Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/3/2006 10:38:56 PM EDT
I think I have pretty much narrowed it down that either one of these rifles is going to be my next purchase.  However each has its disadvantages and advantages for my situation.  If I was right handed, I would be getting the mosin nagant for sure without a question because ammo for it is way cheaper than the k31.  But since the k31 has superior accuracy (from what I hear from most of you on here) and its a straight pull bolt action which is more lefty friendly, It sounds pretty appealing to me..  The only thing that is holding me back is the ammo situation... Not necessarily the price, as I wont be shooting it as much as my ak/sks/22, but the availability of it.  I have never checked, but I am assuming that the only way to get ammo for a k31 is ordering milsurp on the net.. Am I right?? I know thats the way to go when it comes to buying ammunition, as it is usually cheaper.... But sometimes, if your buddy calls you and asks you to go to the range, and your running low on ammo, that can be a major crutch not being able to stop at the local sporting goods store and pick up a few boxes when you need it instantly.  

As far as mosins go, the fin ones are the most accurate?? What are those called again.. m39s?? And how is the overall finish on these guns?  And one more question, is it difficult to put a scope on a mosin nagant or a k31?  Because with the accuracy that some claim, these rifles seem more than worthy of optics.
Link Posted: 2/4/2006 12:19:56 AM EDT
[#1]
Another southpaw here.

Operating "standard" bolt actions may seem awkward at first, but practice makes perfect, as they say. Don't worry, a few times out at the range and you'll get the hang of it pretty quickly. I'm comfortable shooting my K98 and FR8 regularly. I found a straight bolt handle easier to operate with the left hand (FR8) as opposed to a bent one (K98), but it's not that much of a difference once you get used to it. I'm not trying to set any new speed records anyway... YMMV.
Link Posted: 2/4/2006 2:39:20 AM EDT
[#2]
lol  you know the answer to this already...  

what you are saying is 'which one first' Your lefty-ness is a big factor though.

K-31

buy bulk and get twice as much ammo as you need. Re order when you shoot half of it. It is the only way to go.
Link Posted: 2/4/2006 5:16:42 AM EDT
[#3]
yep m39's are the accurate mosins but will cost you about the same as 2 k31's. i have an S&K mount en route for one of my m39's that replaces the rear sight and requires no gunsmith work. you do need to use a ler/scout style scope though. i havn't shot any of my m39's yet but i understand they had to be under 1.5" at 150 meters for the finns to put them into service and thats with open sights !!
Link Posted: 2/4/2006 8:09:43 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
yep m39's are the accurate mosins but will cost you about the same as 2 k31's. i have an S&K mount en route for one of my m39's that replaces the rear sight and requires no gunsmith work. you do need to use a ler/scout style scope though. i havn't shot any of my m39's yet but i understand they had to be under 1.5" at 150 meters for the finns to put them into service and thats with open sights !!

How much do the m39's run???  Also, what is the overall condition of them..  And can you give me a link for that scope, that would be greatly appreciated.
Link Posted: 2/4/2006 8:42:55 AM EDT
[#5]
link for the mount

http://www.scopemounts.com/

it retails for around $70 but if you have a license it can be had for $52 at brownells and they include the rings. there are also darrells mounts for $65 less the rings.

here is a link to m39's. they have some very nice ones for $189 and $199.

http://www.gunsnammo.com/

sorry i dont know how to make the links live
Link Posted: 2/4/2006 8:44:27 AM EDT
[#6]
oh yeah the best thing about buying from gunsnammo is that they will send it straight to your front porch - no ffl fee's to deal with. all you pay for is the rifle + shipping......
Link Posted: 2/4/2006 8:53:48 AM EDT
[#7]
Im gonna try to get one at the local gunshow as far as the actual rifle goes, think I will have any luck??? I wanna do it that way so I can handpick it and get one in the best possible shape that I can.  And how about this mount, for 25.99.. And the long eye relief one for 59 bucks.
www.tickbitesupply.com/mos.html

Are these items junk or a pretty good deal??

Here is the description for the mounts.. I think what they are trying to say is that both require no drilling or tapping, the first one is for the russian rifles and the second one is for the finnish ones.  I hope thats they mean at least.

