Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/13/2021 6:01:21 PM EDT
Strange name, but got to hold one at Collectors Firearms in Houston.  Felt great in the hand.  Very light, and with bolt action, should make a jam up suppressor host.

Down side, they are expensive.  Like 1000 bucks plus.  

But look sweet, and very packable.  

Doc
Link Posted: 1/13/2021 7:11:12 PM EDT
[#1]
I went to my local SW to get a 10/22 and I saw this xring behind the counter.

Ask the guy to hand it to me after he told me it wasn’t a Ruger.  

Two seconds in my hand and I said “SOLD!”

THEN I looked at the price tag and gulped.  

It is THE best 22 I ever shot and I’m glad I bought it.  

It is now a suppressor host and very accurate and reliable.
Link Posted: 1/13/2021 8:29:23 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

Down side, they are expensive.  Like 1000 bucks plus.  
View Quote

You really should take a walk down the Anschutz aisle sometime. $1k will seem like a bargain, IMO.
Link Posted: 1/13/2021 10:40:23 PM EDT
[#3]
Slightly off topic... since this appears to be a turn-bolt 10/22TD...

What happened with the manual locking bolt design on rimfire autoloaders? Especially the push-in type like a savage model 6. Is it just because you can generally hold the bolt closed with your thumb pretty easily when firing ammo that won't cycle?

I also thought it was a nice safety feature in the sense of the locking-notch on an open-bolt SMG. Easy to lock the bolt closed on an empty chamber for condition 3 storage or potentially rough handling in the field.
Link Posted: 1/14/2021 7:27:54 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

What happened with the manual locking bolt design on rimfire autoloaders? Especially the push-in type like a savage model 6. Is it just because you can generally hold the bolt closed with your thumb pretty easily when firing ammo that won't cycle?
View Quote

I'm not in the industry, but I would guess it was cost savings that eliminated that feature. Or lawyers. Pick one.  
Link Posted: 1/15/2021 11:09:50 PM EDT
[#5]
I'm hopin they make one in 22wmr
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 12:17:36 PM EDT
[#6]
I only know it as a small town in far northern Nevada on the Idaho border.
Cool rifle, though.
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 3:55:06 AM EDT
[#7]
Cool little gun.

Quoted:
Cool rifle, though.
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/340315/20210116_081330_jpg-1781746.JPG
View Quote

Makes sense and definitely sounded like a Tribal name. That must be one of the tribes they have locally. Learn something new every day.
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 4:14:10 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View Quote

So you have one of these or a X-Ring? Your post is confusing because you say this X-Ring but it's not a X-Ring.
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 10:27:30 AM EDT
[#9]
I get paying for quality, but for a rifle that looks to have nothing too elegant about it the price is over the top.
Good concept and perhaps ( like some companies are doing now) Ruger will pirate the idea and come out with something similar.
A short barreled Ruger American rimfire in a similar magpul stock would sort of do the same job much cheaper. Obviously not a takedown, and no such magpul stock exists ( they can’t even keep up on demand for the 10/22 stock)

When talking about expensive rifles look at vudoo
Base price in the 2-3k range.
Funny thing I shoot nrl22 with a bargain basement savage ( all in gun mounts optics bipod etc under 700 bucks) and I see guys with vudoos have about as many malfunctions as I do. For the base gun, I could literally by 12 savages for the cost of one vudoo!
Of course the vudoo has the potential to be much more accurate, but at my skill level it is not the rifle holding me back.
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 10:44:48 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

So you have one of these or a X-Ring? Your post is confusing because you say this X-Ring but it's not a X-Ring.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It is an xring, I mentioned it because the TacSol blew my mind in just 3 seconds of handling it.  
TacSol is good stuff and I wouldn’t hesitate buying any of their products.  

Did not mean this as a threadjack.
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 2:34:36 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

It is an xring, I mentioned it because the TacSol blew my mind in just 3 seconds of handling it.  

