Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/23/2011 10:35:28 PM EDT
How  much would say this Russian 19433 M44 is worth??

Sell is asking $260 that seems a bit high.
Link Posted: 4/23/2011 3:11:30 PM EDT
[#1]
1,000,000.00 turkish lira...

Those can be had for $89.00 on sale at Big 5
Link Posted: 4/23/2011 3:24:21 PM EDT
[#2]
I haven't seen an M44 locally for over 2 years. The last one I bought was $150 back in 2007.

91/30's are cheap, $89 cheap...    but I haven't seen an M44 that cheap in forever.

It looks nice, and if the bore is clean, I would snatch it up.
Link Posted: 4/23/2011 4:06:33 PM EDT
[#3]
You should ask the curio amd relic forum. Click on armory then curio and relic.
Link Posted: 4/23/2011 4:43:54 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I haven't seen an M44 locally for over 2 years. The last one I bought was $150 back in 2007.

91/30's are cheap, $89 cheap...    but I haven't seen an M44 that cheap in forever.

It looks nice, and if the bore is clean, I would snatch it up.

Even if the rifle is forced matches?
Link Posted: 4/23/2011 11:00:01 PM EDT
[#5]
Lol.  Well, until last month, they were about $100 retail all day long, but now, they are apparently $200 from Aim Surp.

So, it's worth what your willing to pay, but personally, I would say maybe $130ish give or take.
Link Posted: 4/24/2011 12:04:01 AM EDT
[#6]
I just looked on MosinNagant.net and found that there was only 50,000 1943 dated M44s made. Compare that to 1944 where there was 3.6 million made.  Those numbers alone are going to increase the value of the rifle for collectors. Now I'm not an expert on any rifles but i do not think that asking price is out of line considering the rarity of the rifle.

One last thing, if all the numbers had matched on that rifle it would be worth even more.
Link Posted: 4/24/2011 5:45:21 AM EDT
[#7]
$260 for a mismatched 44? LOL!!
Link Posted: 4/24/2011 6:03:20 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I just looked on MosinNagant.net and found that there was only 50,000 1943 dated M44s made. Compare that to 1944 where there was 3.6 million made.  Those numbers alone are going to increase the value of the rifle for collectors. Now I'm not an expert on any rifles but i do not think that asking price is out of line considering the rarity of the rifle.

One last thing, if all the numbers had matched on that rifle it would be worth even more.

This^^ The 1943's were trials rifles and were sent into battle for evaluation. I would say the price is OK, not a screaming deal, but OK if you need a 1943 M44 for your collection. The days of $69 M44's are over.
ETA–– oooops
Link Posted: 4/24/2011 6:20:30 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Quoted:

This^^ The 1943's were trials rifles and were sent into battle for evaluation. I would say the price is OK, not a screaming deal, but OK if you need a 1943 M44 for your collection. The days of $69 M44's are over.
ETA–– oooops

How much would you say a good condition 1946r M44 would be valued at? I just want a good M44 to shoot and for my Russian collection.
Link Posted: 4/24/2011 6:34:41 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

ETA–– oooops

How much would you say a good condition 1946r M44 would be valued at? I just want a good M44 to shoot and for my Russian collection.

just keep your 43 dated rifle and shoot it, even 43 dated rifles aren't uber rare collectors rifles, shoot the one you have and clean it properly after shooting any surplus ammo
Link Posted: 4/24/2011 8:58:33 AM EDT
[#11]
Looks like laminated stock also. Along with the "43" date it's probably a good price.
Link Posted: 4/24/2011 12:14:21 PM EDT
[#12]
imho,

too high for that one. too heavily refurbed.

if you are looking for a 43 m44, keep your eyes open for a local deal. i picked up one all stamped matching with counter bore, which is common on these, for 150 about 6 months ago or so.

Link Posted: 4/24/2011 2:03:58 PM EDT
[#13]
It's worth whatever you can get for it... refurb Mosin prices are currently in a high state of flux.

IMOP I'd say $175 being it a 1943 dated matching # arsenal refurb in a Laminated stock. 1943 m44's are uncommon but 99.999 % of potential buyers could give a poop....Top dollar would be made from a mosin collector on gunbroker or on Gunboards WTS page.

