Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/1/2013 9:23:14 PM EDT
I can get a M44 for $150 from JG sales today plus shipping, or a type 53 for $99. I may buy from Buds actually if I get the 53 the free shipping evens out the prices, but what I want to know is is there any real differance between the 2 as far as quality or specs? I'm guessing russian is going to be a better investment?
My use would mostly just be as a truck gun, wall hanger, spare gun for the back room (defensive) and plinking. (I may buy more than 1)
Link Posted: 12/2/2013 3:23:14 AM EDT
[#1]
Be curious to see others , but I'm guessing "investment" and "re-sale" will come up
Beyond that guys that own the 53s seem happy with them from my research
Link Posted: 12/2/2013 4:55:42 AM EDT
[#2]
Functionally? No. The Type 53s generally have better triggers.

As far as external condition and collectibility goes, yes.
Link Posted: 12/2/2013 7:12:47 AM EDT
[#3]
The difference in quality depends on the year. 45-48 M44s tend to be much nicer then t53s while 43-45 M44s tend to be rougher.
Appearance/Condition wise most Russian M44s are going to be Very Good to Good. T53s tend to be Average. Most look like some one used the stock as a hammer and then buried the rifle in damp soil for a few months.
Link Posted: 12/2/2013 7:34:49 AM EDT
[#4]
I've had 3 T53s.  All had shot out barrels and head space issue.

I hope you get better ones.
Link Posted: 12/2/2013 8:10:21 AM EDT
[#5]
"Good" condition is probably not what most people expect in a firearm.  It includes surface rust and light pitting.  "Fair" includes unrepaired broken or cracked stocks and pitting.  

Just have low expectations with any T53, IMHO.

I bought two Ufixems from Century and the wood on one is really bad with splintering and being too soft.  The other has a normal, birch type wood that is repairable.  The metal on both is a combination of patina and very light overall bluing.  For the price?  Awesome deal.  

I think that most would turn their noses up at a Chinese rifle if you wanted to resell it, so the Russian would be better investment.  I don't think that you are going to make money on either one as much as you would just have a $150-200 rifle later.  

Like the other guy said, the trigger and bolt on my T53's are fantastic.  One is a shooter and the other is a 10-12 MOA.  Neither have visible damage to the crown, but both have comprable pitted bores.  

Link Posted: 12/2/2013 8:14:37 AM EDT
[#6]
oh, and the t53 that I have with the soft, splinterd stock has the be the most cosmoline saturated stock that I have owned out of 30 C&R rifles.  It has been so much trouble that I have basically given up on it not oozing during the summer
Link Posted: 12/2/2013 2:08:15 PM EDT
[#7]
I have a war-time Russian M44 with a stamped-number matching Chinese bolt.  Only one I have ever seen.  I also have a T53.  I have a post war M44.  They are all fine carbines.  All things being equal (condition), the T53 is as fine a M44-type as any.  They often have very smooth actions.
Link Posted: 12/2/2013 2:17:12 PM EDT
[#8]
I've got a 1946 M-44 that is beautiful. The finish and the wood are flawless. It's much better than the condition of seen most Type 53's.
Link Posted: 12/2/2013 2:32:40 PM EDT
[#9]
China hates their wooden stocks, apparently. Very rough.

On the other hand, the trigger and bolt are far smoother in my type 53 than in my M44.
Link Posted: 12/2/2013 3:24:57 PM EDT
[#10]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

China hates their wooden stocks, apparently. Very rough.

On the other hand, the trigger and bolt are far smoother in my type 53 than in my M44.
View Quote
Yep, my T53 stock looks like it was dragged by a rope down a gravel road by a truck.  But its a really good shooter with a nice trigger.  And it cost me $35 bucks a few years ago.  I have a really nice Polish M44 but the T53 goes on my camping/shooting trips.  Its nice having a good shooting beater.

