Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/1/2005 8:22:04 PM EDT
In case anyone is interested.  I got an 03a3 from the CMP.  Those two groove barrels are wild.  The lands are as wide as the grooves.  It was fun to clean.  I like it alot.  I think I'd like a scant or C stock more, but it's not too bad.  I wonder if I could get a scant stock from the CMP.  I'll have to check.

Here's some pics:

it may not have the mystique of the foreign bolts, but sure cleans up good.

Barrel is dated 9-43 all remington parts except for the stock.  RIA, as yo can see.
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 8:26:55 PM EDT
[#1]
Those 2 groove barrels usually shoot great.
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 9:44:48 AM EDT
[#2]
Just wait until you shoot it.  It should be a tack driver.  The two groove barrels seem to be just as accurate as the barrels with 4 grooves.  These are great rifles.  My father-in-law was a Maarine from 1939 to 1948.  When he saw my '03 Springfield he darn near cried.  Fondled it for a long time.   Most Marines preferred these 03A3's over the M1 Garand.
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 10:41:04 AM EDT
[#3]
Why would you want a scant (aka the warthog) stock? Ugly...and I don't believe O3A3's were ever originally stocked with them....I could be wrong, I'll have to check....
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 12:29:48 PM EDT
[#4]
I agree with you the scant is ugly.  But it seems a c or scant would be easier to handle in the prone position.  I've been handling it the way it is and I'm getting more used to it.  If you don't wrap your hand like a baseball bat and leave a little room, it's more manageable.  It's actually very handy standing and kneeling.  Maybe I'll leave it.  I was debating about a Bsquare mount with a scope but I'm going to shoot it with the irons for awhile and maybe I won't find it lacking.  That thin front sight seems like it would aid in accuracy.  Either way, I can't wait to shoot it.  I'll give a range report.  But I have to wait til next week.  I'm actually going to Alabama this weekend.  Thanks for the input guys.
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 12:33:03 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Just wait until you shoot it.  It should be a tack driver.  The two groove barrels seem to be just as accurate as the barrels with 4 grooves.  These are great rifles.  My father-in-law was a Maarine from 1939 to 1948.  When he saw my '03 Springfield he darn near cried.  Fondled it for a long time.   Most Marines preferred these 03A3's over the M1 Garand.

There's something about working that bolt and ripping the brass out.  It's like your more at one with the rifle, I think.  Compared to one that does all the work for you.  I could see why the marines were slow to adopt the Garand.  There's way less parts and I know the Garand is faster but in trained hands, it seems like this woudn't be all that slow either.  Stripper clips.  You can start out with 6 rounds.  I have a feeling I'm going to really like shooting it.
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 4:44:30 PM EDT
[#6]
Nice clear deep marks on the stock.

A Great prize you have there.
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 6:19:39 PM EDT
[#7]
MY father-in-law was on a Marine rifle team before WWII.  While stationed at Gitmo in 1940 he was involved in testing both  the Garand and the Johnson.  When shooting 10 rounds for speed and accuracy, he could actually out shoot the Garand with his 03A3 Springfield.  The Johnson was an impressive rifle and that was their actual recomendation.  It was faster than the Garand, used stripper clips to load the internal magazine and could be loaded before the magazine was empty.  He could not ou tshoot the Johnson.  The sticking point on the Garand was loading the clip.  You just cannot do it easily in the prone position.   Many Old Corps Marines initially refused the Garand and were literallly ordered to surrender them to be issued Garands.  To him the Springfield was an extension of his right arm.  

The Garand is a fine rifle and I will never part with mine willingly, but I would love to get my hands on a Johnson.   There are only about 4,000 reasons why I don't have one.   These rifles have really caught on with collector.  
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 12:15:59 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
MY father-in-law was on a Marine rifle team before WWII.  While stationed at Gitmo in 1940 he was involved in testing both  the Garand and the Johnson.  When shooting 10 rounds for speed and accuracy, he could actually out shoot the Garand with his 03A3 Springfield.  The Johnson was an impressive rifle and that was their actual recomendation.  It was faster than the Garand, used stripper clips to load the internal magazine and could be loaded before the magazine was empty.  He could not ou tshoot the Johnson.  The sticking point on the Garand was loading the clip.  You just cannot do it easily in the prone position.   Many Old Corps Marines initially refused the Garand and were literallly ordered to surrender them to be issued Garands.  To him the Springfield was an extension of his right arm.  

The Garand is a fine rifle and I will never part with mine willingly, but I would love to get my hands on a Johnson.   There are only about 4,000 reasons why I don't have one.   These rifles have really caught on with collector.  

I got to shoot mine today!!!!!  If you learn to rack that bolt quick, it's not that slow.  It is a fine rife.  I did a couple strings of rapid at 25 yards, kneeling and standing and that bolt is silky smooth.  It's so nice to shoot.  Even though it's handier, and lighter than the garand, I don't find the recoil horribly worse.  It's more, but not enough that you can't stand it.  Here's my results:

That second target has two 5 shot groups, one is about 4-1/2" and the other is a little more.  I was more excited about the first target.  The reason I fit two groups on there is because it shoots 5".  I cut the bull in half and I got the high group, then I used 6 oclock and got the lower group.  I'm not  sure what I'm going to do about it yet.  I think I can order a replacement.

