Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/19/2007 6:33:26 PM EDT
I fell into a deal I couldn't pass up. A Sears bolt action, single shot .410. It needs some help, as it's been stored in a garage for who only knows how long. For $35, I couldn't let it go. I even got a partial box of shells for it. This is now my 3rd cheapest gun. The $5 Arisaka barrelled receiver is still king; my $15 "share" in my brother's NEF single shot 12 (which has been in my sole possesion for a number of years) is 2nd, and now this guy. I have "cheap price gun syndrome"--if it is a decent gun with an itty-bitty price tag, I have to have it, no matter how weird. Help me
Link Posted: 6/19/2007 6:43:51 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 6/19/2007 6:47:08 PM EDT
[#2]
I'm right there with you pal 100 percent. I love cheap old guns.

But how is it a bolt action AND also a single shot at the same time?
Link Posted: 6/19/2007 7:10:20 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
I'm right there with you pal 100 percent. I love cheap old guns.

But how is it a bolt action AND also a single shot at the same time?

Bolt action, no magazine, either internal or detachable. So you put one in, close bolt, POP (not bang, it's a .410 after all), and then open up, extract and repeat.
Link Posted: 6/19/2007 7:13:43 PM EDT
[#4]
http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=6&f=5&t=221608

mt 80$ enfield

The rifle had a problem with the bolt head orientation rail that keeps the bolt head and extractor lined up. I welded the worn rail lip and reestablished the reliable function allignment of the bolt head.

I cut the barrel to 16and 1/2 inch and re crowned. I have put a 4x scope on it with a duplex scope reticle. The stock is hollow.  I had to cut out a portion of the bottom rigidity bolster to get the folding bolt tensioner to fit in and turn.

I cut down the forend of the stock to the action. It felt right for the concept. It was not a free floated barrel anyway.

Then I drilled a cotter pin hole in the recoil pad thru the stock for positive attachment.

Painted with three colors and used stretched steel for a mask.

To assemble the rifle you need to pull the pin and push out the cotter .
The recoil pad covers a fold out handle that will allow you to turn the bolt.
Place the stock into the receiver grommet of the enfield and turn the folding handle in the hollow of the stock, The bolt has a spring washer so you know when it is tight enough.
When the bolt is tight: fold the handle replace the cotter and pin to hold the recoil pad in place.

I have fired it and it will give a clover group at 25 yards. I need to take it out of doors for a real run up.

Here are the pics more later:

Link Posted: 6/19/2007 7:26:13 PM EDT
[#5]
alright i gotta ask, where do u guys find all these cheap guns???
Link Posted: 6/19/2007 7:36:59 PM EDT
[#6]
My local FFL is a pretty good friend. I hang out there all the time, and sometimes people just decide to off load guns. My friend doesn't have a big shop, and encourages private sales. So, I ask to talk to the potential seller at some other location, and we may or may not make a deal depending on the FFLs offers, and if mine works for the seller. On cheap stuff like this, it really isn't cost-effective for him to get involved unless he has to. Thats the way it goes sometimes.

I also had a chance to bring the little fella in and look a little more.

Marked as Follows on the barrel

Sears, Roebuck and Co
.410 Ga--3" Chamber--103. 740  (I don't think that's a serial number)

Behind that is the JC Higgins logo

I don't see a single serial # stamp on the receiver.  That means it's 1950s vintage, if I remember correctly. I may have a new another truck gun.

ETA: The web is great. I did a quick search, and the Original name/manufacturer is Marlin. It is/was a Model 59 made for JC Higgins brand in Sears. This is pretty cool.
Link Posted: 6/19/2007 8:09:23 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
I have to have it, no matter how weird. Help me

No help here.  I had to repair a Bryco .380 a co-worker gave me.  By the time I was finished it was still a Bryco, but it shot great.

I traded it off a couple of years later while making room in my safe.  I really didn't think the gunshop would take it in a trade, but he gave me $50. for it.  He immediately put a price tag on it ($75.), placed it in his glass case and it was gone two days later.
Link Posted: 6/19/2007 8:57:33 PM EDT
[#8]
I've herd of .....CPGS..... but I never herd anyone admit they had it........hope it turns out OK for you....
Link Posted: 6/19/2007 9:13:12 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
I've herd of .....CPGS..... but I never herd anyone admit they had it........hope it turns out OK for you....

The guns in my collection that are sub-$100 aren't super numerous, but if we go to the $200 and less, I have lots of them. Nothing wrong with good guns for cheap.

Like a hex-receivered 91/30 at $100
or a 91/59 at $60
or a Carcano bubba-fied for $40
or a bubba-fied Type 38 Arisaka for $45
or.... well, you get the idea. I will eventually upgrade them, or buy better examples, but sometimes they look so alone and unloved. That's what my sig line is about.
Link Posted: 6/20/2007 4:50:21 AM EDT
[#10]
$35 for a 410 ?!?!?

Yep -- I would have bought it  ! ! !

My cheapest gun was a two-dollar Turk Mauser  !   At our local gun club, during the monthly meeting, one of our Trustees would bring in a Turk Mauser every meeting (claimed he had a pallet load of them) and sell tickest for $1.00 each.  Proceeds went to the Jr.Rifle Team.  Bought two tickets -- won the Mauser.  And it shoots too  !

Does this count ? ? ? ?

And I have noticed my M-N's collection continues to grow -- almost on a weekly basis . . . . .

Link Posted: 6/20/2007 8:19:05 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=6&f=5&t=221608

mt 80$ enfield

img164.imageshack.us/img164/9646/takedownunassembledqj5.jpg

You should post this at homegunsmith.com

That is a terrific re-do.
Link Posted: 6/20/2007 8:23:31 AM EDT
[#12]
I am kicking myself for passing on a $30 bolt-action 16 gauge shotgun at the last show I was at. It was in mint shape & the seller wanted it gone at the end of the show.

Link Posted: 6/20/2007 8:28:49 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
I am kicking myself for passing on a $30 bolt-action 16 gauge shotgun at the last show I was at. It was in mint shape & the seller wanted it gone at the end of the show.

I would kick you for that
Link Posted: 6/20/2007 10:01:41 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I would kick you for that

I should be kicked for that.

Even as I was walking to the car, "I should have bought that." was on endless loop in my mind.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top