Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/10/2003 4:26:28 PM EDT
Ok, I'm starting to think a CandR FFL could be a lot of fun.  I'm a relative newbie over at the Build your Own, AR board, and I thought I'd ask some questions here too.  Please forgive my silly questions, but I only recently discovered that the CandR exists!

I've played around on Cruffler.com and I've got a few questions about it.  For starters, if I get one, does this allow for a C&R Dealer to send firearms directly to me?  Including pistols?  No more county permit hassles?  I've seen a lot of neat old pistols (while shopping for AR parts in ShotgunNews), that are relatively cheap, but it's so hard to get a pistol permit in Durham County that I hate to "waste" a permit.  (30 days and 2 notarized character references!)  And then adding 35 bucks for an FFL to recieve it would often add 25% to the price of the pistol.  And C&R classified weapons are fully functional?  

Also, right now I'm a graduate student, and my wife and I live in an apartment.  Knowing that my "permanant address" changes almost once every 1 to 2 years, how difficult is it to change the address on a CRFFL?  Would it be practical?  I doubt I'd have too much trouble getting the FFL other than my address has changed a lot while in school.  I don't even have any speeding tickets.  

Then, what are the down sides to having a CandR?  How long is the FFL good for?  Is it renewed annually?  

Thanks in advance, and again please forgive the 'silly' questions.
Link Posted: 10/10/2003 7:23:51 PM EDT
[#1]
I can't address the state law where you are as far a C&R handgun goes. But generally speaking C&R long guns can be shipped direct to you - even here in Cali (as long as they don't meet the description of an AW)

I haven't had my C&R long enough to know about the address change part, haven't moved yet. They are good for 3 years and only costs $30 and two postage stamps.

Is it worth getting a C&R? Absolutely! Even if you don't end up getting many C&R firearms, if you send a signed in ink copy of your C&R license to Brownells and Midway you will get dealer prices on most items they sell. I reload a lot and mine has already paid for itself many times over just on reloading supplies.

The down side? You will want to spend more money than you have on all the cool C&R firearms out there.
Link Posted: 10/11/2003 5:58:36 AM EDT
[#2]
C&Rs are kewl, now for a few answers,

if I get one, does this allow for a C&R Dealer to send firearms directly to me?

It does for me here in the state of missouri

but it's so hard to get a pistol permit in Durham County that I hate to "waste" a permit.

You may no longer need a local permit once you get your C&R, check into it.

And C&R classified weapons are fully functional?

Depends, everyone I have bought has been but you can also buy non-functioning ones if you want. If you want to know if a C&R weapon is allowed to be functional, yes, by all means, I shoot C&Rs regularly.

how difficult is it to change the address on a CRFFL? Would it be practical?

Couldn't tell you, I have never done it but it looks to be rather simple. And yes, keep your license and put in a change of address if you move. C&Rs are very addictive.

what are the down sides to having a CandR

Loss of income due to spending all your money on really kewl toys.
Actually the only downside is keeping up your bound book and having to know a few more laws concerning guns.
Ask anyone who has/had a C&R, I will bet the near unanimous response will be along the lines of loving having a license but end up spending far too much money with it. Most I know would't give it up without a fight.
Good luck and enjoy, be sure to keep us updated on your purchases.
Link Posted: 10/11/2003 6:28:26 AM EDT
[#3]
Wolfie

Having a C&R does not exempt you from local or state laws. For example, in CA, all C&R sales still need to go through an ffl with all the attendant waiting periods and fees. For your area, you'll have to check. Other C&R holders in your area are a good resource.
Link Posted: 10/12/2003 5:48:47 PM EDT
[#4]
Thanks for all of the responses.  I don't know any local C&R holders, but there are several local stores that deal with C&R's.  I'll give the Gun Room in Mebane a call on monday.  This could be an awful lot of fun.  NC gun laws, as a rule, seem to be fairly sensible.  Although, I grew up in MI and while MI's carry/transport laws were far more strict, it was a lot less of a hassle to get a pistol permit.  Here it's the opposite.  My county just has particularly awful requirements for pistol permits.  The local sherrif is VERY anit-gun.  

Thanks again.  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top