Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Posted: 6/2/2012 8:53:09 AM EDT
Had Tim @ Hangingtreearmory.com do a little barrel work for me.   Chopped it back to 16", threaded, and set the front sight boss back.  Also hit it with a bead blaster.

I also installed some 77/22 sights, as they are a bit taller.  Don't know why Ruger makes the 10/22 sights so low.

Link Posted: 6/2/2012 9:04:22 AM EDT
[#1]
So that is how the TakeDown rifle was originally supposed to look.
Link Posted: 6/2/2012 9:48:19 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

That's what I was thinking.  Added sling swivels and threw some Volquartsen trigger parts in to make it extra crispy.  It's now wearing a Barska 2X scope.
Link Posted: 6/2/2012 10:30:49 AM EDT
[#3]
Very nice.

I think I may copy the sling swivel idea too.  Thanks for the heads up on the 77/22 sights.  Put mine on over the weekend and they look/feel much better than the 10/22 ones.  Also picked up a VQ buffer and extractor.  

Still would like to find a good deal on an extended mag release.
Link Posted: 6/2/2012 10:32:42 AM EDT
[#4]
What did the work cost?
Link Posted: 6/2/2012 11:01:25 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
What did the work cost?

$75 including return shipping.
Link Posted: 6/2/2012 11:05:52 AM EDT
[#6]
I like a whole lot, especially the sights!
Link Posted: 6/2/2012 4:47:29 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Agreed. Nice looking stick.
Link Posted: 6/3/2012 4:45:55 PM EDT
[#8]
Stuck an AGP Arms folder on it today.  

Link Posted: 6/3/2012 4:56:22 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Stuck an AGP Arms folder on it today.  

[email=mailto:http://www.flickr.com/photos/14160148@N05/7331783516/]http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7215/7331783516_2319e6e37b_b.jpg[/email]
IMG_1458 by sgtlmj, on Flickr

[email=mailto:http://www.flickr.com/photos/14160148@N05/7331785952/]http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8013/7331785952_63627abf6b_b.jpg[/email]
IMG_1460 by sgtlmj, on Flickr

[email=http://www.flickr.com/photos/14160148@N05/7331786908/]http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8168/7331786908_cf7627e5e4_b.jpg[/email]
IMG_1461 by sgtlmj, on Flickr

I have always wondered the AGP stock was listed as being 1" opening...can a silencer be stored in there? WHat is the depth of the stocks opening?
Link Posted: 6/3/2012 5:24:43 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I have always wondered the AGP stock was listed as being 1" opening...can a silencer be stored in there? WHat is the depth of the stocks opening?

Runs the length of the stock.  Maybe 10". Comes with a cap.
Link Posted: 6/3/2012 5:45:19 PM EDT
[#11]
Tech Sights and you won't want that scope any longer. They are really spectacular for hitting what you're aiming at.  The only question is if the Tech sights can see over the suppressor.  I believe they are 3/4" high.
Link Posted: 6/3/2012 5:47:40 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Tech Sights and you won't want that scope any longer. They are really spectacular for hitting what you're aiming at.  The only question is if the Tech sights can see over the suppressor.  I believe they are 3/4" high.

With my aging eyes I need glass. I'm going to set up another 10/22 I have laying around with Tech Sights for my boy once he is old enough to learn about proper sights.
Link Posted: 6/3/2012 5:54:09 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Quoted:

With my aging eyes I need glass. I'm going to set up another 10/22 I have laying around with Tech Sights for my boy once he is old enough to learn about proper sights.

I get that. I got lasik to get my great eyes. I have been thinking about one of these for a while.
Link Posted: 6/5/2012 3:00:38 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Quoted:
What did the work cost?

$75 including return shipping.

Holy smokes thats a good price!
Link Posted: 6/5/2012 4:52:43 PM EDT
[#15]
Did you have to do any mods to the AGP stock to accomodate the takedown part of the front of the receiver?

I heard that AGP was going to mod their folding 10/22 stock to work with the new TD.