I have four or five 1943 dated M44's in my Mosin pile....
Link Posted: 4/24/2011 5:00:16 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
It's worth whatever you can get for it... refurb Mosin prices are currently in a high state of flux.

IMOP I'd say $175 being it a 1943 dated matching # arsenal refurb in a Laminated stock. 1943 m44's are uncommon but 99.999 % of potential buyers could give a poop....Top dollar would be made from a mosin collector on gunbroker or on Gunboards WTS page.

I have four or five 1943 dated M44's in my Mosin pile....

Any you want to sell
Link Posted: 4/24/2011 5:04:43 PM EDT
[#15]
Surprised nobody else has questioned this, but are those weld marks on the forward receiver, ala "ex-sniper"? That's one thing I would want to investigate, before going any further. No, I'm not implying that they had M44 snipers. However, it would not be uncommon for Izhevsk to use a recycled receiver and if it came from a 91/30 sniper, that would be the first one I've ever seen and would change everything. Check the inside of the receiver for screws!

*ETA* Otherwise, yes, that price is too high for a mismatched, lined out/EP'd M44.
Link Posted: 4/24/2011 6:13:00 PM EDT
[#16]
Those weld marks and shitty spot-rebluing(or black sharpie marker) on top of said weld marks speak much more to a bubba'd receiver that was probably sitting in some plastic stock that was then refitted into a wooden one.

I'd steer way clear of this one.
Link Posted: 4/24/2011 6:28:13 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Those weld marks and shitty spot-rebluing(or black sharpie marker) on top of said weld marks speak much more to a bubba'd receiver that was probably sitting in some plastic stock that was then refitted into a wooden one.

I'm not saying that's impossible, but you can't possibly prove that from the pictures provided. Needs more investigation? Yes. Bubba'd? You just don't know. I've owned, examined and handled hundreds of ex-snipers and have seen MANY that look EXACTLY like that. (ETA: I've also seen many refurbs that were not ex-snipers that had similar spots to cover pitted areas. Everything from what looked like park, paint, marker or cold blue, all done by the Russians/Ukrainians.)
Link Posted: 4/24/2011 6:38:09 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Exactly.  If you're a collector and you need that rifle then it's worth the $260.  If you just need any old M44 then it's very high.
Link Posted: 4/24/2011 8:23:05 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Surprised nobody else has questioned this, but are those weld marks on the forward receiver, ala "ex-sniper"? That's one thing I would want to investigate, before going any further. No, I'm not implying that they had M44 snipers. However, it would not be uncommon for Izhevsk to use a recycled receiver and if it came from a 91/30 sniper, that would be the first one I've ever seen and would change everything. Check the inside of the receiver for screws!

*ETA* Otherwise, yes, that price is too high for a mismatched, lined out/EP'd M44.

looks like black paint, The Russians used black paint to touch up spots of weak finish during refurb to prevent rust during long term storage.

The rifle is # matching from the pics. Regardless if they used an electro-pencil or # stamps during refurb it is still a matching #'s rifle.

Link Posted: 4/24/2011 8:32:03 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm not saying that's impossible, but you can't possibly prove that from the pictures provided. Needs more investigation? Yes. Bubba'd? You just don't know. I've owned, examined and handled hundreds of ex-snipers and have seen MANY that look EXACTLY like that. (ETA: I've also seen many refurbs that were not ex-snipers that had similar spots to cover pitted areas. Everything from what looked like park, paint, marker or cold blue, all done by the Russians/Ukrainians.)

Looks too far forward on the reciever for ex-sniper and also a low wall reciever but needs more investigation. OP, look inside the reciever opposite the marks in question for any "plugs" or welding.

Link Posted: 4/24/2011 9:54:55 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Looks too far forward on the reciever for ex-sniper and also a low wall reciever but needs more investigation. OP, look inside the reciever opposite the marks in question for any "plugs" or welding.