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

No worries I was just confused. I have a TacSol 10/22 barrel as well as a Paclite upper bought back when they were just getting big 15ish years ago. I love them and the only thing I regret is they are not threaded.
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 9:54:25 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Cool rifle, though.
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/340315/20210116_081330_jpg-1781746.JPG
View Quote

Quoted:
Cool little gun.

Makes sense and definitely sounded like a Tribal name. That must be one of the tribes they have locally. Learn something new every day.
View Quote

Its actually a corrupted miner/trapper spelling of Hawaii, they made us Nevada kids study this stuff in 7th grade:  The name of the river is from the older spelling of "Hawaii." It was named for three Hawaiian trappers, in the employ of the North West Company, who were sent to explore the uncharted river. They failed to return to the rendezvous near the Boise River and were never seen again. Due to this the river and its region were named Owyhee.
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 3:10:50 AM EDT
[#13]
I’ll be damned.
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 4:36:31 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Its actually a corrupted miner/trapper spelling of Hawaii, they made us Nevada kids study this stuff in 7th grade:  The name of the river is from the older spelling of "Hawaii." It was named for three Hawaiian trappers, in the employ of the North West Company, who were sent to explore the uncharted river. They failed to return to the rendezvous near the Boise River and were never seen again. Due to this the river and its region were named Owyhee.
View Quote

Thanks for the cool history lesson on the name.

TacSol is located in Boise, ID.....so they used an interesting name that is kind of local.

I live in SW Idaho, and we have the Owyhee river, that starts in Nevada, and travels hundreds of miles  through the Owyhee mtn range into NW Oregon...and ends near SW Idaho at the Snake river.

The river consists of smooth water, and class 3-5 rapids (many have been killed/lost between Rome and the Owyhee Reservior) and canyons/gorges that rival anything on the Colorado river.

It's pronounced "Oh Why Hee" around here...and god help you if you say it wrong around the locals.

Link Posted: 1/27/2021 9:59:33 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Thanks for the cool history lesson on the name.

TacSol is located in Boise, ID.....so they used an interesting name that is kind of local.

I live in SW Idaho, and we have the Owyhee river, that starts in Nevada, and travels hundreds of miles  through the Owyhee mtn range into NW Oregon...and ends near SW Idaho at the Snake river.

The river consists of smooth water, and class 3-5 rapids (many have been killed/lost between Rome and the Owyhee Reservior) and canyons/gorges that rival anything on the Colorado river.

It's pronounced "Oh Why Hee" around here...and god help you if you say it wrong around the locals.

View Quote

I've been in that area hunting of Idaho hunting, beautiful place.  over here in western NV, people if they've ever even heard of it say Uh-wa-hee.  My 7th grade teacher made Owyhee sound really cool, so I was always intrigued by the place myself.  I guess since the Owyhee drains to the Snake that removes that entire drainage from the Great Basin.  Never really thought about it like that.

I really want one of the rifles.  If I get a buyer for my threaded 1895 I will be buying one.

Link Posted: 2/6/2021 1:14:59 PM EDT
[#16]
I didn't know these existed, but now I need one. I was looking at folding-stock .22lr bolt guns (mostly the similarly priced CZ 457 chassis rifle) as a suppressed plinker I could fit in a range bag, but this is even better. And locally made!
Link Posted: 2/6/2021 9:42:27 PM EDT
[#17]
So I got one of them today. A shop had one and after handling it I was blown away. I blame you lot for this.

I'll hopefully shoot it next weekend. The balance is great and it feels great, nice and solid even though it is incredibly light. Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/6/2021 10:01:44 PM EDT
[#18]
OST
Link Posted: 2/6/2021 10:09:25 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Cool little gun.