Nice set-up!
Link Posted: 6/5/2012 5:24:45 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Did you have to do any mods to the AGP stock to accomodate the takedown part of the front of the receiver?

I heard that AGP was going to mod their folding 10/22 stock to work with the new TD.

Nice set-up!

About 5min with a file.  The AGP stock is a bit shorter than the Ruger, so most of the chunky bits on the TD's locking block don't interfere.  

I've seen folks mod a Butler Creek folder, and it apparently doesn't hold the receiver at the rear end requiring a screw or pin.  The AGP stock holds the rear of the receiver.
Link Posted: 6/5/2012 5:27:57 PM EDT
[#17]
Thx!

Hope AGP comes out with a version of their stock that fits as well as the factory TD stock.
Link Posted: 6/5/2012 5:33:26 PM EDT
[#18]
Very nice OP.
Link Posted: 6/5/2012 5:44:11 PM EDT
[#19]
cool
Link Posted: 6/7/2012 8:11:48 PM EDT
[#20]
I just had a similar job done for quite a bit more.  Work just returned today and I will try and post pics later.  The front sight was not quite clocked precisely back to the 12 o'clock - probably 2 maybe 3 degrees off.  You can't tell until you remount the barrel and the tech sights are just a bit "tilted" off to the side.  

How did the gunsmith do on yours?  Is the front sight clocked back on perfectly or is there some can't?

UPDATE - took mine to the range - the work is spot on.
Link Posted: 6/7/2012 9:03:10 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
I just had a similar job done for quite a bit more.  Work just returned today and I will try and post pics later.  The front sight was not quite clocked precisely back to the 12 o'clock - probably 2 maybe 3 degrees off.  You can't tell until you remount the barrel and the tech sights are just a bit "tilted" off to the side.  

How did the gunsmith do on yours?  Is the front sight clocked back on perfectly or is there some can't?

Mines spot on.
Link Posted: 6/10/2012 10:47:13 PM EDT
[#22]
Man that is pretty neat.  This is almost what I want to do and add a suppressor.

Question on hangingtreearmory....Do you like/recommend them?  What was the rate on the threading you received (if that makes sense)?  Is your sight lined up pretty good?  I talked with a company about doing this and, thus far, the solution is simply that the front sight will be lost and then I can have the barrel threaded.
Link Posted: 6/11/2012 4:55:03 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Man that is pretty neat.  This is almost what I want to do and add a suppressor.

Question on hangingtreearmory....Do you like/recommend them?  What was the rate on the threading you received (if that makes sense)?  Is your sight lined up pretty good?  I talked with a company about doing this and, thus far, the solution is simply that the front sight will be lost and then I can have the barrel threaded.

There is a website called Rimfirecentral.com. In there sponsor list is a guy called Que. Contact him about it. He will fix you up. Very reasonable prices too.
Link Posted: 6/11/2012 7:52:46 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

I had it threaded 1/2x28 to match my SilencerCo Sparrow suppressor.  22LR suppressors usually get threaded this pitch with a thread length of 0.40".  High power rifle .223/5.56 suppressor threads are longer.  0.650".

I haven't found anyone that can do this work as inexpensively as Tim.  The work was top-knotch.  Front sight aligned perfectly.  

If the company you talked to can't do this kind of work, go somewhere else.  It's basic machine work.  I can't recommend Hanging Tree Armory highly enough.
Link Posted: 6/11/2012 7:56:17 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Had Tim @ Hangingtreearmory.com do a little barrel work for me.   Chopped it back to 16", threaded, and set the front sight boss back.  Also hit it with a bead blaster.

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8002/7321352596_0436372dbf_c.jpg

I also installed some 77/22 sights, as they are a bit taller.  Don't know why Ruger makes the 10/22 sights so low.

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7223/7321392432_eac492843c_c.jpg

That's pretty nice.  *thumbsup.jpg*
Link Posted: 6/11/2012 10:55:44 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I had it threaded 1/2x28 to match my SilencerCo Sparrow suppressor.  22LR suppressors usually get threaded this pitch with a thread length of 0.40".  High power rifle .223/5.56 suppressor threads are longer.  0.650".

