Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/19/2009 2:37:27 PM EDT
Does anybody know the process of drifting the front sight on a M44?
Link Posted: 9/19/2009 3:01:04 PM EDT
[#1]
hammer and a punch. it will help to soak the front sight with penetrating fluid first, and i would put it on a wood block nice and secure to get a good whack at it. mine took a hell of a beating before it moved.
Link Posted: 9/19/2009 3:01:15 PM EDT
[#2]
Yes.  
I lay my rifle barrel on a soft piece of wood (cedar) that supports the barrel and the sight dovetail.  I then use a brass drift and a hammer to tap the sight over in the dovetail.  That is the best way to not damage the rifle.  If you find a place where it is dialed in and will leave in that position, stake the sight with a small cold chisel or steel punch.  That will remove some bluing so I use a little cold blue just on the scratched spot and you never see the difference from the original and the touch up.  I use a q-tip to apply the bluing.
Link Posted: 9/19/2009 3:54:05 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
hammer and a punch. it will help to soak the front sight with penetrating fluid first, and i would put it on a wood block nice and secure to get a good whack at it. mine took a hell of a beating before it moved.

I beat the snot out of a few also! A brass punch may end up bent! A good steel nail set and a piece of soft steel between the 2.

Link Posted: 9/19/2009 11:46:42 PM EDT
[#4]
I had alot of difficulty myself until the guys here reassured me that beating the sight was good to go.  Now I routinely shoot at 300 yards, easily hitting 5 gallon buckets and other pieces of debris.

I layed the rifle on a stack of shop towels and used a hammer and steel punch until it was dialed in.  Nobody was at the range to watch the show.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top