View Quote

TacSol is out of Meridian IIRC ( just west of Boise). The Owyhee mountains are to the south/southwest. Owyhee county takes up a decent size chunk of that corner of the state.
According to wikipedia its some sort of bastardization of "Hawaii"

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Owyhee_Mountains
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Owyhee_County,_Idaho

Link Posted: 2/7/2021 7:33:31 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

TacSol is out of Meridian IIRC ( just west of Boise). The Owyhee mountains are to the south/southwest. Owyhee county takes up a decent size chunk of that corner of the state.
According to wikipedia its some sort of bastardization of "Hawaii"

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Owyhee_Mountains
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Owyhee_County,_Idaho

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/8/88/Map_of_Idaho_highlighting_Owyhee_County.svg/800px-Map_of_Idaho_highlighting_Owyhee_County.svg.png
View Quote
Yep, we covered this earlier in this thread.
Link Posted: 2/10/2021 1:40:10 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
So I got one of them today. A shop had one and after handling it I was blown away. I blame you lot for this.

I'll hopefully shoot it next weekend. The balance is great and it feels great, nice and solid even though it is incredibly light. https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/302267/20210206_182316_resized_1_jpg-1814051.JPGhttps://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/302267/20210206_182405_resized_1_jpg-1814048.JPG
View Quote

Please describe the action compared to a Cz, RAR, or whatever other 22lr bolt gun you have.

I am curious how well they made the action.

What trigger does it use?
Link Posted: 2/10/2021 2:17:45 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Please describe the action compared to a Cz, RAR, or whatever other 22lr bolt gun you have.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'll hopefully shoot it next weekend. The balance is great and it feels great, nice and solid even though it is incredibly light. https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/302267/20210206_182316_resized_1_jpg-1814051.JPGhttps://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/302267/20210206_182405_resized_1_jpg-1814048.JPG

This is my only .22lr bolt gun but I have handled quite a few others. It's not as smooth as a nice CZ 457-series gun due to the slightly uneven pressure lifting the bolt up (a "clicking" feeling due to camming the striker back during bolt-rise) and larger bolt opening angle (about 90 degrees) but is better than the RPRr. Compared to a RAR, it's in a higher league and feels like it.

The gun cams the striker back when you raise the bolt so it's a bit odd if you don't know to use a little extra force at that point. If you are aware of it it's not bad at all. The cycling is smooth with just a hint of resistance from the finishes rubbing together. It is not loose at any point of the bolt movement. In fact nothing on this rifle is loose. The machining is the nicest of any gun I own. I really can't overstate how nicely made the gun is.

The trigger is nice but nothing special, and it might be proprietary (I suspect this due to it being nothing like a 10/22 trigger in function). It has no take-up and less than a quarter inch of travel under even pressure, maybe 4-5lbs or so (I don't own a trigger gauge). It's a bit rough and feels like some finish-on-finish that I expect to wear in quickly. There is no springiness or sponginess. Mechanically it simply slides a vertical locking piece down to release the striker, like most bolt-actions I'm familiar with. It's better than a stock 10/22 trigger but not on the level of a high-end AR15 or 1911 trigger. It compares favorably to a stock mil-spec AR15 trigger but without any springy/spongy feeling (as all mil-spec AR15 stock triggers seem to have) in a somewhat longer the pull. It has a small blade-type safety in the middle of the trigger face. The trigger assembly appears to be milled out of steel or aluminum and feels nice with no sharp or rough edges and no pinch points that I've found.
Link Posted: 2/12/2021 11:39:19 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
I get paying for quality, but for a rifle that looks to have nothing too elegant about it the price is over the top.
Good concept and perhaps ( like some companies are doing now) Ruger will pirate the idea and come out with something similar.
A short barreled Ruger American rimfire in a similar magpul stock would sort of do the same job much cheaper. Obviously not a takedown, and no such magpul stock exists ( they can't even keep up on demand for the 10/22 stock)

When talking about expensive rifles look at vudoo
Base price in the 2-3k range.
Funny thing I shoot nrl22 with a bargain basement savage ( all in gun mounts optics bipod etc under 700 bucks) and I see guys with vudoos have about as many malfunctions as I do. For the base gun, I could literally by 12 savages for the cost of one vudoo!
Of course the vudoo has the potential to be much more accurate, but at my skill level it is not the rifle holding me back.
View Quote
We currently have a $5000 Cooper .22 in our shop
Link Posted: 2/18/2021 1:45:02 AM EDT
[#24]
I got a good price for my 1895 and ammo so I ordered a Owyhee, will report back after I get it out to the range.

