Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/20/2018 6:45:48 PM EDT
Just received an alert via Midshouth Shooters Supply regarding a Lyman Muzzleloader recall.  Check it out if you own one (probably recent production):

Lyman Products Corp. (“Lyman”) is voluntarily recalling black powder rifles and pistols due to the
potential of separation in the breech plug. Lyman maintains a safety-first approach, so despite finding
only a few firearms affected and no reported injuries, we are offering a recall program to have the issue
corrected. Lyman regrets the inconvenience but remains committed to the safety of our customers.
475 Smith Street
Middletown, CT 06457
office: 860-632-2020
www.lymanproducts.com

Products:
This recall includes black powder rifles and pistols regardless of caliber (including Deerstalker, Great Plains, Great Plains Hunter, Trade Rifle, Plains Pistol, Black Powder Kits, and replacement barrels; excluding Percussion Left Hand Great Plains and Left Hand Great Plains Hunter models) manufactured from March 1, 2017 to December 22, 2017. Barrels with the serial number in the range of A595960–A599026 are subject to this recall.

Safety Warning:
Lyman has determined that some black powder rifles and pistols could, under certain circumstances, develop separation in the breech plug, which may pose a potential safety hazard. Please do not load or use any rifles or pistols subject to this recall.
How to Identify Rifles and Pistols Subject to the Recall:
Find the serial number where the barrel meets the tang, opposite of the lock. The serial number has the letter “A” followed by a series of 6 numbers.

Action to be Taken:
If the serial number is within the range of A595960–A599026, immediately discontinue any use of this product. Please contact the Lyman Customer Service Department by emailing [email protected] or by calling 800-225-9626 Monday through Friday, 9 a.m. to 4:15 p.m. EST. You will be asked to provide your contact information, serial number, and either the part number or model to process the return.
Anyone outside the U.S.A. who is in possession of a black powder rifle or pistol within the recall range should contact your local distributor immediately.

Shipping:
Upon receipt of the information provided to customer service, Lyman will send instructions and packaging to ship the product to Lyman for replacement at no cost to the customer. Lyman will provide a replacement barrel and tang with instructions or will replace the barrel and tang at Lyman and return the firearm. Please only return your rifle, pistol, or barrel and tang with the provided shipping tags and boxes

Link Posted: 2/21/2018 1:17:10 AM EDT
[#1]
I think I was the one that caused this  

Link to thread where i experienced said failure - with pics

Link Posted: 2/21/2018 1:20:19 AM EDT
[#2]
Part of why I posted this here was because I thought I remembered someone posting about this very issue.

Were you aware of the recall, or did they tell you it was just your gun?

Must have happened to more than just yours, though.  I doubt one instance can trigger a recall.  If I recall, you suffered no personal injury, which is very good!

Rob
Link Posted: 2/21/2018 1:46:33 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Part of why I posted this here was because I thought I remembered someone posting about this very issue.

Were you aware of the recall, or did they tell you it was just your gun?

Must have happened to more than just yours, though.  I doubt one instance can trigger a recall.  If I recall, you suffered no personal injury, which is very good!

Rob
View Quote
I just got the midsouth email, that's the first i'd heard of it. Lyman didn't tell me anything other than they were going to replace the rifle and they sent me a new one

I was not injured, thankfully!
Link Posted: 2/21/2018 10:01:05 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

I just got the midsouth email, that's the first i'd heard of it. Lyman didn't tell me anything other than they were going to replace the rifle and they sent me a new one

I was not injured, thankfully!
View Quote
Just wondering, did the replacement rifle also fall into the serial number range of the recall?
I bought my GPR during this time period but it's left handed. No issues and I've put a couple stout loads through it - 90gr to 120gr.
Link Posted: 2/25/2018 11:33:07 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Just wondering, did the replacement rifle also fall into the serial number range of the recall?
I bought my GPR during this time period but it's left handed. No issues and I've put a couple stout loads through it - 90gr to 120gr.
View Quote
yes it did
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top