Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/25/2009 10:57:29 PM EDT
Okay so I've been meaning to get in to lever guns for a while, and this thread got the wheels spinning yet again.

I don't know how to create a poll, but I'm looking for your thoughts on the best Lever-action .22 rifle.

Thanks much!
Link Posted: 3/26/2009 4:21:25 AM EDT
[#1]
The Best?  Marlin 39.  It will cost you $500 though, but shop around, I got a Marlin 39C-LTD for $350.

I hear Henry's are good, but I am not a fan of their pot metal receivers.
Link Posted: 3/26/2009 4:23:27 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 3/26/2009 4:52:24 AM EDT
[#3]
Pre 1984 Marlin 39A

shop around.  you will find them for $350-$400.  These guns are overbuilt so if it was taken care of, you can bet it is a good shooter.

Why pre 1984?   1984 started the slide to "safety"  Marlin gave them a hammer block safety for people too dumb (lawyers ) to use half-cock and keep their finger off the trigger and a rebounding hammer, which I have no clue as to what it is, but it affects trigger feel.  (can be removed from what I understand)

They are a ton of fun and old-timers swarm you at the range to take a peek at it

The Henry is nice, and the action feels even better than the marlin, but the Marlin is better in every regard.  Don't let the extra weight scare ya!  The weight is good for ya!  I was debating between a $320 Henry or a $400 used scoped Marlin in great shape.  It was my wedding present to myself and I ended up with the rifle that I can pass down to grandkids that I havent even thought of having yet.

read up here

http://www.marlinowners.com/forums/index.php?board=11.0

Link Posted: 3/26/2009 6:35:47 AM EDT
[#4]
Ruger 9622 is a nice lever gun which uses most 10/22 mags, bbls, etc.
Link Posted: 3/26/2009 8:14:52 AM EDT
[#5]
I'm partial towards Marlin, although I have to say I like the really short stroke of the Browning's action.
Link Posted: 3/26/2009 8:32:25 AM EDT
[#6]
Marlin 39 Century Limited, pictured above.  I have two of 'em.  Won a Henry as a door prize once.  Ran about a box of ammo through it and sold it at a gunshow.
Link Posted: 3/26/2009 5:12:49 PM EDT
[#7]
I'm not impressed with Henry's
I like Marlin's.  They're built well, but I bought a Browing BL22 back in January.
Mainly because the action is so incredibly smooth and its a very short throw lever.  I also like the wood and the blueing better.

If I had another couple hundred bucks to blow, it would have been a Winchester...
Link Posted: 3/26/2009 5:18:04 PM EDT
[#8]
There can be only one.

The early Winchester are the finest you can get.
Nothing smoother then them.
Link Posted: 3/26/2009 5:41:44 PM EDT
[#9]
I just bought a Henry. I love it. It is tight, solid feeling, and the action is smooth, and the gun is accurate.
I'v never shot a marlin .22 lever, but what makes it worth $500.00, or better than a henry?
Link Posted: 3/26/2009 6:09:41 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
There can be only one.

The early Winchester are the finest you can get.
Nothing smoother then them.

I have the 9422M in wrm, great little survival gun...
Link Posted: 3/26/2009 6:12:17 PM EDT
[#11]
Winchester 9422 It only cost a few bucks more to go first class..
Link Posted: 3/26/2009 6:55:43 PM EDT
[#12]
marlin 39a. I have two of them and the are built like a tank and shoot like a dream. My father-in-law has a couple of henrys. As others have mentioned the action on them feels really smooth and I think they are good rifles, but I wouldn't trade my marlin for one of them. y
Link Posted: 3/26/2009 6:56:49 PM EDT
[#13]
Marlin 39TDS.
Link Posted: 3/27/2009 1:41:23 AM EDT
[#14]
The Marlin 39, Winchester 9422 and Browning BL-22 are all excellent and basically equal but different. I have all three and like various features of each. The Marlin is probably my favorite by a slim margin.
Link Posted: 3/27/2009 8:40:33 AM EDT
[#15]
Winchester 9422 XTR
Link Posted: 3/27/2009 8:51:10 AM EDT
[#16]
I was thinking about going to go pick up a Marlin 39a at the gun shop today and you guys just made up my mind.