Looks like a high wall to me and the spot under the importer's serial number is exactly where the front pin would be. It's highly unlikely, but that's probably all the more reason to look!
Link Posted: 4/25/2011 6:36:42 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Looks like a high wall to me and the spot under the importer's serial number is exactly where the front pin would be. It's highly unlikely, but that's probably all the more reason to look!

You're right. I was judging from the first pic on the reciever. The suspected pin holes drew my attention from the reciever in that pic. Mine has the pin hole a bit further back. More under the second "g" in Georgia on his reciever, but mine is an ex-PEM. Might have been a sniper made into a M44. Would be very interesting to find out for sure. Man I love Mosins.

Link Posted: 4/28/2011 4:00:03 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
$260 for a mismatched 44? LOL!!

No shit plus that fugly import mark.
Link Posted: 4/29/2011 5:03:04 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Lol.  Well, until last month, they were about $100 retail all day long, but now, they are apparently $200 from Aim Surp.
Exactly, you hit it head on. Just because AIM decides to charge $200+ for a $100 rifle doesn't mean M44's of any stature will sell for this inflated price. AIM may have paid top dollar since M44's have been sparse for dealers lately, but there will always be a group of followers that eats them up.

So, it's worth what your willing to pay, but personally, I would say maybe $130ish give or take.
+1

Link Posted: 4/29/2011 7:36:32 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Exactly, you hit it head on. Just because AIM decides to charge $200+ for a $100 rifle doesn't mean M44's of any stature will sell for this inflated price. AIM may have paid top dollar since M44's have been sparse for dealers lately, but there will always be a group of followers that eats them up.

+1

But what's that $200 buy you?  Not just the rifle, but delivery from a knowledgable company that has them, in stock, ready to go.  It's a convenience to pick up the phone and order a gun in two minutes and just be done with it.  No searching around to different gun shops, no browsing the classifieds...  just pick up the phone and buy it.

I've said it before, but I might as well repeat myself.  AIM will sell every one of those rifles at $200 and the people who buy them will be happy with their purchases.  If you don't care to be among them, then I guess it's no big deal to you, is it?
Link Posted: 4/29/2011 8:26:59 AM EDT
[#26]
Today, we often say "I should have bought one when they were $49". In five years, you'll be saying "I should have bought one when they were $200".

If you can find them for less (and I know I can, usually privately), that's great. But, when few vendors have them, like now and people are constantly asking for them, they're going to run a little more in the commercial market. As a similar example, I used to think the same thing about Savage Enfields. There was no way that I would pay more than $150 for one and it should be in excellent overall condition for that price. Well, that was a year or two ago. Check the prices, nowadays, if you can even find one in truly "excellent" condition. The $250 price tag that people were asking just months ago, that I thought was crazy, seems to be pretty damn cheap, today. And, they're not making more of them.
Link Posted: 4/29/2011 9:34:52 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Today, we often say "I should have bought one when they were $49". In five years, you'll be saying "I should have bought one when they were $200".

If you can find them for less (and I know I can, usually privately), that's great. But, when few vendors have them, like now and people are constantly asking for them, they're going to run a little more in the commercial market. As a similar example, I used to think the same thing about Savage Enfields. There was no way that I would pay more than $150 for one and it should be in excellent overall condition for that price. Well, that was a year or two ago. Check the prices, nowadays, if you can even find one in truly "excellent" condition. The $250 price tag that people were asking just months ago, that I thought was crazy, seems to be pretty damn cheap, today. And, they're not making more of them.

Yep. I bought my first Mosin Nagant carbine (a M44) for $49 at Dunham's Black Friday sale some years back.

They've never run that sale again and the days of sub-$100 carbines are gone everywhere but private sales and little out-of-the-way gun shows. I should have picked up both I saw in the last year (priced at $75 and $100, respectively)

If you want one, the price of admission has gone up.

I can also totally relate to the Savage Enfields. I, luckily, found one for $125 in pretty good condition at a small local show about five years ago. I'm still kicking myself for passing on several under $200, seeing what they're getting now.

Refurb 91/30s should be relatively inexpensive for the near future. Everything else was made in far fewer numbers and, unless a lot are found in a forgotten arsenal, the price of them will continue to rise.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top