Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/8/2010 4:14:40 AM EDT
Okay, Here's the deal. I bought a rifle the other day, a Magnum Research MagnumLite, chambered in 22WMR. I bought this gun to be a range toy, as I do not hunt and I only shoot for fun. There isn't much info posted about this rifle, so I thought I would do a little review.

DISCLAIMER: I am in no way affiliated with Magnum Research, Nikon, or any other companies mentioned. I am also, by far, not a top notch marksman, so please do not look at my data and think this is a reflection of the gun only. I am a regular Joe, who bought a rifle and doing a brief review on it, nothing more. I also do not claim to be a professional photographer, so please excuse my crappy pictures.

With that out of the way, lets start with a few pictures.

Specs:
Magnum Research MagnumLite rifle, 22WMR
Nikon Monarch 5-20 X 44 with Over-sized Turrets
TPS TSR-W Rings, Low Height

The first thing you probably noticed is the fact that it bears a resemblance to the Ruger 10/22. It is in essence, a modernized version of the 10/22 magnum. It has a "gas block" under the barrel that claims to dissipate some of the gasses so that the receiver does not get beat to hell. The block is mounted under the barrel and hidden by the stock.

I bought the gun new, and of course took it home to do the first cleaning. It breaks down and cleans just like a 10/22, and it even has a hole in the back of the receiver for a cleaning rod. The receiver also has a Weaver style rail built into it, and MR claims that it is high enough that almost any 50mm objective scope should clear using low rings. I have a 44mm scope and I have tons of room with low rings. A few more things worth noting is the graphite barrel it comes with, and the Houge over-molded stock all came from the factory like that. It is also offered with the Barracuda stock, but I did not like the way that stock handled.

The only thing I did not like was the fact that it came with a regular flush mount mag release, so changing mags was a bit of a hassle, but I got the hang of it and its not too bad now. I would have liked to see a machined aluminum (same color as the receiver) extended mag release.

SHOOTING THE GUN:

I took the gun out shooting and was very happy with it overall. I zeroed in the scope and then shot a few fun groups with different ammo, and then did my load testing to see what shot the best out of it. I tested the following rounds.

(From Left To Right)
Winchester Supreme 30 Grain JHP
Federal Champion 40 Grin FMJ
Remington Premeier 33 Grain AccuTip-V
Remington 40 Grain Pointed Soft Point
CCI Maxi-Mag 40 Grain JHP
CCI Maxi-Mag 40 Grain FMJ

They all shot pretty well, although they could have done allot better if I was a better shooter than I am.

I did have a few issues with the gun. I had 2 or 3 rounds that would start to chamber, but would get stuck about halfway, then stop. I have a feeling it may be due to inconsistencies in the ammo, as well as the combination of a dirty chamber and a tighter chamber. I shot 250 rounds today, with only about 5 issues overall. I had one failure to feed, and one round that did not eject from the chamber all the way and jammed it when the next round went to load in.

I think overall, the gun did well, and I am very pleased with the setup and the rifle. I did mention the issues because while they were few, they did happen. I think if I cleaned it throughout the day, even a quick bore snake, then the problems would be allot less frequent.

I know you guys are probably wondering how well it shoot group wise, so here are some targets. The federal does not have a target here because I had 3 of the 5 issues were with that ammo, and it also grouped visually worse then what I will post. I will post the picture of the group, and then the APPROXIMATE measurement, center to center, of the group. Groups were at 50 yards from a front sandbag and a towel under the rear for height adjustment. I could not use a bag under the back as the bench was tipped forward, so it would have made it pointing too low.

Please also note that the scope was not 100% sighted in, and it was also NOT changed when I went from company to company of ammo.

Winchester Supreme
Group 1
  3 shot = .475
  5 shot = .875
Group 2
  3 Shot = .525
  5 Shot = 1.250
Group 3
  3 Shot = .475
  5 Shot = 1.250

Remington AccuTip-V
Group 1
  3 shot = .425
  5 shot = .925
Group 2
  3 Shot = .375
  5 Shot = .800
Group 3
  3 Shot = .350
  5 Shot = 1.250

Remington PSP
Group 1
  3 shot = .750
  5 shot = 1.800
Group 2
  3 Shot = .750
  5 Shot = 1.475
Group 3
  3 Shot = .500
  5 Shot = 1.200

CCI JHP
Group 1
  3 shot = .525
  5 shot = .925
Group 2
  3 Shot = .250
  5 Shot = 1.225
Group 3
  3 Shot = .325
  5 Shot = .725

CCI FMJ
Group 1
  3 shot = .400
  5 shot = 1.600
Group 2
  3 Shot = .625
  5 Shot = 1.300
Group 3
  3 Shot = .725
  5 Shot = 1.500

Overall, It shot well. I was having no problem hitting playing cards at 50 yards. The groups were a bit rushed, and I know I am not the best shooter, but at least I did all the groups so there is a consistency to that. I also know I probably left out some info, so if you want to know more, Just ask, I have no problem sharing.

Thanks again
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 7:49:03 AM EDT
[#1]
Looks like a nice rifle. Thanks for the write up.

I am curious though, considering this is a range only rifle, why did you go .22WMR instead of .22LR?
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 7:54:39 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Looks like a nice rifle. Thanks for the write up.

I am curious though, considering this is a range only rifle, why did you go .22WMR instead of .22LR?

I went with the 22 WMR because I already have a M&P 15-22. I wanted the better range of bullets types, IE the balistic tips and TNT rounds if i ever went hunting with it. And if I do hunt with it, It will be within 100 yards, and I will have 2 to 3 times the power as a 22LR.

And for some reason, I dont know why, I have always wanted a semi-auto 22 WMR.

I was looking at the 22LR, but I knew I would have kicked myself in the ass if I didnt buy the 22WMR, and to be honest, I am glad I did after shooting it.
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 9:52:25 AM EDT
[#3]
thanks for the write up.

clown
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 2:04:46 PM EDT
[#4]
Very nice looking rifle.

Link Posted: 9/8/2010 4:02:04 PM EDT
[#5]
Great write up...........Thanks
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 4:49:08 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Thanks.

There isn't allot out there on this rifle, and I figured I would try to shine some light on it. It was my first write up to, so i know its not the greatest, but it does help a little bit.
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 4:50:36 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks.

There isn't allot out there on this rifle, and I figured I would try to shine some light on it. It was my first write up to, so i know its not the greatest, but it does help a little bit.

ETA: Thanks for the kind words about the rifle and the write up.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top