Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/30/2005 2:22:54 PM EDT
I'm sitting here at work and my buddy brought in an old replica 1860 Army 44cal black powder revolver. The hammer wont stay back. I took it apart and the frame works fine when the cylinder is out of the gun. When you put it back together the hammer still wont stay all the way back. What are we doing wrong?
Link Posted: 7/30/2005 12:46:29 PM EDT
[#1]
Take the grips off so you can see the malfunction.
Link Posted: 7/30/2005 1:05:07 PM EDT
[#2]
Sounds like the cylinder latch.
Link Posted: 7/30/2005 7:37:39 AM EDT
[#3]
If you don't get a reply here,try an outdoor forum site,like graybeardoutdoors.com.They have a BP revolver forum,and some good folks there.Dave
Link Posted: 7/30/2005 2:21:21 PM EDT
[#4]
If I had to take a guess based on your brief description I'd have to say the "hand" that rotates the cylinder is too long.  When the cylinder can't rotate any further the hammer stops coming back since the "hand" is directly connected to the hammer and it is pushing on the ratchet teeth on the back of the cylinder.  The "bolt" that locks the cylinder is locking the cylinder from rotating before the hammer is at full cock.  

Kent
Link Posted: 7/30/2005 2:59:13 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
If I had to take a guess based on your brief description I'd have to say the "hand" that rotates the cylinder is too long.  ...

+1

Or maybe the cylinder is binding.

With the cylinder in place, pull the hammer back as far as it will go and then continue to gently pull on it while twisting the cylinder with your other hand to see if it will turn a bit more than it already has.

I’d think that a trigger sear that’s a little too long could also cause the same problem

Link Posted: 7/31/2005 10:27:59 AM EDT
[#6]
Rainman, "Yeah, the hand, definately the hand, also called the pawl.  You know i am an excellent gun smith.  Definately the pawl." ( End Rainman mode, its too creepy)
Link Posted: 7/31/2005 7:11:07 PM EDT
[#7]
Sometimes a spent cap will fall down into the works . It can be maddening till you figure it out . I wouldnt think parts Paw/Hand would be too long on a used gun . Is the sear engagement clean not all buggered up ? Just keep looking at it maybe two days and figure it out , and just when you do the paw spring will break !

Edited to add how about the Star on the rear of the cylinder is it buggered up ?
Link Posted: 7/31/2005 7:23:49 PM EDT
[#8]
Damn,

I didn't even know there was a Black Powder / Muzzlelodaing forum

I am really glad to have found it though since 80% of my shooting is with front stuffers

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top