 Cal roundball weighs around 177 grains

54 Cal roundball weights around 230 grains.

Neither one was all that great with a chest or shoulder shot, so my final few years I went head shot only.  I quit muzzleloading when Utah changed their laws about muzzleoading hunting and eliminated the late season hunt.  Killed my first buck back in 1979 with a CVA mountain rifle in 50 Cal.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 9/1/2018 4:49:04 PM EDT
[#4]
.50 for versatility and ease of finding projectiles.
Link Posted: 9/1/2018 5:14:37 PM EDT
[#5]

Just paper punching? .40 / .45 /.50 take your pick
Link Posted: 9/1/2018 5:23:09 PM EDT
[#6]
For general plinking and target work .45 to .50 cal.

.50 and up for hunting.
Link Posted: 9/1/2018 6:09:45 PM EDT
[#7]
The Lyman Great Plains Rifles are a terrific choice. I have shot the 1-60 round ball twist with patched ball, and the Hunter model with the 1-32 twist which works great with conicals like the Lee REAL, T/C Maxi-Ball ammo. Killed a lot of deer with the 50 caliber round ball and 90 grains of FFg powder in Florida and on the farm in Georgia. Hogs as well. Generally shot from 30-90 yards as that was what the terrain allowed. Only had to track a few animals as most of the time they dropped within a few yards, if they ran at all. I liked the round ball barrel the best as it was more traditional and more challenging. And it was VERY accurate. If I were in your shoes, I would go with the faster 1-32 twist Great Plains Hunter as you will be able to shoot both round ball and conical bullets. In my 1-60 twist barreled gun the few times I tried a maxi-ball, it shot consistently at 3 o'clock on the target. Adding /reducing the powder simply moved the POI further out or closer in from the center of the target. OTOH the 1-32 barrel ate the conical bullets like a kid in a candy store.

Get the Lyman GP Hunter, you will not be disappointed.
Link Posted: 9/3/2018 6:18:37 PM EDT
[#8]
Well, I certainly appreciate all the information.

I made the decision today to go with .54 caliber.
I think it`ll give a bit more energy to topple steel and I don`t see a big cost difference between .50 and .54 caliber balls.

I had the chance this weekend to take a close look at and handle a couple of newer production Great Plains Rifles.

They were nice and I`ve been told they`re quite accurate but there were some things I noted that lead me to conclude that I wouldn`t be completely happy with one.

I`ve ordered a Pedersoli Rocky Mountain Hawken from Dixie Gun Works.

From reviews and information I`ve found, I believe that I`ll be very satisfied with the quality and accuracy of the Pedersoli rifle.
Link Posted: 9/10/2018 1:41:15 PM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
“.50 caliber or better.” -Jeremiah Johnson

That being said, I have a .54.
View Quote
Beat like an ornery mule!  I have a .54 also.
You will be happy with a Pedersoli from DGW.
Link Posted: 11/22/2018 12:35:39 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 11/22/2018 2:22:48 PM EDT
[#11]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
The Lyman Great Plains Rifles are a terrific choice. I have shot the 1-60 round ball twist with patched ball, and the Hunter model with the 1-32 twist which works great with conicals like the Lee REAL, T/C Maxi-Ball ammo. Killed a lot of deer with the 50 caliber round ball and 90 grains of FFg powder in Florida and on the farm in Georgia. Hogs as well. Generally shot from 30-90 yards as that was what the terrain allowed. Only had to track a few animals as most of the time they dropped within a few yards, if they ran at all. I liked the round ball barrel the best as it was more traditional and more challenging. And it was VERY accurate. If I were in your shoes, I would go with the faster 1-32 twist Great Plains Hunter as you will be able to shoot both round ball and conical bullets. In my 1-60 twist barreled gun the few times I tried a maxi-ball, it shot consistently at 3 o'clock on the target. Adding /reducing the powder simply moved the POI further out or closer in from the center of the target. OTOH the 1-32 barrel ate the conical bullets like a kid in a candy store.

Get the Lyman GP Hunter, you will not be disappointed.
View Quote
The Lyman GPR is an excellent choice.   They’re made by Investarms, who also makes their own line of guns, as well as Cabellas brand.

I have a Lyman and a Cabellas branded gun.   Side by side, you can’t tell them apart except for the roll marks.   You may be able to save a few bucks by going directly to Investarms.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top