Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/20/2005 10:31:43 PM EDT
Just bought my son a 98 Mauser dated 1940 with german eagles intact.   Anyhow I'd like to find info on the rifle such as basic disassembly and such.   Any good places to find mauser info?
Link Posted: 7/20/2005 10:34:00 PM EDT
[#1]
There's a couple of Mauser forums on Gunboards.  Milsurpshooters.net has some also.

Dennis Jenkins

Quoted:
Just bought my son a 98 Mauser dated 1940 with german eagles intact.   Anyhow I'd like to find info on the rifle such as basic disassembly and such.   Any good places to find mauser info?

Link Posted: 7/20/2005 11:01:58 PM EDT
[#2]
Any 8mm I should steer clear of?   I'm assuming assuming it's 8mm as the marking on the barrel was 7,9 or something to that effect.   It's my first purchase of a surplus rifle so take it easy on the noob here.

I ordered a can of the linked 8mm that's being sold on sportsmansguide  ( want an 8mm setup for a 1919 anyhow )  Any info on this ammo?  www.sportsmansguide.com/cb/cb.asp?a=198082
Link Posted: 7/20/2005 11:08:15 PM EDT
[#3]
I've had prettty good luck with the Romanian stuff in mine, used some Turk before that.....it was OK, but I've seen mixed reports.
Where did you pick it up? And tell him congrats for me! Will you be my dad too?
Link Posted: 7/20/2005 11:54:23 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
I've had prettty good luck with the Romanian stuff in mine, used some Turk before that.....it was OK, but I've seen mixed reports.
Where did you pick it up? And tell him congrats for me! Will you be my dad too?

Gun broker on 82nd in clackamas.   I'm still waiting for the call that it's been cleared to pick up.  
Link Posted: 7/21/2005 12:00:16 AM EDT
[#5]
Cool.......if you get a hankering to shoot it before your internet order shows up, Phoenix armory in OC usually has some surplus 8mm in stock.
Did you get my e-mail about the PR stuff?
Link Posted: 7/21/2005 12:21:41 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Cool.......if you get a hankering to shoot it before your internet order shows up, Phoenix armory in OC usually has some surplus 8mm in stock.
Did you get my e-mail about the PR stuff?

I did, not much info on the course of fire though.   Can you shed any light on it?   I'd like to get my son to shooting it as some similar distances so he can at least be confident about shooting it.    Also positions they shoot from would help.   I've got zero mauser time so I think we'll have to head for browns camp to burn some of that ammo in the next couple weeks.  
Link Posted: 7/21/2005 6:51:04 AM EDT
[#7]
The last two classic matches we had were no longer than 150yds........keep them short because we're shooting at paper, and it's time consuming to score and tape when you gotta run 1/2 a mile
Most matches consist of 4 stages, with various scenarios each, scored for time and accuracy. It is very INFORMAL.....don't be afraid to show up and come in last, no one cares, we're happy just to have you out there. Even with the "informalness", it is one of the safest group shooting events I've participated in, VERY strict when in comes to safety procedures, as it should be.
As an example of the "classic" match, one stage we had last year was an "Enemy at the gates" scene. If you've seen the movie, remember the 1st part where they're in the fountain picking off the Germans? The stage was set up with 6 numbered targets representing the corisponding Germans, through a barricade, you had to shoot them, in order of the movie scene, and get head shots. It was too cool .
My advice, at least show up to one and check it out, you'll either love it or hate it. I'd say that 99 percent of my buddies loved it though...

Hope to see you there,
thanks...Bill
Link Posted: 7/21/2005 8:01:14 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 7/22/2005 2:32:08 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 7/30/2005 3:04:18 AM EDT
[#10]
tag
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 7:17:48 AM EDT
[#11]
Have you been to this site yet?

battlerifles.ambackforum.com/
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 8:40:33 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
www.surplusrifle.com/

+1, the best I've found.

enjoy your mauser (your son anyway).  Stay away from old surplus if possible, a lot of it, especially the spanish crap, will jam in the chamber.  The newer the surplus usually the better (excluding Yugo of course )
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 1:30:11 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:
www.surplusrifle.com/

+1, the best I've found.

enjoy your mauser (your son anyway).  Stay away from old surplus if possible, a lot of it, especially the spanish crap, will jam in the chamber.  The newer the surplus usually the better (excluding Yugo of course )

I've had alot of problems with the equadorian surplus, I had to throw out around 300 out of 1000 because it was either corroded/ damaged or the primer wouldn't go off, but the romanian looks promising with the laquer case, but I havent seen anywhere that has it in stock except aim surplus, but they seem like too much of a hassle, I've seen some from inter ordinance but they are out of stock.
Link Posted: 8/4/2005 4:19:20 PM EDT
[#14]
I bought some of the linked brass case stuff from sportsmansguide.   I wanted the links and am looking for an 8mm kit for the 1919 anyhow.    Anyone tried that stuff?   I think it's romanian 196gr stuff.    Neat round, I'm suprised it never found acceptance as a sporting cartridge.   Seems it would be a better medium game round than the 30-06.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top