Link Posted: 2/19/2021 12:25:07 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
This is my only .22lr bolt gun but I have handled quite a few others. It's not as smooth as a nice CZ 457-series gun due to the slightly uneven pressure lifting the bolt up (a "clicking" feeling due to camming the striker back during bolt-rise) and larger bolt opening angle (about 90 degrees) but is better than the RPRr. Compared to a RAR, it's in a higher league and feels like it.

The gun cams the striker back when you raise the bolt so it's a bit odd if you don't know to use a little extra force at that point. If you are aware of it it's not bad at all. The cycling is smooth with just a hint of resistance from the finishes rubbing together. It is not loose at any point of the bolt movement. In fact nothing on this rifle is loose. The machining is the nicest of any gun I own. I really can't overstate how nicely made the gun is.

The trigger is nice but nothing special, and it might be proprietary (I suspect this due to it being nothing like a 10/22 trigger in function). It has no take-up and less than a quarter inch of travel under even pressure, maybe 4-5lbs or so (I don't own a trigger gauge). It's a bit rough and feels like some finish-on-finish that I expect to wear in quickly. There is no springiness or sponginess. Mechanically it simply slides a vertical locking piece down to release the striker, like most bolt-actions I'm familiar with. It's better than a stock 10/22 trigger but not on the level of a high-end AR15 or 1911 trigger. It compares favorably to a stock mil-spec AR15 trigger but without any springy/spongy feeling (as all mil-spec AR15 stock triggers seem to have) in a somewhat longer the pull. It has a small blade-type safety in the middle of the trigger face. The trigger assembly appears to be milled out of steel or aluminum and feels nice with no sharp or rough edges and no pinch points that I've found.
View Quote

Thanks for taking the time to respond.

Hope if shoots well.
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 10:37:20 PM EDT
[#26]
My Owyhee came in, and I took it out to the desert for some testing.  It feels just like my takedown 10/22 with TacSol barrel in a Magpul stock (as it should).  I really like the bolt and the trigger, smooth all around.  

Attachment Attached File

These were the first three rounds at 25 yards, random bulk pack, kneeling off a tripod, factory open sights.

Attachment Attached File

Full 10 round group, shot quickly.  It will be tough to shoot with much precision with the stock sights.  After a little more trigger time, I hit a broken clay at 150 yards off hand, so it's obviously pretty good.  I feel like it will outshoot my 10/22 easily.

Overall, really fun gun, well made, and I'm glad I bought it.
Link Posted: 2/26/2021 11:27:54 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
My Owyhee came in, and I took it out to the desert for some testing.  It feels just like my takedown 10/22 with TacSol barrel in a Magpul stock (as it should).  I really like the bolt and the trigger, smooth all around.  

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/164254/3D1C7DEA-52FA-4387-BC6C-AE5A5701FE5C_jpe-1841529.JPG

These were the first three rounds at 25 yards, random bulk pack, kneeling off a tripod, factory open sights.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/164254/FE32B75A-EA89-4767-9835-4576B93044EE_jpe-1841530.JPG

Full 10 round group, shot quickly.  It will be tough to shoot with much precision with the stock sights.  After a little more trigger time, I hit a broken clay at 150 yards off hand, so it's obviously pretty good.  I feel like it will outshoot my 10/22 easily.

Overall, really fun gun, well made, and I'm glad I bought it.
View Quote
Awesome!

