Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/14/2009 6:48:29 AM EDT
I am finishing my stock and I have one coat of sealer on it, I noticed it felt a little rough just under the cheek piece. If I sand the stock more at this stage will the sealer look spotty there? Thanks
Link Posted: 9/14/2009 9:52:38 AM EDT
[#1]
....under the Cheek piece?....you might just keep building the finish up ...how many coats so far?...one?....aks me after about 5-7...and no it wont appear spotty....
Link Posted: 9/14/2009 11:32:29 AM EDT
[#2]
Thanks, Only one coat so far. I'll build it up and see how it feels then.SS
Link Posted: 9/14/2009 11:56:18 AM EDT
[#3]
The thing about using sealer to build the finish is you can control it easier than the stock finish, a gentle rubbing of #0000 steel wool after the first 3-4 coats will give you an idea of what the completed finish will look like...a very soft sheen, at that point you can apply 1-2 coats of stock finish BY HAND rubbing it in till dry if you want the final product to be about impervious to all but nukes....then a light rub with basilicon after about a week to give it the final look.....Basilicon is a very old receipt, it is basically 4 parts Xtra virgin olive oil added to 1 part of melted beeswax, not only is this historically correct it works well as a leather preservative, pan sealer,lip balm, and patch lube...it is the only lube i use on Flintlocks...it takes me less time to clean a Firelock than an AR...it seasons the bore after about 100 shots or so..however you really dont want to scrub the bore hard once seasoned, kind of defeats the purpose, and once seasoned you can clean your firelock in camp with cold water from your canteen...
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 7:27:59 AM EDT
[#4]
I know I have seen beeswax for sale I can't remember where. Any ideas? Thanks. SS
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 10:12:35 AM EDT
[#5]
I would say go to the next black powder event in your area and you will more than likely find all you want....I have quite a bit of it from a beekeeper here in my area....
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 4:45:25 AM EDT
[#6]
I think I can pick some up at the gun store close to me. Thanks for the tip.SS
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 6:03:28 AM EDT
[#7]
very welcome....if you are feeling REALLY sporty you can use Deer Tallow as well, I have made "cakes" of lube from rendered bear fat and deer tallow blended with Olive Oil and it works just as well at the same time being 100% correct for the period...mash some jerky and dried cranberries into it along with some parched corn and you have a fine trail food similar to "rockahominy'.....
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top