Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/4/2005 9:58:02 PM EDT
Yesterday I found a SWEET Commercial 98 in .270 .
This thing has the Butter Knife Bolt handle .
set triggers , Octagon to rd Barrel ? Top rib integral w/ barrel
A lite colored piece Burl Walnut ........

I havent found much on the net about it , "BohIer  Stahl "

"Waffen DSCHULNIGG Salsburg Austria

Thanks for ANY info on it .

I got it for less than $500............................................

It just yesterday "came out" in a pawn shop I happened to be the first one to see it . I talked to the the guy he said he thought it's worth that 490 . Long story short I bought it on the spot . To be in the right place at the right time ....and have the cash .
Link Posted: 10/5/2005 4:55:05 PM EDT
[#1]
nice find.  i was looking at an ealy 50s steyr in .270 with the butter knife bolt handle last week.  european bolta actions seem sleek compared to alot of american made stuff.  unfortunately i had to pas on the $1200 tag.  can you post some pics of your find?
Link Posted: 10/5/2005 5:41:59 PM EDT
[#2]
I'd love to ...but no camera .

Exactly what you said about "sleekness" . This one has a long Mauser action But that butterknife handle fits flat to the gun (<1/8") and nearly straight down . The thing "carries" very well around the house (only got it yesterday .)

I'm really glad I found one B4 some bonehead went and had it tapped for scope . SO it is an "express"sight set up only . Which is why it handles so well IMO .

The more I look at this thing the more I am impressed , fit , finish . I'm a "700" guy and always thought of Mausers as kind of Klunky . For a full size rifle 24" tube , Long action Mauser . It seems very "handy" .

BTW bore was dark but it too cleaned shiny , The bolt face shows no wear . I think it hardly been fired . RL
Link Posted: 10/6/2005 8:56:19 AM EDT
[#3]
It's a shame its in .270 as opposed to a metric caliber (7x57, 6.5x57, 8x57 or 8x60, or even 9.3x57 or 9.3x62).

I would not shoot full power .270 handloads in it.

Is it set up for claw mounts?

I am still kicking myself for passing on a similar gun for 450 or 475 from the used rack of a gun store.  Guild mauser (known maker), based on a military action, half octogon barrel, express sights and claw mounts, double set trigger, thin trim little stock, etc.

Link Posted: 10/6/2005 4:45:31 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Why not? The Mauser action is the strongest action made.
Jim
Link Posted: 10/7/2005 5:02:41 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
It's a shame its in .270 as opposed to a metric caliber (7x57, 6.5x57, 8x57 or 8x60, or even 9.3x57 or 9.3x62).

Is it set up for claw mounts?

I am still kicking myself for passing on a similar gun for 450 or 475 from the used rack of a gun store.  Guild mauser (known maker), based on a military action, half octogon barrel, express sights and claw mounts, double set trigger, thin trim little stock, etc.

You know I'm ticked with it being so cool quality and prety to look at AND being a 98 Mauser . It is my intention to handload for it since I've never owned a 270 B4 .

I CERTAINLY will not abuse it , but I will probably end up a grian or two under Max.

Plus Since I'm a Veg. it won't go hunting AND it isn't a Target Rifle (but the Bead and V are Fine)
Right now I dont know where to keep it as my safe is full mosyly with black stuff and "everything else" . I dont want my new Pal hanging w/ that crowd .
Link Posted: 10/8/2005 8:39:46 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Why not? The Mauser action is the strongest action made.
Jim

they are pretty strong, the strongest I've heard being the Arisakas, those things are nuts.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top