Weather and life keeps delaying me taking mine out, but while waiting I added some QD sling swivel cups to the stock and got the scope rail for it (mostly because experience had taught me that waiting on proprietary parts results in them going out of stock forever). I'm just waiting for a reply email from the manufacturer on their recommended torque spec for the scope rail screws, since I'm always nervous about torqueing steel strews into aluminum. I do keep it sitting next to my desk so I can fondle it while I wait for work websites to load. The handling is still superb and I love the fixed sights. My vision, even with glasses, is terrible so I'll be putting a magnified optic on mine for plinking purposes. Does that defeat the point of a super-light takedown gun? Yes, yes it does. I love impracticality.

And the scope is on a LaRue QD rings so I'll take it off if I want it for backpacking and not worry about loosing zero.

@turbobrick Have you figured out what you'll put in that weird trapdoor in the base of the grip? I didn't even realize it existed until a friend found it while looking at the gun.
Link Posted: 2/27/2021 1:34:27 AM EDT
[#28]
@CFletch

I'll probably keep a copy of my tax stamp in there.  I had my YHM Mite/Stinger on there for testing, and usually shoot suppressed.  When TacSol announced this rifle, the first thing I asked about was a SBX barrel, or even just a SBR barrel.  They said maybe, and I'll absolutely do either if they offer it.
Link Posted: 2/28/2021 9:14:31 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
@CFletch

I'll probably keep a copy of my tax stamp in there.  I had my YHM Mite/Stinger on there for testing, and usually shoot suppressed.  When TacSol announced this rifle, the first thing I asked about was a SBX barrel, or even just a SBR barrel.  They said maybe, and I'll absolutely do either if they offer it.
View Quote
I don't have a takedown 10/22 but the barrel on my Owyhee looks very similar to the one's I've played with, so it might take 10/22 takedown barrels. That would really open the options on barrels (integral suppressed, SBR, etc.) if it turns out to be the case.
Link Posted: 2/28/2021 9:17:56 PM EDT
[#30]
Looks great! I love my integrally suppressed 22lr upper for my AR.
Link Posted: 3/1/2021 12:18:59 AM EDT
[#31]
I handled one a bit at SHOT Show 2020.  I've been waiting for Ruger to make a take-down American Rimfire bolt action for a while...I mean, they have the technology to do it properly...but they just refuse to do it.

I was unimpressed.  It felt fragile and dainty...5/10 stars.  I mean, I've held airsoft rifles that felt more substantial.  I tried running the bolt semi hard and quickly...no go, bound up on me, and I thought I was going to break the bolt knob. I think they were so preoccupied with making a light weight rifle, they forgot it needs to feel like a solid gun, also.  

No idea how it shoots, but TacSol X-ring barrels are usually good shooters.  

I'm sure it will be a good rifle, but I think I'll keep waiting for Ruger to make what I really want.
Link Posted: 3/1/2021 12:24:34 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
I don't have a takedown 10/22 but the barrel on my Owyhee looks very similar to the one's I've played with, so it might take 10/22 takedown barrels. That would really open the options on barrels (integral suppressed, SBR, etc.) if it turns out to be the case.
View Quote

I think it does take standard 10/22 barrels....I think that is what the rep at SHOT Show told me.

Even if the it's not the same barrel as a 10/22, that takedown collar they use is straight from Ruger...so that means any 10/22 Takedown barrel should just pop in there...unless the barrel tenon is longer/shorter than a 10/22.
Link Posted: 3/1/2021 10:17:51 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
View Quote
I asked them before they released it, and they said the Owyhee barrel is proprietary.  After receiving mine, I believe it, right off the bat, the Owyhee has dual extractors so that is one incompatibility.
Link Posted: 3/1/2021 10:30:41 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

I think it does take standard 10/22 barrels....I think that is what the rep at SHOT Show told me.