Link Posted: 12/3/2013 7:09:13 AM EDT
[#11]
I don't presume to know everyone's financial situation, but why not get both?
Link Posted: 12/3/2013 8:53:24 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I don't presume to know everyone's financial situation, but why not get both?
View Quote

The only rational answer.
Link Posted: 12/4/2013 9:42:20 PM EDT
[#13]

M44 is superbly made carbine of mighty Soviet Union.  Chinese knock off is cheap of making and insulting to generous nature of great comrade Stalin.
Link Posted: 12/5/2013 5:18:05 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

M44 is superbly made carbine of mighty Soviet Union.  Chinese knock off is cheap of making and insulting to generous nature of great comrade Stalin.
View Quote

Once again...laughing!  But true...  My M44 is far above any of the Type 53s I have seen.  Same idea, much better execution.  Like my post in the SKS thread, I will also say once again that you've just gotta love that Russian wood stock!  M44 all the way.  Polish are nice too, especially if you like blondes (wood stocks, that is).
Link Posted: 12/5/2013 7:46:21 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Once again...laughing!  But true...  My M44 is far above any of the Type 53s I have seen.  Same idea, much better execution.  Like my post in the SKS thread, I will also say once again that you've just gotta love that Russian wood stock!  M44 all the way.  Polish are nice too, especially if you like blondes (wood stocks, that is).
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Compare a wartime unissued M44 with an unissued T53 and you will see that the T53 is every bit as good if not better.
Link Posted: 12/5/2013 7:58:57 AM EDT
[#16]
I love the trigger on my T53
Link Posted: 12/5/2013 4:47:55 PM EDT
[#17]
It depends, for both.  The T53s will generally have a rougher looking stock, but not always.  Just generally.  Also, you will most likely receive your T53 without a cleaning rod.  Chances are the bolt and magazine floor plate will be mismatched from the serial number on the receiver as well.

They sell cheap T53/M44/M38 cleaning rods on Amazon.  They don't sell full size rods but they do sell reproduction short rods.  They fit perfectly and look unique.  The only thing is that the tip is entirely smooth.  Who cares, probably made in China.  Matches the T53 in that respect
Link Posted: 12/6/2013 11:10:38 PM EDT
[#18]
Usually the T53 will have a better trigger, the M44 will have better resale, and hold it's value, the also usually look nicer.
Link Posted: 12/7/2013 4:35:21 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Usually the T53 will have a better trigger, the M44 will have better resale, and hold it's value, the also usually look nicer.
View Quote

Words of greedy capitalist.  Mosin Nagant defeats Czarists and defends Motherland in Great Patriotic War.  What for you sell rifle like this?

Mosin Nagant bring great celebration and joy of owning that money cannot afford.
Link Posted: 12/10/2013 5:15:53 PM EDT
[#20]
I have both and my T-53 which both were hand selected one by Aim and one by me locally. Both have stocks that look like they were attacked by angry beavers.one has some blue one has less and a nice grey patina. One is all matching except magazine one is all matching except bolt. My worse Russian has a nicer finish . I think the Chinese guns have better smoother actions from hard use.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 12/11/2013 7:41:31 PM EDT
[#21]
From what I've witnessed, surplus guns are cheap while they're being imported by the boatload, then the price climbs as the supply dwindles away.  Neither gun would be a bad investment, and will likely "earn more interest" than what you'll get from any sort of basic account in a bank (checking, savings, CD, etc).

Someone said that the T53s were covered in axle grease (instead of cosmoline) and that the rifles were wired together in bundles for storage.  This seems accurate from what I've seen.  The stocks on the ones I have are all Asian "Chu" wood, which is an odd, soft, stringy wood.  The actions on the 5 T-53s I have are smooth, but I don't know if that's from manufacturing or from heavy use.  

If the guns were the same price, and I could only have 1, I'd take the Russian.  For the price difference, it's a bit tougher of a decision.  "Get both" is an acceptable (and in this case, pretty affordable for most folk) answer.  They'll take the same ammo and accessories, too.
Link Posted: 12/14/2013 6:55:13 PM EDT
[#22]
Plus 1 on this^^^^^^, it wasn't long ago that T53s were harder to find.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top