Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/11/2022 3:53:22 PM EDT
Hello all,  I have an extra upper receiver that I would like to dedicate to 22lr.

Do you have any recommendations on which kits to use and which kits to stay away from.

I am unsure what is needed, the only thing I know is I would like it to be a 4.5” barrel.

Thank you in advance.
Link Posted: 5/11/2022 3:55:31 PM EDT
[#1]
Cmmg or right to bear
Link Posted: 5/11/2022 4:11:51 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Cmmg or right to bear
View Quote

So this KIT is gtg?

Apart from magazines and ammo, is there anything else that you would recommend with it?
Link Posted: 5/11/2022 4:24:09 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Cmmg or right to bear
View Quote

Yep, that right there.

Bummer they jacked the price way up..cheaper to just buy a completed upper now.
Link Posted: 5/11/2022 4:41:41 PM EDT
[#4]
Apologies for high jacking the thread, does the CMMG & RTB .22 Bolt Groups use the same type of magazines?
Are the magazines compatible with both conversion units?
Link Posted: 5/11/2022 5:04:30 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Apologies for high jacking the thread, does the CMMG & RTB .22 Bolt Groups use the same type of magazines?
Are the magazines compatible with both conversion units?
View Quote

Yes, CMMG and RTB are same same on it all.  

Link Posted: 5/11/2022 6:06:54 PM EDT
[#6]
I used the Bonnie Packer mag adaptor so I can use 15-22 mags.  Cheaper than the CMMG and easier to find.
Link Posted: 5/11/2022 6:22:03 PM EDT
[#7]
Do I need to keep the buffer and buffer spring in order to use these kits?
Link Posted: 5/11/2022 6:38:19 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Do I need to keep the buffer and buffer spring in order to use these kits?
View Quote

I have a CMMG kit with an AGP folding stock as a dedicated.22 SBR. No spring or buffer required.

Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/11/2022 6:42:49 PM EDT
[#9]

That’s cool!
Link Posted: 5/11/2022 7:33:20 PM EDT
[#10]
you can also use these mags

https://www.blackdogmachinellc.net/AR15.22PRODUCTS.aspx
Link Posted: 5/11/2022 7:52:54 PM EDT
[#11]
Take it apart and smooth/polish the rails that the bolt rides on. All of mine have worked flawlessly after polishing.
Link Posted: 5/12/2022 10:39:12 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Take it apart and smooth/polish the rails that the bolt rides on. All of mine have worked flawlessly after polishing.
View Quote

I did that on the first several that I bought (beginning in April, 2010) as the milling marks were rather prominent.  I would also smooth out the feed ramp on the chamber adapter with a whet stone.  But the last conversion that I bought (October, 2018) was markedly more smoothly milled, and it has worked perfectly with no added touches on my part.

MHO, YMMV, etc.  Be well.
Link Posted: 5/12/2022 11:16:53 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

That’s cool!
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

Thanks. I use the better mag/ready mag adapter, so I can use Smith and Wesson mags. And I also use a McFadden Mag loader to avoid rim lock, and I can’t say enough about this mag  loader!  Mine does not have a buffer tube spring and buffer, but it does have a little hex nut that puts forward pressure on the CMMG 22 kit to keep it in place. Others who have buffers and Springs often use a plug of some sort to put extra pressure forward on the CMMG kit to keep it from moving as that has caused problems with people too.
Link Posted: 5/12/2022 11:58:29 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Thanks. I use the better mag/ready mag adapter, so I can use Smith and Wesson mags. And I also use a McFadden Mag loader to avoid rim lock, and I can’t say enough about this mag  loader!  Mine does not have a buffer tube spring and buffer, but it does have a little hex nut that puts forward pressure on the CMMG 22 kit to keep it in place. Others who have buffers and Springs often use a plug of some sort to put extra pressure forward on the CMMG kit to keep it from moving as that has caused problems with people too.
View Quote

Thank you for that, would you be able to post a couple pics of that please?

It’s hard to get an idea of a lot of things when you don’t use the majority of social media…
Link Posted: 5/12/2022 9:42:05 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

It’s hard to get an idea of a lot of things when you don’t use the majority of social media…
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Here’s the back of the receiver. A hex screw is kinda visible in the middle hole.
Attachment Attached File

Here is a pic of the pressure plug. You simply insert it into your buffer tube. It puts forward pressure onto the CMMG kit.
Attachment Attached File

https://taccom3g.com/product/pressure-plug-ar-22/
https://www.redi-mag.com/product/better-mag-s-22-rimfire-magazine-adaptor/
Link Posted: 5/13/2022 8:45:17 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Here’s the back of the receiver. A hex screw is kinda visible in the middle hole.
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/2158/9913F850-DE8D-4F37-AA78-6F89175A5701_jpe-2381943.JPG

Here is a pic of the pressure plug. You simply insert it into your buffer tube. It puts forward pressure onto the CMMG kit.
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/2158/3007BF8C-D119-4309-BA5C-F61A65D9A607_jpe-2381949.JPG

https://taccom3g.com/product/pressure-plug-ar-22/
https://www.redi-mag.com/product/better-mag-s-22-rimfire-magazine-adaptor/
View Quote

The more you know!!!  Thanks again!
Link Posted: 5/14/2022 10:39:02 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
View Quote

THIS!

I have worked with three .22LR AR BCGs (two CMMG and a TACCOM) and all three required a polish job using a felt Dremel wheel, progressive rouges (particularly on the feed ramp) finishing with Mother’s Billet as a final touch.  Otherwise, expect a ~500 round break-in period with multiple failures to feed or eject.
Link Posted: 5/15/2022 4:02:29 PM EDT
[#18]
I’m going to save you some time and angst
Cmmg kit
Dedicated cmmg barrel- do not use a take off 5.56 barrel you have laying around. This barrel should come with a little collar to replace the chamber adapter on the conversion kit
Sell the mag that comes with kit
Buy m/p 15/22 mags
Buy redi-mag mag well adapter.
Accurate, reliable, 100% identical manual of arms.
Pick whatever handguard, accessories, etc you want.
Easily will win you a rifleman patch at Appleseed.
Link Posted: 5/17/2022 3:26:50 PM EDT
[#19]
Thank you all for some great advice!
Link Posted: 5/26/2022 7:45:35 PM EDT
[#20]
I built this on a Mattis lower.
RTB bolt, CMMG 4.5" barrel, Cheapo 5" rail, Stag Spikes butt plug, Blackdog mags, Magpul stuff.
Fits in a computer bag, with 25 round mag in it.
Only problem I've had is with some shittly Federal 38 grain ammo that didn't work in much of anything.
Going to try it with my new Oculus this weekend.                  {pew}
Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 5/28/2022 6:03:05 PM EDT
[#21]
I'm loving my RTB lightweight build, this thing is stupid fun even with a 16" pencil barrel.  Thanks to some of you jerks, I might have to SBR the lower and do a 4-6" upper too.

The only 'weird' modification I've done to it was adding a 2mm silicone bumper onto the KNS flange assembly to add a little bit of pressure onto the bcg.  Malfunctions have been at 0 since then, as it took up the tiny bit of free play between the bolt and where the buffer would normally be.  Beyond that, I've got a Bore Buddy enhanced firing pin and extractor for when I need it.  No other concerns with it.

Btw, there's a dedicated .22 AR subforum. https://www.ar15.com/forums/ar-15/Rimfire-and-Pistol-Calibers/15/

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top