Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/23/2006 7:09:26 PM EDT
I've waited so long for this for so long from CMP and yesterday she finally arrived on my doorstep.  I opened up the box and she was wrapped in this silver bag, I pulled her out of the bag and she was flat out filthy and disgusting, she had 2 inches of thick cosmoline all over her, even all the internal parts of the bolt, inside the barrel, etc. had cosmoline it was nasty, I had to wear rubber gloves just to handle her.  

I went to Home Depot and bought 1 gallon of Boiled Linseed Oil and 1 gallon of mineral spirits.  When I got home I took apart the entire rifle down to the last roll pin and began hand picking off all the excess cosmoline as best I could, i then took the mineral spirits and gave everything a bath, let it air dry, then took a heat gun to melt out any remaining cosmoline, needless to say there was a lot left.  After that I made a 50/50 mixture of Boiled Linseed Oil and mineral spirits and hand rubbed the entire stock and handgrips to give her a beautiful finish.

I cleaned all the metal parts and then let them soak in CLP for an hour or so, then I put the rifle back together and she looked spectacular.  This whole thing took about 8 hours to do and was a major pain in the ass... I am NOT looking forward to my M1 Garand that's going to be arriving soon from CMP .  

And without further ado, the pictures:

Link Posted: 3/24/2006 10:58:09 AM EDT
[#1]
Looks like it cleaned up nicely. What is the condition of the bore?
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 12:05:57 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 3/25/2006 10:23:44 AM EDT
[#3]
Nice job.  Cleaning cosmolene can become highly addictive.  I always like it when the gun comes caked in the stuff.  It usually means that you will find good metal underneath.   If this one shoots as good as mine, you will be very happy with it.  I can break clays at 200 yards with open sites with mine.  

Who made the rifle?  What is the date on the barrel?  Serial number above 800,000 is alway good too.
Link Posted: 3/26/2006 9:52:37 AM EDT
[#4]

I am NOT looking forward to my M1 Garand that's going to be arriving soon from CMP.

Don't sweat the Garand so much as its been my experience that the Garands come with very little cosmoline. No where near the amount that totally encase the 1903 & 1903A3s.

I have a couple of 1903 & A3 rifles from the CMP and haven't even begun to clean them yet. Yours turned out nice maybe I'll get to mine soon.
Link Posted: 3/26/2006 2:28:28 PM EDT
[#5]
Nice rifle and good clean-up job.  Post a range report when you can.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top