Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/14/2020 12:04:45 AM EDT
What in the world has happened with these things? Going through GunBroker I was seeing non matching Russian captures going for as much or more than non matching GI bring backs. What has spurred this nonsense?
Link Posted: 2/14/2020 12:09:24 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
What in the world has happened with these things? Going through GunBroker I was seeing non matching Russian captures going for as much or more than non matching GI bring backs. What has spurred this nonsense?
View Quote
Supply, demand...

How do you define non-matching GI Bringbacks?

Bolt mismatches are hitting $1k often now...

98k's have gone through the roof...and the sheer numbers of humped guns out there because of it is astonishing...
Link Posted: 2/14/2020 9:03:38 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Supply, demand...

How do you define non-matching GI Bringbacks?

Bolt mismatches are hitting $1k often now...

98k's have gone through the roof...and the sheer numbers of humped guns out there because of it is astonishing...
View Quote
I was going off the descriptions on GunBroker to define them. I saw a couple that were listed as mismatched with no import marks, so I am assuming that they were GI bring backs, that went for $600-700. Then there were Russian captures for $850+ and a Mitchell's Mauser that went for over $1000.
Link Posted: 2/14/2020 1:15:10 PM EDT
[#3]
Well , they have gone through the roof with supply and demand and have been steadily creeping up over the last 10 years or more. I don't get the Mitchel Mauser deal, other than people with more money then sense , but that would be similar to any auction house.

If I was just looking for a Kar98k to fill a void ,I would look at a Yugo rework as they seem to be more reasonable than the Russian refurbs these days.

And , there would be noway a serious collector would pay more for a Russian Refurb than an original bring back unless for some reason that refurb is a rare example.

For me I stopped buying some years ago when a number of "dicked with " stuff kept popping up all over the place and it became harder to recognize some of the fakes. I'm good with what I got and have slowly let go of a number of items over the last several years.

Good luck
Link Posted: 2/23/2020 11:07:59 PM EDT
[#4]
Mines is an AR 1941 made RC.

Hell I'd trade mines for a M1 Garand.
Link Posted: 2/24/2020 11:06:09 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
If I was just looking for a Kar98k to fill a void ,I would look at a Yugo rework as they seem to be more reasonable than the Russian refurbs these days.
View Quote
The Yugo reworks are certainly the most reasonably priced of the various K98ks on the market.  Postwar Czech K98ks are a bit more, but still relatively reasonably priced on the secondary market.
Link Posted: 2/24/2020 1:53:02 PM EDT
[#6]
I had a bunch of rc's and sold all but one . Easily got $650 or more for rare marked ones like BSW and even had a MO marked one that was super rare. They were a good investment.
Link Posted: 2/24/2020 3:07:17 PM EDT
[#7]
Agreed, I have one RC and it's fantastic as a shooter and neat piece to look at/research. I love Mauser K98K's, one was my first center fire rifle and such a cool legacy. My lgs has a clean yugo, should have picked it up but I have a good rifle and barely the time to shoot it. Shew
Link Posted: 2/24/2020 8:42:05 PM EDT
[#8]
I just bought this one today for $500. I think I got a good deal. Its unfired since coming into the US.

F138C2E2-71A4-4036-8846-1A0348105823 by Austin Scott, on Flickr

4D497A2E-0B37-43C6-850C-4417D80AF700 by Austin Scott, on Flickr
Link Posted: 2/25/2020 7:58:13 AM EDT
[#9]
View Quote
Looks solid, you going to shoot it I hope? :)
Link Posted: 2/25/2020 8:43:47 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Well , they have gone through the roof with supply and demand and have been steadily creeping up over the last 10 years or more. I don't get the Mitchel Mauser deal, other than people with more money then sense , but that would be similar to any auction house.

And , there would be noway a serious collector would pay more for a Russian Refurb than an original bring back unless for some reason that refurb is a rare example.

For me I stopped buying some years ago when a number of "dicked with " stuff kept popping up all over the place and it became harder to recognize some of the fakes. I'm good with what I got and have slowly let go of a number of items over the last several years.

Good luck
View Quote
Yep I wouldn’t pay high dollars for any now.   Might be tempted if I stumbled into a “been in my deceased husbands closet since before we were married in the fifties”
Link Posted: 2/25/2020 12:36:35 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Looks solid, you going to shoot it I hope? :)
View Quote
Totally will. I shoot everything I own, at least a little.
Link Posted: 2/25/2020 2:15:18 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Totally will. I shoot everything I own, at least a little.
View Quote
Excellent, same here!
Link Posted: 2/26/2020 12:12:22 PM EDT
[#13]
I paid equivalent of $650 for my RC with a early bayonet. $300 plus a yugo m48.

Worth it to me because the bore was mint with everything fit together nice.   A lot of k98s are pretty rough.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top