Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/29/2010 9:03:48 AM EDT
I have an extra completed lower laying around waiting on a middie build. I have reconsidered priorities. I have a mountain of .22 ammo and shooting a lot of .556 is starting to hurt. (and yes, just the wallet )

I have seen various threads on conversions and dedicated uppers, but was hoping someone could direct me to a big, beefy thread or review that would cover all the obvious bases - durabiltiy, function/reliability w/ various loads, accuracy, etc. I have seen limited threads on Spikes, TacSol, CMMG, DPMS, etc. Little help?

Thanks in advance.

Keib
Link Posted: 1/29/2010 9:08:38 AM EDT
[#1]
Go to the pistol and rimfire section under the AR 15 tab here in AR 15.com.  There are numerous threads on 22 uppers and conversion kits.  Near the top is a sticky from SpecOps-13 on accuracy testing on dedicated uppers and conversion kits.  Lots of good info and many pictures to boot.  Enjoy!
Link Posted: 1/29/2010 9:23:54 AM EDT
[#2]
holy crap...sorry guys. Lot of info over there.
Link Posted: 1/29/2010 9:46:05 AM EDT
[#3]
If you decide to get a conversion kit here is a great deal on one.
Link Posted: 1/29/2010 10:21:47 AM EDT
[#4]
There's a few problems posted lately on the Tactical solutions upper, don't let it scare you away, they are great complete uppers and can be had for $485.
Link Posted: 1/29/2010 10:53:19 AM EDT
[#5]
I'd rather go "dedicated". I have a fist-full of AR's in .556, and rather doubt I'd do much swapping around. Spikes looks tough to beat and they are somewhat local to me - couple hours.
Link Posted: 1/29/2010 12:20:09 PM EDT
[#6]
I have two dedicated 22 uppers one is a model 1sales that I have put over 15k rds through and it has never skipped a beat, the other is a tacsol upper that I got about two months ago, on that one I had some initial problems.

I ended up replacing the hammer spring and trigger springs and the problems were resolved, although I still do get some malfunctions with it, they are few and far between.

The model 1 sales is the heavy model carbine and like I said this upper has never had a problem of any type, I shoot only fed bulk ammo from wally world. The lower I use is a bushmaster

The only problem with model 1 sales is they are swamped with orders and the wait for one can be long. At least that is what I heard about a month ago.  When I ordered mine over a year ago I got it in 5 days.
Link Posted: 1/29/2010 1:38:34 PM EDT
[#7]
M1S is 8-12 weeks behind, but at the gun show, they have uppers on hand
Link Posted: 1/29/2010 5:22:09 PM EDT
[#8]
I went with an entire dedicated 22 AR!  I figure I'll shoot it enough to make it worthwhile.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top