Mosin Scope

Mosin Rear Site Scout Scope Mount
What a new find we have for you! Want to mount a scope to your Mosin, but don't want to drill and tap. This new mount solves the problem and you do not need a turned down bolt for it to work! Our M44 and M38 carbine Mount System replaces the rear site. Just remove the rear sight and sight spring and this mount installs in the cavity that housed the rear leaf sight! Mount can be adjusted for windage. This mount requires one of our Long Eye Relief scopes and a set of our RGWM25L2 rings and you are in business! (Picture shows mount installed on a stripped Mosin so you can see how it mounts) See Long Eye relief scopes just above and rings are just below! (Note: This mount only works on carbines with the short 2 3/8" long 1000 meter graduated rear site Models M44, M38, Chinese type 53, will NOT work on the long 3 3/8" 2000m graduated sites on the M91, M91/30, M91/59, Finnish rifles)
   RI-SCO-M44SCOUT $25.99  

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Scout mount System for the M91, M91/30, M91/59 Mosin Nagant Rifles! Fits rifles with the 3 3/8" 2000M Graduated Rear Site! Same specs as our carbine mount above!
   RI-SCO-M91SCOUT $25.99

OH AND THE RINGS ARE SOLD SEPERATELY HERE FOR 12.99.
Link Posted: 2/4/2006 9:10:17 AM EDT
[#8]
I think thats the way to go though for a scope, I calculated the rings, the mount, and the scope and it will be about 130 with shipping included... If its the same or similar quality of what you posted, then I think its a better deal.
Link Posted: 2/4/2006 9:31:23 AM EDT
[#9]
The follower (bolt) on the K31 can be replaced with a left-handed version.

Check out this thread.  Specifically, pay attention to StMarieSwissProducts post.

p083.ezboard.com/ftheswissriflesdotcommessageboardfrm8.showMessage?topicID=3583.topic

Link Posted: 2/4/2006 10:04:00 AM EDT
[#10]
the s&k ones that i posted along with the darrel mount are 2 of the best non-smithing mounts in the industry. ive seen some reports of stripped out threads on the cheap ones, dont know if they were the ones your looking at. the one your looking at is $26 + $13 for the rings. for another $11 you can have the best in the business and have no worries at all.
Link Posted: 2/4/2006 3:23:04 PM EDT
[#11]
+1 for Cavalry Jims post for the K31. Plus, as far as the ammo, if you reload, you can buy .284 brass, fully resize with 7.5 Swiss dies, and shoot. Use .308 bullets of your choice. Greg
Link Posted: 2/4/2006 4:34:14 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 2/4/2006 4:43:06 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 2/4/2006 5:17:14 PM EDT
[#14]
Here you go,

Link Posted: 2/4/2006 5:43:03 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 2/4/2006 7:45:36 PM EDT
[#16]
I was kinda neutral about the subject a few months ago, then I checked out a bunch of surplus rifles and the K31 really is the best one out there (foreign bolt action).  They are made much better than any soviet rifle, much higher standards and with a beautiful finish.  Also, if you care about $, I really think the k31 is going to jump much higher than the m38 in price in a few years.  I've seen rifles, 5 or 6 years ago sell for $99 which today are going for $300-$400.  I'll bet the k31 will be at $400 in 5 years from now.
Link Posted: 2/4/2006 8:38:35 PM EDT
[#17]
as for ammo wolf is selling a brass cassed sweed now.
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 4:53:43 AM EDT
[#18]
Get the K31.  It is remarkably accurate.  
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 8:11:49 AM EDT
[#19]
I got a Mosin first, and love it.  I just icked up a K31 which I haven't shot yet, but can't wait.  I think both are a good addition to the collection.  
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 10:04:21 PM EDT
[#20]
If berea show in march has k31s, I am definately going to buy one... Which I really hope they do because I already ordered 180 rounds of k31 ammo.  And I dont even own a k31 yet, but thats how sure I am that I want a k31 now... With groupings like that, how could I turn it down, itd be stupid.  And I thought about the expensive ammo, and I realized.. its not like I am going to be shooting it as much as my ak, sks, or 22.  I think it was posted somewhere already, but is there any options for optics on a k31 without permanently modifying the rifle or requiring a gunsmith? A side mount is probably out of the question because it probably will only go on one side, and I am a lefty so.. I am screwed for a side mount.  And I would also like to know how much cheaper the wolf is over the swiss match grade and where you can buy it at.  I just ordered 180 rounds of the swiss non-corrosive match grade mil-surp 1978 for $65.95.  Will the wolf gold line be cheaper than this?

And another question is how much do you think I will pay for the best k31 they have available?  I am not wishing to spend more than 200 though... do you think I could get an awesome rifle cheaper than that or at that price?  I know someone said that the really nice ones go for about 150...
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 5:01:20 AM EDT
[#21]
Keep in mind also that, if you really need to, you can get ammo at Dunham's.

It is $1 a round there, though, which is quite steep for mil-surp ammo....
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top