Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/7/2004 11:54:32 AM EDT
Just finished half ass cleaning my new Enfield. However up at the top of the reciever right next to the markings on the left hand side is three holes drilled right ontop of each other all the way threw... WTF? Is this to release gas or something, or some numbskull in India this this and now my rifle is worthless (cant fire?).

Help!
Link Posted: 10/7/2004 2:27:12 PM EDT
[#1]
That's normal boss, and yes, it is to let gas escape in the event of a catastrophic failure.  The idea is to keep a piece of the bolt from flying back through your head.

-White Horse
Link Posted: 10/7/2004 2:32:28 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 10/7/2004 6:10:11 PM EDT
[#3]
How... serously, How is an Enfield a Mauser clone? I see no relation other than they both are bolt action.

Rifle fires great by the way, however I need to do some serious screwing with the sights, shooting rather low and the rear notch is almost non-existant.
Link Posted: 10/7/2004 10:32:55 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
As a Mauser clone, it should have this.

By Mauser clone, I think he means that they copied the Mauser features like a barrel, trigger and wood.

Perhaps you're thinking of the P14/17 action? It is a derivative of the Mauser. The Lee Metford line of rifles, which evolved into the No1 & No4 actions, was deliberately, and indepentantly developed with no ties or similarity to the Mauser action, tho many rifles of the day were.
Link Posted: 10/8/2004 3:03:07 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 10/8/2004 11:33:20 AM EDT
[#6]
Do these holes enter the chamber? Or do they come through the other side just behind the chamber?

DO NOT SHOOT the gun if the holes enter the chamber!

If the holes are behind the chamber then they are the vent holes the others have stated.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top