I haven't found anyone that can do this work as inexpensively as Tim.  The work was top-knotch.  Front sight aligned perfectly.  

If the company you talked to can't do this kind of work, go somewhere else.  It's basic machine work.  I can't recommend Hanging Tree Armory highly enough.

Thanks for the tip.  Well, the company is ADCO.  In the AR section I hear nothing but good things about this company....
Link Posted: 6/12/2012 5:42:37 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks for the tip.  Well, the company is ADCO.  In the AR section I hear nothing but good things about this company....

They do good work, and a ton of it. They likely don't have the time to do the sight setback.  Send it to Tim.
Link Posted: 6/12/2012 8:09:25 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

They do good work, and a ton of it. They likely don't have the time to do the sight setback.  Send it to Tim.

JP Grips does a good job as well but they charge at least double what Tim is charging.  JP Grips advertises their service on Ebay.  Service was top notch and turnaround was quick - under 2 weeks - but pricey.  I would have gone with Tim had I know about him.
Link Posted: 6/13/2012 3:22:01 PM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 6/13/2012 4:31:02 PM EDT
[#30]

Too awesome.  Excluding the folding stock, this is exactly what I want to do.
Link Posted: 7/7/2012 3:09:01 PM EDT
[#31]
So on recommendations from this thread I sent my barell to hanging tree.  Shipped it off last saturday and recieved it this saturday.  The work was good for the money.  The threads where a little ruff but running my thread protector over them and cleaning the metal files out with a brass brush its smooth.  Im talking 5 minutes of cleanup.  The barrel had a little scratch in it from im guessing where he put it in some type of vise whether it was from the lathe or when he was re installing the front sght.  Overall ist very shallow barely deep enough to feel with a fingernail and most will buff out.  The best part is where its at its completly covered by the forearm so knowing how I drag my guns through the woods I really dont care and you cant see it with the forearm on anyway.  The most important part to me was the threads are concentric and no worries about baffles strikes. Also the crown on the muzzle was great and the gun shoots one hole at 30 yards with cci standard. For the super anal and picky people he may not be the guy for the job.  For me and the amount he charges I will be sending him more work.  Now for the pictures.

Link Posted: 7/8/2012 4:09:34 PM EDT
[#32]
FWIW,,,APG website has blem folders on sale for $50,,,that's right fiddy bucks...normally $95

If I hadn't just bought a CMMG dedicated upper I'd be all over this,,,,,
Link Posted: 7/8/2012 4:15:11 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
FWIW,,,APG website has blem folders on sale for $50,,,that's right fiddy bucks...normally $95

Mine's a $50 blem. I don't know what they consider blemished on it. I can't find any issues.
Link Posted: 7/8/2012 4:35:51 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Mine's a $50 blem. I don't know what they consider blemished on it. I can't find any issues.

Lol I have one too im using for a sbr build once my paperwork comes back.  I looked it over very good and the only thing I could find was a small ruff spot from what looks like a spot where they broke it out the mold.  So yea they are a great deal.
Link Posted: 7/8/2012 5:30:17 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

on my marlin 795 they more than clear my m4-1000
Link Posted: 7/15/2012 7:43:22 PM EDT
[#36]
2 questions:
What did you pay for the 10/22 take down?  A couple local shops didn't have it in but said I could get one for a bit over $300. ouch.

Anyone compare the ruger take down and the AGP kit?
http://www.agparms.com/agp-arms-take-down-10-22-kit/

I have a regular 10/22 already so getting the AGP kit would be cheaper and the barrel is already threaded so that saves $.  Is the fit and function as good as the Ruger?
Link Posted: 7/15/2012 9:49:19 PM EDT
[#37]
sgtimj:

Very nice!

PS: What brand of scope base do you have? I like it. Simple and not too tall like many of the 10/22 bases.
Link Posted: 7/16/2012 6:37:04 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
sgtimj:

Very nice!

PS: What brand of scope base do you have? I like it. Simple and not too tall like many of the 10/22 bases.

