Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/13/2013 11:32:51 PM EDT
I've heard of these coming up for sale once in a blue moon but does anyone have any info on them?
Link Posted: 12/14/2013 2:03:36 AM EDT
[#1]
I have one. What do you want to know about them?
Link Posted: 12/14/2013 3:58:04 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
I've heard of these coming up for sale once in a blue moon but does anyone have any info on them?
View Quote

It depends on what you mean.  Are you talking about the Irish Contract no4 mk2 Enfields, or are you talking about a Royal Irish Constabulary SMLE?
Link Posted: 12/14/2013 5:02:38 AM EDT
[#3]
There are a variety of different Irish Enfield rifles. The so-called "Irish Contract" No. 4 Mk. 2s were mostly not delivered to Ireland.

Irish SMLEs have a number of identifying marks. The stacked "FF in a circle" Fianna Fail mark is one of them, and generally appears on the barrel shank and or knox form. Irish Mk. Is and Mk. I half-converts can be easily identified by their restamped serials with specific prefixes (ER, CR, and G).
Link Posted: 12/14/2013 11:43:22 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
There are a variety of different Irish Enfield rifles. The so-called "Irish Contract" No. 4 Mk. 2s were mostly not delivered to Ireland.

Irish SMLEs have a number of identifying marks. The stacked "FF in a circle" Fianna Fail mark is one of them, and generally appears on the barrel shank and or knox form. Irish Mk. Is and Mk. I half-converts can be easily identified by their restamped serials with specific prefixes (ER, CR, and G).
View Quote

I'm on the lookout for one of those ER, CR, or G rifles, I'd love to add one to my collection....
Link Posted: 12/14/2013 1:08:52 PM EDT
[#5]
Royal Irish Constabulary SMLE
Link Posted: 12/14/2013 3:30:07 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Royal Irish Constabulary SMLE
View Quote

They're a much more rare animal.  The RIC carbines are converted Lee-Enfield cavalry carbines (technically not an SMLE), all made prior to 1904 and converted between 1904 and the beginning of WWI.  Finding one that is complete and correct is not particularly common.

They should have a short, six round magazine.  The royal cypher will be on the left side of the butt socket, rather than the right, and the rifle will be marked beneath the cypher as a Lee-Enfield carbine (LEC I or I*).

Lots of good pictures here.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top