Side question, does anyone know if there is a way to get non checkered wood furniture for the Marlin?
Link Posted: 3/27/2009 9:41:22 AM EDT
[#17]
Marlin 39a. They still make them new in the USA. Nothing more to be said.
Link Posted: 3/28/2009 9:50:30 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Pre 1984 Marlin 39A

shop around.  you will find them for $350-$400.  These guns are overbuilt so if it was taken care of, you can bet it is a good shooter.

Why pre 1984?   1984 started the slide to "safety"  Marlin gave them a hammer block safety for people too dumb (lawyers ) to use half-cock and keep their finger off the trigger and a rebounding hammer, which I have no clue as to what it is, but it affects trigger feel.  (can be removed from what I understand) The trigger is stiff from the factory and the hammer rebound is irritating at best. The hammer strut is shaped like a wishbone in order to achieve the rebound function. I dremelled off the rebound strut and replaced the factory hammer spring with a Wolff reduced power spring. Even so, without the rebound strut the firing pin still smacks the cases very hard. After this, I had a gunsmith work the trigger and sear. The pull is now 2.5 pounds with very little creep.

They are a ton of fun and old-timers swarm you at the range to take a peek at it

The Henry is nice, and the action feels even better than the marlin, but the Marlin is better in every regard.  Don't let the extra weight scare ya!  The weight is good for ya!  I was debating between a $320 Henry or a $400 used scoped Marlin in great shape.  It was my wedding present to myself and I ended up with the rifle that I can pass down to grandkids that I havent even thought of having yet.

Another modification I would recommend is a williams or lyman receiver aperture sight. A tang sight would work equally well.

Get the 39. You will always regret it if you do not. Mine is the most accurate field-shooting rifle for small game that I own.
read up here

ETA: Format

Link Posted: 3/28/2009 10:58:12 AM EDT
[#19]
I have never shot a Marlin or Browning, so I can't comment on those rifles, but I am really impressed with my Henry. It's reliable, accurate, fun to shoot, and eats anything you feed it. It has a smooth action, nice trigger, and a nice walnut stock set.
Link Posted: 3/28/2009 12:13:22 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
I just bought a Henry. I love it. It is tight, solid feeling, and the action is smooth, and the gun is accurate.
I'v never shot a marlin .22 lever, but what makes it worth $500.00, or better than a henry?

Durability. While the Henry IS a nice gun, the actual receiver is a skeletonized piece with a "lightweight alloy" cover. Not really up to getting knocked around any (although I could be wrong, this is just my opinion); I look at 'em as more of a recreational gun, whereas the Marlin is designed and built to earn its' keep the hard way.
Link Posted: 3/28/2009 1:23:09 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Durability. While the Henry IS a nice gun, the actual receiver is a skeletonized piece with a "lightweight alloy" cover. Not really up to getting knocked around any (although I could be wrong, this is just my opinion); I look at 'em as more of a recreational gun, whereas the Marlin is designed and built to earn its' keep the hard way.

Playing the Devil's Advocate here, but how often is the 10/22's longevity questioned because of an alloy receiver?
Link Posted: 3/28/2009 1:30:42 PM EDT
[#22]
Playing the Devil's Advocate here, but how often is the 10/22's longevity questioned because of an alloy receiver?
That's a good point, but then the 10/22's receiver is a solid piece.
Link Posted: 3/28/2009 1:37:53 PM EDT
[#23]
Mossberg has one listed, not sure if it has hit the shelves yet. I don't have a lever .22 myself so can't comment on the best.
Link Posted: 3/28/2009 1:38:33 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Ruger 9622 is a nice lever gun which uses most 10/22 mags, bbls, etc.

96/22 + Can = win

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top