Man, that was fun.

edited for bad grammer **  9-6
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 8:05:59 AM EDT
[#9]
I just had my 03A3 out at the range for the first time yesterday myself.  Loved it!!  3 inch group at 100 yards (which is great for me) with Korean surplus ammo.  The action is MUCH smoother than my K98.  Recoil was a lot less than I anticipated as well.  

By far my favorite bolt gun.
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 3:07:00 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
I just had my 03A3 out at the range for the first time yesterday myself.  Loved it!!  3 inch group at 100 yards (which is great for me) with Korean surplus ammo.  The action is MUCH smoother than my K98.  Recoil was a lot less than I anticipated as well.  

By far my favorite bolt gun.

I didn't put it on there but my M2 ball was Lake City from the CMP.  I never shot the Korean.  The cmp has a bunch of greek m2 now also.  

I totally agree with you about the smoothness.  It's smooooooth.  I know some will cringe but I think I'm going to buy that B square mount and put a scope on it.  It seems like this rifle has potential for very good accuracy.  From what I've read, even the sniper rifles that remington made still used the 2 groove barrels as well as 4.  Is yours a Remington????  I dont think the Smith Corona's used the 2 groove.  Mine  has it though.   I don't want to tap the receiver, but that B square mount just used the mag cut off channel somehow.  Did you ever see one of those?  I don't know if it'll be solid or not but I think it's worth a try.  Thanks for the response.
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 10:19:03 AM EDT
[#11]
Can't speak to the mount as I've never seen/used one.

Mine is a 9-43 2 groove RA barrel.  Everything is made by Remington.  Picked it out at the CMP North Store last November, right before Thanksgiving.  Got lucky and got an "A" front sight post so it doesn't even shoot high at 100 yards with the rear sight bottomed out.  
Link Posted: 9/9/2005 9:00:33 PM EDT
[#12]
My 1903A3 is the second from the left, next to my M1. The others are a MN 91/30, K98k, No4 MK1 and K31. The '03A3 is definitely a tack driver. I was planning on going to the range tomorrow and do some handgun shooting, think I might have to take the 03A3 along too.

And this is a target from the 100yd line. Shot with the '03A3 from a rest using open sights, 150gr FMJ and 47.0gr of IMR-4895.

Link Posted: 9/10/2005 5:05:53 AM EDT
[#13]
Wow, you got your shooting position down.  I have a hard time staying consistent.  Nice group!!!!  They're a joy to shoot.
Link Posted: 9/12/2005 2:46:42 PM EDT
[#14]
The boxed RIA - EB is a rebuild/inspection mark. It doesn't denote an RIA stock. Look behind and around the rear stock bolt. That's where the original inspection stamps were placed. The stocks still looks pretty meaty so if they're there they should stand out pretty well. If there's a big "K" in the magazine cutoff slot, that's a Keystone replacement stock.
Link Posted: 9/12/2005 2:54:03 PM EDT
[#15]
I got one in my safe, but it's a Smith Corona.  Dad bought it in the 60's I think.  He added an aftermarket trigger and stock.  I wish I knew a good place to get parts to restore it to its USGI condition.  Suggestions???
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 5:09:11 AM EDT
[#16]
I agree with all the great things said above...I'll only add that once you find out what personal load or commercial load works best in your rifle, you will easily shoot a 1 1/2" group at 100 yds.  These rifles are as good as most commercial models any day of the week.  I have used '03 's and 03-A3's for over 40 years deer hunting...from my dad's sproter way back in the early '60s to my latest Greek return 03...and they are all great.
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 7:37:32 PM EDT
[#17]
Owned one for 30 years,  Worked up a load that is compatable with the mil sights... ( I M R  4350 powder and 180 gr Nosler Boat Tail bullets. I bore seat the bullet, then back it off a scooch. Is good out to 500 yds, ( that is the longest range i can find to shoot at ). Also, i tried some Remington Accelerators ( 30-06 with .22 cal sabot bullet) 3 shots off sand bag @ 100 yds cover with a dime, Only adjustment was windage. Just some friendly advise, DONT SCRUB THE BARRELL WITH ANY AMMOINA PRODUCTS, like Sweets. More fine guns are ruined from OVER cleaning, than shooting. Never use a brass or steel cleaning brush.
blade409
Link Posted: 9/18/2005 8:22:55 PM EDT
[#18]
I cleaned it when I first got it with a brush and hoppes.  But, after that it's a bore snake.  Thanks for the advice.  Hey gewamser, I might use mine for deer hunting this year also.  It's either that, the Garand, the AR, or the Carbine.  But I think the O6 with the right bullet is the deadliest.  Ballistic tips.  But that's just my opinion.  Although I'd use any of them under the right parameters.
Link Posted: 9/18/2005 8:31:12 PM EDT
[#19]
Hey I got this beautiful scoped Remington Model 7 sporter...and somehow always end up toting the '03 around! Whats wrong with me? ;)
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 1:37:07 PM EDT
[#20]
Blade409
How can you hurt a steel barrel with a brass brush?  I use Sweets on all my weapons and don't have any problems.  How do you get the copper out of you don't use an ammoina based product?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top