Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/11/2022 11:54:45 AM EDT
I have a 10/22 silencer host (dead air mask, factory threaded barrel with iron sights) that I want to put an optic on, I already have a MI pic rail. This will be a plinking and small game gun.

Should I go with a Sig Romeo 5 red dot or a Vortex Diamondback 2-7x scope? If scope how does the Diamondback compare to the crossfire line, does it warrant the 100 dollar difference?
Link Posted: 5/11/2022 12:02:06 PM EDT
[#1]
I would go with a scope, for accuracy.  Red dots are good for hitting things when you're not real particular about WHERE you hit them.
Link Posted: 5/11/2022 12:05:17 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I would go with a scope, for accuracy.  Red dots are good for hitting things when you're not real particular about WHERE you hit them.
View Quote

Got it, thanks
Link Posted: 5/11/2022 12:25:38 PM EDT
[#3]
I have a first gen Primary Arms 1X prism on my plinker 10-22 and just ordered a Vortex Crossfire II 4-12x40 for my more-precision heavy barrel 10-22.

I had a Bushnell AR scope on it, but it absolutely sucked. Approaching 10x, the eyebox went to shit and anything over 10x was useless.  Even at 8x, every time I got on the gun, it would still group at 50, but the point of impact would be different.  I am pretty sure this was still eyebox related, since I could still focus/parallax adjust the target image.  The eyebox thing was making a proper cheek weld impossible.

My point being, this is now the 4th scope I have had on this rifle.

It was more accurate with a cheap walmart 3-9 old school Bushnell mounted on it.

If this doesn't do it for me, I will slap on a Leupold, like I end up doing for most things.

Look for three cheap Bushnell AR scopes on the EE very soon.

ETA:  The 1X Prism is most excellent.  Very happy with it, and just bought my third gen 2.  The gen 2 does work on the 10-22, but the built in mount makes it look stupid on the gun.  The older one mounts in a more normal fashion.
Link Posted: 5/11/2022 12:31:56 PM EDT
[#4]
I would definitely go with a rimfire scope, not an "AR" scope, because of the parallax difference.

https://riflescopescenter.com/difference-rimfire-and-centerfire/
Link Posted: 5/11/2022 12:49:49 PM EDT
[#5]
All my rimfire rifles have scopes.
Link Posted: 5/11/2022 1:06:03 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I would definitely go with a rimfire scope, not an "AR" scope, because of the parallax difference.

View Quote

Thanks, I’m trying to stay 200 bucks and under, any ideas?

I’m looking at Vortex Crossfire 2 and Diamondback series currently
Link Posted: 5/11/2022 1:13:24 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Mine has a Nikon rimfire scope that I'm happy with.  I have no idea what the go for.  
Link Posted: 5/11/2022 1:16:22 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Mine has a Nikon rimfire scope that I'm happy with.  I have no idea what the go for.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

My 6.5 wears a Nikon and I love it, but they have stopped making scopes. So I’m back at square one, I see Athlon and Hawke being shown on YouTube, but my gut tells me Vortex.
Link Posted: 5/11/2022 1:25:49 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

My 6.5 wears a Nikon and I love it, but they have stopped making scopes. So I’m back at square one, I see Athlon and Hawke being shown on YouTube, but my gut tells me Vortex.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Really?  Bummer.   I was going to suggest you look at redfield, but it looks like they're also unavailable.
Link Posted: 5/11/2022 1:34:49 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
View Quote

I'd go scope also.
Link Posted: 5/11/2022 1:37:30 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View Quote

Vortex are ok if you don't want to spend a lot. I have one on my 17 HMR.
Link Posted: 5/11/2022 2:04:17 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks
Link Posted: 5/13/2022 10:11:49 PM EDT
[#13]
The Diamondback 2-7x35 has more adjustment range than many rimfire scopes.  I thinks it’s like 100 moa.  That might be important depending on the mounting setup.  It’s a good option.

Link Posted: 5/14/2022 7:44:18 AM EDT
[#14]
I took my first Appleseed with a basic factory 10/22 and a Bushnell 3 MOA red dot.  Came away with a Rifleman patch and some fairly decent scores--232 was my best.

I took my second Appleseed with the same rifle topped with a 3-12 USO scope......only shot one qualification target because I was in the middle of a move and couldn't attend the second day, but I scored 223 and I got a second Rifleman patch.

I would ask what your intended purpose will be--lightweight, carrying all day critter getter/plinker?  Red dot is plenty capable.  I'd recommend a used Eotech due to the 1 MOA dot--my 3 MOA dot almost completely obscures 1" targets at 25 yards and completely obscures them at further distances.  As previously mentioned, its easy to hit, but hard to know where its going to hit.  

Bench shooting or precision work?  Scope, every time.

It's more money than the 2-7 Diamondback, but the 4-16 Diamondback Tactical I have on my B14R is pretty impressive.  Glass is clear enough to see holes in paper at 200 yards, focuses down to 10 yards at full magnification, and the reticle makes holdovers easy.  FYI, if you qualify for the Vortex LE/mil/EMT/dog catcher discounts, you can get one a whole lot cheaper than retail.
Link Posted: 5/14/2022 8:47:16 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
The Diamondback 2-7x35 has more adjustment range than many rimfire scopes.  I thinks it’s like 100 moa.  That might be important depending on the mounting setup.  It’s a good option.

View Quote

Nice, I went ahead and bought it and will be zeroing it today. It’s a light weight and has better clarity then my Nikon
Link Posted: 5/14/2022 8:52:58 AM EDT
[#16]
I love my Romeo 5 and out to 100yds, I think the 2MOA dot will do the job.
Past 100yds, you probably want a scope.

I have a couple of Vortex scopes, both a crossfire and a diamondback.
The crossfire scopes are their entry level scopes, made in China. I bought mine because I needed a scout scope (long eye relief) and it works great.
I'm very happy with it.

The diamondback is their next level scope made in the Philippines, most people say the glass is clearer than the crossfire, but I can't really tell much, if any difference.

I can say that their "no questions asked warranty" and customer service is outstanding.
Link Posted: 5/14/2022 5:53:34 PM EDT
[#17]
Diamondback 2-7x35 glass and construction is Philippine and is WAY better than Chinese Crossfire.

That said, Diamondback Tactical is Chinese.  However, at 22LR distances its glass (better than Crossfire) is decent.  It does start pooping out at 300+.

Given that the host will be a 10/22, you need rimfire parallax.  If you get a 2-7x scope, be sure it is the rimfire version. Those scopes do not have side focus parallax adjustment, and need the shorter 50 yard fixed parallax of rimfire specific models.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top