Even if the it's not the same barrel as a 10/22, that takedown collar they use is straight from Ruger...so that means any 10/22 Takedown barrel should just pop in there...unless the barrel tenon is longer/shorter than a 10/22.
View Quote

Put them side by side real quick.  Other than the cut for the second extractor, they seem the same.  They both locked into each other fine, didn't close the bolt on the Owyhee with the 10/22 barrel installed, obviously.  Measured the tenon, and they are both the same length.

When I first took the Owyhee down, the second extractor surprised me, not sure why it needs and extra.  Maybe this is TacSol's way of preventing cross comparability.  With a second extractor cut in a regular 10/22 barrel it could very well work.

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 3/2/2021 9:26:56 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

Put them side by side real quick.  Other than the cut for the second extractor, they seem the same.  They both locked into each other fine, didn't close the bolt on the Owyhee with the 10/22 barrel installed, obviously.  Measured the tenon, and they are both the same length.

When I first took the Owyhee down, the second extractor surprised me, not sure why it needs and extra.  Maybe this is TacSol's way of preventing cross comparability.  With a second extractor cut in a regular 10/22 barrel it could very well work.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/164254/9A31F869-FBC0-4E10-B69C-F9AA425C9988_jpe-1847483.JPG
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/164254/9A31F869-FBC0-4E10-B69C-F9AA425C9988_jpe-1847483.JPG
Hmm

I wonder if the bolt would close if the extra extractor is removed.
Link Posted: 3/2/2021 8:50:36 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Hmm

View Quote
Ok, so I popped the second extractor out.  It's has a very different tip profile from the extractor in the standard 10/22 position.  The two extractors are linked by a big half circle spring clip.  The bolt will close with the extractor out, but either the design requires another extractor, or more likely the spring clip needs both extractors in there to provide enough tension on the main one.  Maybe cutting off the claw of the second one would work, but I think it would be easier to cut the groove in a barrel.
Link Posted: 3/2/2021 10:01:40 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Ok, so I popped the second extractor out.  It's has a very different tip profile from the extractor in the standard 10/22 position.  The two extractors are linked by a big half circle spring clip.  The bolt will close with the extractor out, but either the design requires another extractor, or more likely the spring clip needs both extractors in there to provide enough tension on the main one.  Maybe cutting off the claw of the second one would work, but I think it would be easier to cut the groove in a barrel.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Hmm

I think either the 77/22 or 96/22 had a similar setup and it was common to mod 10/22 barrels to fit.

My Tacsol barrel does great for me but it’s a plate gun so I’ve never put it on paper for max accuracy.
Link Posted: 3/2/2021 10:26:07 PM EDT
[#38]
I remember people having 10/22 barrels cut to fit the dual extractors of the 77/22.  It would be a simple task to do the same for a SBX takedown barrel.  Maybe at some point TacSol will offer an SBX barrel for the Owyhee...that's the only reason I would be interested in one.  

I'll just keep my fingers crossed for a Ruger made version...
Link Posted: 3/3/2021 2:14:24 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

I think either the 77/22 or 96/22 had a similar setup and it was common to mod 10/22 barrels to fit.

My Tacsol barrel does great for me but it's a plate gun so I've never put it on paper for max accuracy.
View Quote

My TacSol barrels have also shot really well, but I've kept them all irons.  I even went to the lengths of installing Nodak irons on a SBX then installing the barrel on the receiver.  This is the main reason I didn't have a takedown SBX before this, the barrel tapers and you can't put a sight like that on them anymore.  I'd like to shoot the Owyhee for groups, but it apparently uses a special base that I can't find anywhere.

Quoted:
I remember people having 10/22 barrels cut to fit the dual extractors of the 77/22.  It would be a simple task to do the same for a SBX takedown barrel.  Maybe at some point TacSol will offer an SBX barrel for the Owyhee...that's the only reason I would be interested in one.  

