Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/23/2011 5:23:57 PM EDT
I'm signed up for an Appleseed this weekend, and borrowed two rifles from my father-in-law.  One is an old Model 52 that hasn't been fired in 30+ years.  I took it to the range last night and it was having feeding issues with the aftermarket 10 round magazine, so I'll be using the Remington FieldMaster that I borrowed for this weekend.

Anyways, talking w/ my father in law, he says that there were some front sight inserts available for the Redfield peep sights that he has on it.  He has a single pin on the front, but says that there were other styles available, but he can't find them.  He does so much for me and my family, that I'd love to find these sights for him.  Does anyone have any idea where to start looking?  I'd love to get the rifle set up the way that he dreams of before giving it back!

Thanks!
K
Link Posted: 8/23/2011 6:29:38 PM EDT
[#1]
Brownells sells sight inserts for the Redfield and Lyman front sights.
Link Posted: 8/23/2011 6:38:11 PM EDT
[#2]
you might also be able to find them on ebay... but know what they sell for at Brownell's first!

you can get factory 4rd mags, and i think there's a 10rd mak that fits, but is listed as for one of the itger Winchesters.  for that rifle is worth spending a few bucks for good mags. but some ammo may just not feed reliably due to the bullet shape, trying different ammo will be cheaper than buying a new factory mag.

any round nose solid ammo will probably feed better than anything hollowpoint, but if you were trying Remington Golden Bullets they have a bad reputation for causing feeding problems in semis... i've never tried them in a high end bolt bun but it's entirely possible that a 52 wouldn't like them either.
Link Posted: 8/24/2011 5:54:21 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
you might also be able to find them on ebay... but know what they sell for at Brownell's first!

you can get factory 4rd mags, and i think there's a 10rd mak that fits, but is listed as for one of the itger Winchesters.  for that rifle is worth spending a few bucks for good mags. but some ammo may just not feed reliably due to the bullet shape, trying different ammo will be cheaper than buying a new factory mag.

any round nose solid ammo will probably feed better than anything hollowpoint, but if you were trying Remington Golden Bullets they have a bad reputation for causing feeding problems in semis... i've never tried them in a high end bolt bun but it's entirely possible that a 52 wouldn't like them either.

Honestly I'm not sure what kind of ammo it was, but I think Remington bulk pack.  I've had feed issue's w/ these rounds w/ a Colt Targetsman as well.  I'll try some different ammo, but it looked like the mag wasn't inserted enough to feed the round in.  The bolt was grabbing it, but it wasn't high enough to push into the chamber.

K
Link Posted: 8/24/2011 11:28:46 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 8/24/2011 3:11:43 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
For shooting at round bulls, try an aperture in the front sight.  Only seems weird in your mind.

my Win 52 has a clear plastic front insert with a chamfered hole in the middle. there's no metal to block out the sight picture, but the angled edge of the hole is visible and great for round bulls... they just need to be the right size and at the right distance, but IIRC it works on the 50' smallbore bulls perfectly.

my Mossberg 146BA just got a new front sight that cost half what i paid for the whole gun, but now it has all 4 "posts" and the hood. there are two normal posts, one smaller and one wider, a post with a round dot on top and one with a larger ring with a hole in the middle.

they al work, it's just a matter of what you prefer, bod don't think some of the unusual inserts are useless just because they're not "normal" for other stuff.
Link Posted: 8/30/2011 10:00:23 AM EDT
[#6]
Inserts depend on what model front site you have. 65series (usually found on 513's and similar size rifles) are smaller than the international or olympic fronts usually found ob 52's. Brownells as mentioned is good. And so are the other 2 (champ supply / shooters) . I have several aftermarket mags I got thru brownells years ago that work fine. Originals can be pricey. Esp the 10 round mags. My 52's like standard vel ammo much nite than any bulk stuff.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 9/30/2011 8:06:43 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I'm signed up for an Appleseed this weekend, and borrowed two rifles from my father-in-law.  One is an old Model 52 that hasn't been fired in 30+ years.  I took it to the range last night and it was having feeding issues with the aftermarket 10 round magazine, so I'll be using the Remington FieldMaster that I borrowed for this weekend.

I've got some aftermarket 5rders that I got from Brownells and they work just as well in my 52B as the factory 5rd mag I have.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top