Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/12/2006 5:47:31 PM EDT
hey, first post,

i have a ruger 10/22 and was interested in this 17hmr round stuff.

what is the purpose of this round?
is it more expensive?
how can i be able to shoot this round?

also, i was looking at the new springfield xd .45  what is the difference between .45acp and .45gap

thanks guy
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 8:40:24 PM EDT
[#1]
Howdy and welcome to the forum,

The 17HMR is pretty much a 22 magnum case necked down to 17 caliber.  It offers a higher velocity and a flatter trajectory than the 22 magnum by sacrificing bullet weight and energy.  It is a inherently accurate cartridge in the many rifles it is offered in.  I don't hunt with mine, but it is often used for hunting small varmints such as prairie dogs.  It is more expensive than .22LR.  I pay about $10 for a box of 50.  If you want to shoot this round I would recommend just buying a new rifle.  There are some people here www.rimfirecentral.com who have made extensive modifications to a 10/22 so it could shoot the longer magnum rounds.  You can also buy a conversion that will allow your 10/22 to shoot the 17HM2 round.  It shorter than the 17HMR, being a .22 stinger length case necked to 17 caliber.  Hope this helps
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 7:29:11 AM EDT
[#2]
The 17hmr is a good round depending on what you are using it for.  I wouldn't buy it just for a casual plinker.  I use mine for groundhogs and squirrel hunting once in a while-make head shots on squirrels.  I usually can buy 50 rounds for $8-9.  It is a very accurate round and flat shooting.  
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 11:58:03 PM EDT
[#3]
thanks guys, i think ill stick to my plinker ammo!
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 5:34:59 PM EDT
[#4]
meszues, 22Lr is great for plinking but the 17 HMR and 17 M2 shoot very tiny groups!  I love mine.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top