Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/26/2005 5:51:21 PM EDT
I'm thinking about getting a C&R license and I'm a little confused.  I understand it's not to be used for a "business" and only in an individual/collector capacity.  And I get the part that you have to log guns in when acquired and after you "dispose" of them.  

What's confusing me is that when most people "dispose" of a gun, there is some type of monetary transaction involved.  If no money, at least another firearm in trade.  If I "dispose" a C&R weapon to a friend and get a little cash for it, am I considered a business? Or am I still acting in the individual/collector capacity?  Any help would be appreciated.  Thanks.
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 8:51:27 PM EDT
[#1]
If you only occassionally dispose of a firearm, it's ok. If you do it a lot, the BATF will scrutinize your "collecting" more intensely. There is no hard established number of transactions by the BATF as to how many is too many per year.

Personally, I figure as long as my collection gets keeps getting bigger there's no reason to worry.
Link Posted: 9/27/2005 3:52:48 AM EDT
[#2]
So does that mean I must buy at least 1 C&R firearm otherwise the ATF will think it is suspicious my logbook is empty?
Link Posted: 9/27/2005 4:11:10 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
So does that mean I must buy at least 1 C&R firearm otherwise the ATF will think it is suspicious my logbook is empty?

That's a good question too.  Any answers from the more experienced folks? Thanks.
Link Posted: 9/27/2005 5:53:38 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Quoted:

That's a good question too.  Any answers from the more experienced folks? Thanks.

No reason for them to be. You never disposed of anything because you never bought anything. I know a few people who have had a C&R for many years only to get discounts on supplies and never bought a C&R firearm.
Link Posted: 9/27/2005 7:13:50 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

No reason for them to be. You never disposed of anything because you never bought anything. I know a few people who have had a C&R for many years only to get discounts on supplies and never bought a C&R firearm.

You can get discounts on supplies??!!  How do you go about getting it and from whom?  I know you need the license first though.  Thanks for answering the question about the empty log book.
Link Posted: 9/27/2005 7:36:17 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:

You can get discounts on supplies??!!  How do you go about getting it and from whom?  I know you need the license first though.  Thanks for answering the question about the empty log book.

Brownells, Midway, Graf & Sons. I'm sure there are others. Just send them a signed COPY of your license and register on their website.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top