I think I ended up with a Weaver base on it. Was like $8 from Amazon.  UTG is a good picatinny base, and it's ~ $7.  I have so many 10/22 bases floating around I honestly can't remember.  

The trick to using irons on a 10/22 is to replace them with 77/22 sights or Tech Sights.  The sights Ruger puts on 10/22s are ridiculously low and all but unusable.
Link Posted: 7/16/2012 6:48:14 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
2 questions:
What did you pay for the 10/22 take down?  A couple local shops didn't have it in but said I could get one for a bit over $300. ouch.

Anyone compare the ruger take down and the AGP kit?
http://www.agparms.com/agp-arms-take-down-10-22-kit/

I have a regular 10/22 already so getting the AGP kit would be cheaper and the barrel is already threaded so that saves $.  Is the fit and function as good as the Ruger?

I paid $320 shipped.

I was ready to pull the trigger on the AGP kit when the TD came out.  I like having a traditional forend on the rifle.  AGP hasn't figured out a good way to do that yet.  Their tubular forends are gumpy looking.  I still might do an AGP takedown at some point, just to play with it.
Link Posted: 7/18/2012 6:49:43 AM EDT
[#40]
So is the front sight base pressed on or profiled fom the barrel blank?

-Great looking rifle guys.
Link Posted: 7/18/2012 7:14:52 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

He chops the original base off, bores it out, threads it and times it to the new barrel threads.
Link Posted: 7/18/2012 7:31:16 AM EDT
[#42]
the question that hasn't been asked:  how does it shoot?  Is it a tackdriver, on par with a stock 10-22, or "minute of squirrel"?

I'm guessing it's just about like any 10-22 right out of the box, but had to ask....
Link Posted: 7/18/2012 8:22:11 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

Man, that is SWEET!

How's it shooting?

Link Posted: 7/18/2012 10:33:48 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
the question that hasn't been asked:  how does it shoot?  Is it a tackdriver, on par with a stock 10-22, or "minute of squirrel"?

I'm guessing it's just about like any 10-22 right out of the box, but had to ask....

Shoots really tight with Win subsonics. Haven't tried much else in it. The only thing I notice different from a standard 10/22 is that it is much more sensitive to pressure on the forend, which makes sense because you are basically resting it on its barrel if you stick it on a bench rest. Rest it as far back as you can and it groups tight.
Link Posted: 7/18/2012 10:45:00 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Shoots really tight with Win subsonics. Haven't tried much else in it. The only thing I notice different from a standard 10/22 is that it is much more sensitive to pressure on the forend, which makes sense because you are basically resting it on its barrel if you stick it on a bench rest. Rest it as far back as you can and it groups tight.

That makes sense.

How tight is "really tight"?
Link Posted: 7/18/2012 1:03:21 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Quoted:

He chops the original base off, bores it out, threads it and times it to the new barrel threads.

He also recessed little allen set screws to hold it on mine.
Link Posted: 7/19/2012 10:40:15 AM EDT
[#47]
Well that's inspiring work!

I just picked up a 10/22 TD a few days ago and a some BX mags. In a single session put 400+ rounds of CCI Blazer through it with ZERO failures from the ammo, mags, or rifle. There was all sorts of garbage falling out of the action during mag changes. I wish I would've had a bit more time to dump a few more mags to make it a full brick (next time).

My only gripe about Blazer is it left a little ring of lead in the bore just forward of the chamber, but it leads up my other rimfires far worse with less rounds than I put through the TD.

I think the TD is well worth the extra price over the other models. None of my others have preformed this well and I can't break 'em down.
Link Posted: 8/15/2012 4:18:54 AM EDT
[#48]
Link Posted: 8/15/2012 12:12:16 PM EDT
[#49]
I like.  I like a lot!!!
Link Posted: 8/16/2012 10:03:52 AM EDT
[#50]
You jerks are going to make me buy another gun.  This will go nice with my MkIII tho...

http://www.ar15.com/archive/topic.html?b=5&f=50&t=101233
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top