I'll just keep my fingers crossed for a Ruger made version...
View Quote

I almost ordered a TacSol Charger barrel yesterday so I could just SBR this thing, but I held off.  I would also really prefer a SBX.  If the takedown SBX wasn't tapered I'd have already bought one.
Link Posted: 4/1/2021 5:52:48 PM EDT
[#40]
I took mine out to the range, finally. It's a joy to shoot and the sights were dead-on out to 25 yards (the limit of the range I was at).
Link Posted: 4/18/2021 12:38:10 AM EDT
[#41]
Finally tossed a scope on the Owyhee and took at out to shoot for groups.  I was having tracking issues with the scope, so I just held at the same POA and let the group fall wherever.  We shot at 25 yards, YHM Mite/Stinger converted can, off a BOG tripod, pretty steady breeze.  This is 15 rounds of CCI clean subs, the zero was the POA.

Attachment Attached File

My wife then shot some groups, and said she thought is was a really fun little rifle.  This is 10 rounds of Winchester 333 bulk supers.  Again scope not tracking well, she was on the orange as her POA.

Attachment Attached File

it's definitely a great shooting little gun.  I'm pulling off the scope and base though, it's just too fun with irons.  I'm thinking about SBR or maybe a  TSS barrel down the road
Link Posted: 4/18/2021 4:41:14 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Finally tossed a scope on the Owyhee and took at out to shoot for groups.  I was having tracking issues with the scope, so I just held at the same POA and let the group fall wherever.  We shot at 25 yards, YHM Mite/Stinger converted can, off a BOG tripod, pretty steady breeze.  This is 15 rounds of CCI clean subs, the zero was the POA.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/164254/236DBCF5-01A1-42E0-917B-24B21C8A9BFD_jpe-1909045.JPG

My wife then shot some groups, and said she thought is was a really fun little rifle.  This is 10 rounds of Winchester 333 bulk supers.  Again scope not tracking well, she was on the orange as her POA.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/164254/4A3C5983-A714-483D-960E-C33ACCDE27F1_jpe-1909046.JPG

it's definitely a great shooting little gun.  I'm pulling off the scope and base though, it's just too fun with irons.  I'm thinking about SBR or maybe a  TSS barrel down the road
View Quote

What scope?  Have you thought about peep sights at all?  Lotta folks don't like them on takedowns. I have zero complaints with my 10/22 TD & Tech Sights.    It passes my "MellowCream Punkin Test"  where I toss out a handful of MellowCream Punkin candies @ 50yds. They're roughly 1inch spheres.  
Then I shoot them.  Mainly offhand or offhand supported with a staff or post. Those are my most used squirrel hunting positions.  Usually I'm a 9 outta 10 shooter.  

Thanks for the report.  
I'm still waitin to see if they drop one in 22mag.  

Off hand do you know what it weighs?
Link Posted: 4/18/2021 8:24:53 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

What scope?  Have you thought about peep sights at all?  Lotta folks don't like them on takedowns. I have zero complaints with my 10/22 TD & Tech Sights.    It passes my "MellowCream Punkin Test"  where I toss out a handful of MellowCream Punkin candies @ 50yds. They're roughly 1inch spheres.  
Then I shoot them.  Mainly offhand or offhand supported with a staff or post. Those are my most used squirrel hunting positions.  Usually I'm a 9 outta 10 shooter.  

Thanks for the report.  
I'm still waitin to see if they drop one in 22mag.  

Off hand do you know what it weighs?
View Quote

The scope is an Athlon that I got second hand for super cheap.  I suspected it had problems, I already sent it off to them for repair/warranty.  I had Tech Sights on a standard 10/22 before and was really pleased with them.  I'm pretty sure that they will not fit on the Owyhee, its top profile is different than a regular 10/22, it uses a proprietary rail.  I may put a set on my 10/22TD though, that would be a great improvement.  TacSol says it weighs 3.9 pounds, and I believe them.  

A 22 mag would be amazing, I'd like to see 17wsm as well.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top